Me, Myself & I
"I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest AnnouncementWritten by Larafan
Calling all artists!
We'd like to announce a new and exciting project here at SuperWomenMania.com that we are currently sponsoring. In an effort to try and provide new and original content to our site followers, we are conducting a themed art contest with CASH PRIZES to the top entries based on a vote from our users.
The art contest will be based on the theme of "I Wish I Was Kryptonian" in which the entries will portray a non-powered female character from comics or animation acquiring, demonstrating, or showing off powers akin to Superman (or Supergirl!). For example, Mary Jane Watson now exhibiting superstrength or Jasmine from Aladdin stopping an army by blowing a sandstorm with her superbreath or Lois Lane shrugging off bullets with her newfound invulnerability. Basically, the sky's the limit with the creative options and characters you have available.
Pique your interest? Well, if the subject matter isn't fun enough already, we're throwing in CASH PRIZES (via Paypal) to the top three entries voted on by our users (via an online poll). The prizes will be as follows: 1st Place = $200, 2nd Place = $125, 3rd Place= $75. Another intangible benefit to the artists will be promotion on our website which could easily result in followup works and commissions by our user community, many of which might already be customers of yours.
CONTEST RULES AND GUIDELINES
2) All work must be new and original. No re-circulating old works that might fit the profile of the contest, please.
3) For this contest, all submissions must be drawn, either by hand or digitally. No 3D modelling submissions or photoshopped images will be accepted.
4) Entries may be as simple as pinups or be an elaborate action panel. The more detailed display of power is probably gonna go over better though. No nudity or sexually graphic scenes are permitted.
6) Entries may be in B&W or colored. Colored (well, good coloring), again, will probably be more popular in the voting.
7) Artists may collaborate and split the prize money if they choose (and if they win). For example, a penciler and a colorist might work together. Any prize money will be paid solely to the submitting artist however.
8) Members of SWM are permitted to "sponsor" an artist (via a commissioned piece) for the contest. Any prize money will be paid solely to the submitting artist however.
9) SWM requires that any submitted artwork not be posted on other sites (e.g. DeviantArt) until AFTER all entries are posted on the site (probably a few days following the Oct 15th deadline). Any submitted artwork discovered in the public domain prior to this will be ineligible for prize winnings.
10) Winners will be decided by a vote of SuperWomenMania's users via an online poll, with each registered user of the site getting one vote. Our site does not allow "robot" registrations so there is little liklihood of autmatically stuffing the ballot box.
11) In the event of a tie, the tying entries will have the option of splitting the combined prize monies (if BOTH artists agree) or having the webmaster break the tie.
12) All winning cash prizes will be paid via Paypal only to the submitting artist's account
14) Artists may submit up to 3 entries if they wish. All posted artwork with credit the artist(s) and also provide a homepage link, if they wish.
15) SWM reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it views as graphic or in poor taste. If you think there might be an issue, please ask first.
SAMPLE CHEAT SHEET OF POSSIBLE CHARACTERS TO USE (not comprehensive)
Mary Jane Watson
Anna from Frozen
Wendy from Peter Pan
Batgirl (any of them)
Alicia from Fantastic Four
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
Lucy from Fairy Tale (Anime)
Roxanna Ritchie from MegaMind
And so on......
SOME OLD EXAMPLES:
Super Zee & Mighty MJ
by Justin Long
by Joe Singleton
Kryptonian Lara Croft
by Tom Burgos
If we get more donations in, I'm considering creating consolation prizes for sub-catagories as well (e.g. best cartoon character, best comic character, best use of superstrength, etc....) which I hope will lure in even more artists, resulting in our best themed gallery ever! PLEASE help me spread the word to your artist friends and anyone that you've commissioned to try and get them to join. I think it should be a fun contest and cannot wait to see what we receive.