Amount

Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

09 Feb 2015 19:55 #40322 by AJF
So says comicbookmovie.com. They have a pic of her in Earth style clothing. Plus, she has memory loss and will fight an unnamed supervillan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
More
09 Feb 2015 20:06 #40323 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

AJF wrote: So says comicbookmovie.com. They have a pic of her in Earth style clothing. Plus, she has memory loss and will fight an unnamed supervillan.


Saw that too....they've already introduced Absorbing Man (who was a foe of Thor's). Could it be him or dare I say his girlfriend (Titania)?

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2015 01:32 #40347 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
Shield seems to get more interesting by the minute, haven't seen the season 2 episodes yet but I've read there are at least two female inhumans in the weekly cast and don't those inhumans have super strength as part of the getting started set of default powers ? :)

ps: please minimize spoilers as I would like to watch season 2 when it finishes airing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2015 06:46 - 11 Feb 2015 06:47 #40350 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
Jamie Alexander is a great as Sif, and is fun in the role. Shes got a natural Charisma thats enjoyable that feels very diffrent then other female heroines that MCU have done. You never get the sence that she mopes a lot. She kicks ass without seeming like a generic ass kicker.

I hope they figure out ways to give her more to do with the part then an ocasional Guest spot on AOS and Thors sidekck. I am not sre i would want to give her own movie, but say a TV series even just in a supporting role she would do great at.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 06:47 by castor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2015 13:17 #40359 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
She could easily be a core member of The Defenders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 06:11 #40955 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
Lady Sif has returned to Agents of SHIELD this week, and Jamie Alexander is great as usual, although Sif seemed a big depowered on this appearance. Still way stronger than any human, but not as overwhelming as she was last time. Or so it looked to me. She got her butt kicked by a Kree.

And Skye is really starting to shake things up, opening the door to the classic story line about a scary super-being who is a danger to everyone around them until they learn to control their powers. I can see they are really going to play that up in future weeks.

This show continues to surprise and please me. Wasn't sure about it at first, but now I'm a fan. Marvel continues to do a lot of things right.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
13 Mar 2015 16:49 #40965 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
I wasn't quite sure of the power level of the Kree she was facing. They do have a range. For example, Ronan the Accuser (who appeared in a in Guardians), is Kree and is quite powerful. Even in the comics he's a match to fight Thor (or even the entire Avengers). In the Movie he kicks around Drax who is no slouch.

That this Kree was using a Hammer is making me think he was one of the more powerful Kree. Though it was much smaller than the Accusers hammers. Ordinary Kree are supposed to be great warriors too, except as these things go they end up being cannon fodder if they fight super-heroes. But there is a but of a ...I forget the trope. "one of something x" very "100 of something". If you face ONE Darth Vader. Holy Shit. You face 100 Darth Vadars, 99 of them are going to go down really easily. So, face an army base of Kree, or a large attack? They get knocked out without problems. Face ONE Kree...you might have a problem. In this case, I always take it that the lone Kree Warrior is just "the best of the best"... the equivalent of fighting Artemis or Wonder Woman instead of a run of the mill Amazon warriors, or even that he's one of their "super heroes". He did have that funky amnesia hammer.

One of the things that is getting me about the last episode is the very human hypocrisy, it's so realistic and true that people twig on the things they are most guilty about. Like Mack giving Fitz crap over "secrets". Or for that matter Simmons being upset with Ftiz over not telling her important things (if you don't want this to happen, maybe you don't do it yourself?) Though I sympathize with Simmons over this a bit. I don't sympathize over her weird reaction to people with powers. I get that they are dangerous, but she's like freaked out a level or two beyond what is needed (even blames the Avengers for the things that happen to them, rather than is caused by them). That too is quite human (her freaking out), as is her not seeing that she's being a bit unreasonable in her response, so that it's reasonable for others around her to act weirdly.

Also, the Krees reaction is interesting too. He was an idealist ... fighting against past crimes of his people. And seem very honorable .. except he was quite willing to just view Skye as a thing, a broken weapon that needed to be destroyed. Really great writing. (Also, convenient having to send him away, rather than getting to use his tech to find the loose Kree Tech.)

And in Skye's case she might actually BE dangerous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 18:18 - 13 Mar 2015 18:35 #40968 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD
Well in Guardians they faced a Kree, who Drax who is setup as the ultimate badass easily gets taken downby-they only defeat him using a cube with godlike powers.

There is a tendency in Sciece fiction for "Well this is the first time we encountered a monster-man hes a tough-next year will face hundred at once and not break a sweat" But keep in mind with the Kree- they have a good reason to build them up as incredibly dangerous and powerful...

Cause well in a couple of years there doing a superhero movie with a character who has the power of the Kree in her blood.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 18:35 by castor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 19:06 #40969 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I wasn't quite sure of the power level of the Kree she was facing. They do have a range. For example, Ronan the Accuser (who appeared in a in Guardians), is Kree and is quite powerful. Even in the comics he's a match to fight Thor (or even the entire Avengers). In the Movie he kicks around Drax who is no slouch.

That this Kree was using a Hammer is making me think he was one of the more powerful Kree. Though it was much smaller than the Accusers hammers. Ordinary Kree are supposed to be great warriors too, except as these things go they end up being cannon fodder if they fight super-heroes. But there is a but of a ...I forget the trope. "one of something x" very "100 of something". If you face ONE Darth Vader. Holy Shit. You face 100 Darth Vadars, 99 of them are going to go down really easily. So, face an army base of Kree, or a large attack? They get knocked out without problems. Face ONE Kree...you might have a problem. In this case, I always take it that the lone Kree Warrior is just "the best of the best"... the equivalent of fighting Artemis or Wonder Woman instead of a run of the mill Amazon warriors, or even that he's one of their "super heroes". He did have that funky amnesia hammer.

One of the things that is getting me about the last episode is the very human hypocrisy, it's so realistic and true that people twig on the things they are most guilty about. Like Mack giving Fitz crap over "secrets". Or for that matter Simmons being upset with Ftiz over not telling her important things (if you don't want this to happen, maybe you don't do it yourself?) Though I sympathize with Simmons over this a bit. I don't sympathize over her weird reaction to people with powers. I get that they are dangerous, but she's like freaked out a level or two beyond what is needed (even blames the Avengers for the things that happen to them, rather than is caused by them). That too is quite human (her freaking out), as is her not seeing that she's being a bit unreasonable in her response, so that it's reasonable for others around her to act weirdly.

Also, the Krees reaction is interesting too. He was an idealist ... fighting against past crimes of his people. And seem very honorable .. except he was quite willing to just view Skye as a thing, a broken weapon that needed to be destroyed. Really great writing. (Also, convenient having to send him away, rather than getting to use his tech to find the loose Kree Tech.)

And in Skye's case she might actually BE dangerous.


It looks like they are setting Simmons up for having full-scale PTSD. Which is good writing. She's not a soldier and she's been in some unbelievably dangerous and lethal situations where people she really likes have been killed. So her deteriorating mental/emotional state is believable.

And as you say, Skye is really dangerous and she hasn't even begun to get a handle on it. Skye has always been emotional and now her emotions can kill the people around her. And Simmons is totally freaked out by people with powers, including Skye. Plus they are creating other tensions in the team that will play out soon.

Next few episodes should be interesting. Overall, a great show with good writing. Marvel at its best.

But I would like to see Sif go full Wonder Woman mode. She's a premier warrior of Asgard. Comics databases say she should have the strength to lift 30 tons -- or more -- but the show puts her more in the "several times that of a human" strength range. But that's probably just the usual tendency in TV shows to de-power most characters, I'm presuming for affordable special effects reasons. Hard to find opponents who can duke it out with a fully empowered Asgardian. Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Spiderman. Not too many others in Marvel universe and certainly no humans would be alive after the first punch.

But TV shows are always more about complex, evolving relationships and emotions, with the extreme powers kind special effects reserved for the big movies. In this show, May can hold her own against Sif for a bit -- which is silly. The comic-book Sif could turn her into a cloud of pink mist with a single full-power punch. Instead, we see Sif punching a human only hard enough to toss them across the room, where they slowly get back up to fight some more.

Not complaining... Sif is a cool character either way. But TV plays down the super strength stuff... aways.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
13 Mar 2015 19:37 #40970 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

shadar wrote: But I would like to see Sif go full Wonder Woman mode. She's a premier warrior of Asgard. Comics databases say she should have the strength to lift 30 tons -- or more -- but the show puts her more in the "several times that of a human" strength range. But that's probably just the usual tendency in TV shows to de-power most characters, I'm presuming for affordable special effects reasons. Hard to find opponents who can duke it out with a fully empowered Asgardian. Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Spiderman. Not too many others in Marvel universe and certainly no humans would be alive after the first punch.

But TV shows are always more about complex, evolving relationships and emotions, with the extreme powers kind special effects reserved for the big movies. In this show, May can hold her own against Sif for a bit -- which is silly. The comic-book Sif could turn her into a cloud of pink mist with a single full-power punch. Instead, we see Sif punching a human only hard enough to toss them across the room, where they slowly get back up to fight some more.

Not complaining... Sif is a cool character either way. But TV plays down the super strength stuff... aways.

Shadar


Well i do think in general its a lot to ask of any media to have a character no matter how strong in the comics punch someone and have them turn in red mist-especially a heroic character.

Super strength in general is a hard power to visualize on screen-not just in special effects but just in framing-and yeah on TV time frames its doubly hard.

Jamie Alexander is on a Pilot for NBC this year so i think likely Sifs days in the Marvel cinematic Universe may be limited to cameos-which is a shame. Its not the special effects in the end that makes the heroine-its her ability to seem somewhere between the most dedicated warrior in the universe-and a bit casually fun that makes the character more then any we have really seen in modern movies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 19:52 #40971 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

shadar wrote:
It looks like they are setting Simmons up for having full-scale PTSD. Which is good writing. She's not a soldier and she's been in some unbelievably dangerous and lethal situations where people she really likes have been killed. So her deteriorating mental/emotional state is believable.


The PTSD comment is spot on. it's something that you'd think that SHIELD would be on the lookout for, and have training to spot. She at least has gotten weird looks from Coulson and Fitz. I think Fitz is damaged enough that he might not recognize mental illness at this point, or rather he just identifies with it. He accepts it, rather than thinking he should report the person for needing therapy (especially Simmons who he has other problems with). A great setup where the person most likely to see that she needs help is also the person who for multiple reasons, never will do anything about it, even though he twigged to her state right away.

At first I thought the broken Fitz was a bit gimmicky. But it's very realistic for what he'd gone through, and he's handling it well. The show writing also remembers, and deals with it. The way it's been handled has really grown on me, and the way that Fitz' has grown due to it as well.

Coulson gave both Skye and Simmons weird looks like "this doesn't really add up, and I'm going to have to figure out why at some point". He's figured out Skye's problem, I wonder how long before he twigs to Simmons. And worse, how long before he can actually do without her long enough to get her help.

May plays things close, so I couldn't tell if really twigged that something is wrong with Simmons or not.

And I doubly agree that Super Strength is always given a strong variable in shows (all of them not just SHIELD). There are many characters that if they landed a blow on a normal human, the human is as you said "pink mist", the only defense being rolling with the blow, directing the blow away from you, or not getting hit. There is no "blocking" or "surviving a punch" (maybe a glancing blow). May is good enough for those, but they show her taking a hit ... and getting back up. Unless May is enhanced in some way, that's not really possible.

I will say, I really did like the effects of Skye shaking the gun apart in her hands. Though I did wonder why it took several seismic events before someone really noticed. I guess one of them said "Again!?!", but you'd think the sensors would have pointed to the containment lab as the epicenter....
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2015 00:11 #40972 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Sif returns to Agensts of SHIELD

castor wrote: Jamie Alexander is on a Pilot for NBC this year so i think likely Sifs days in the Marvel cinematic Universe may be limited to cameos-which is a shame. Its not the special effects in the end that makes the heroine-its her ability to seem somewhere between the most dedicated warrior in the universe-and a bit casually fun that makes the character more then any we have really seen in modern movies.


Jaime's characterization of Sif is pretty cool... she can be hard-assed or she can almost be whimsical. We need a drinking (or whatever) scene where she lets her hair down and parties. A drunk Asgardian would be either mind-numbingly dangerous or an absolute riot of fun. I'm guessing with Sif it would be the later.

I think if we had an SWM contest for "What superhuman do you want to go drinking with?" that Sif might rank pretty high on the list. But I'm guessing it takes a lot to get an Asgardian drunk. Afterward, you wouldn't want her in your car. "Oops, sorry about the door. Hope it didn't hit anyone." Even a walk home could be hazardous. She might decide to pull all the street light posts out of the concrete to practice her caber tossing... ]just for the drunken hell of it.

Eventually you'd make it to your place, which might open the door to even more exotic problems.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • shadar
  • shadar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds