- Sapphire Angel – Beginnings (Chapters 36...
- Hyperwoman – Chapter One: Where Am I
- Sapphire Angel – Beginnings (Chapters 34...
- Atypical Vacation – Friday & Saturday
- Atypical Vacation – Wednesday & Thursday
- The Superhuman Prostitute - Chapter 4
- Atypical Vacation – Monday & Tuesday
- Sapphire Angel – Beginnings (Chapters 32...
- The Phoenix Initiative - Chapter 11
- Elza Sabini's School for Enhanced Indivi...
Me, Myself & I
2015 Winter Workshop AnnouncementWritten by Larafan
In celebration of the premiere of Supergirl on CBS here in the States, SWM would like to declare the 2015 Winter Writer's Workshop Open! For those unfamiliar with our writing workshops, it is basically a workshop/contest where we challenge our fanbase to create a story matching a particular theme (e.g. "Sibling Rivalry"). Well, after almost 30 different workshops, we've decided to take different spin on the Workshop this time, in an effort to pull in more entries -- from existing and new authors! Rather than having the participants write and create a story around a central theme, we're simply going to provide the following three 'writing prompts' from which the user will be required to pick one as the first sentence of their entry:
- The young woman stood silently with her fists clenched as she stared up at the massive steel door.
- She instinctively groaned softly as she suddenly regained consciousness, feeling suddenly energized more than she had ever felt before.
- The gunman smirked as he suddenly raised his weapon and fired it suddenly at the woman.
After that first sentence, it's completely up to the author! Two page superheroine anecdote? 10,000 word ubergirl saga? Simply a kick-ass action scene in a few paragraphs? Pulse racing supervillainess rampage scene? A power fantasy dream sequence? It's all whatever the author feels suits them best!
This go-round there is no word minimum or maximum, and the entry does not even have to be a complete story or involve a complete plot (though that would probably garner more votes, IMO). Also to note is that after starting with one of the prompts, the entry does not have to simply progress from there. Flashbacks, flash-forwards, and even flash-sideways are perfectly allowed if the author so desires.
We purposefully tried to make things as 'generic' as possible for the authors to take their own literary license and head down more than one possible path, so hopefully one (or more) of these ideas will get some creative ubergirl ideas percolating inside some of our authors heads.
Due to the 'experimentation nature' of this workshop, we've decided to not award prizes this go-round, other than bragging rights. Our goal , as with all the workshops, is to provide some fresh content for the Library as well as foster some dormant creativty in the minds of not only our existing writers but also any budding authors out there.
As for the "rules", here they are:
- Each entry MUST start with one of the three provided prompts
- Authors may submit up to three separate entries
- All entries must include an 'ubergirl' type of character in their story
- All characters must be over the age of 18
- SWM reserves the right to withhold and/or disqualify submitted entries based on their sole discretion of the content.
- Entries must be received no later than Dec 15th, 2015 at 11:59pm EST. SWM, however, reserves the right to grant reasonable deadline extensions.
- Once submitted, entries will be voted on by the SWM user via an online poll