Amount

Heads up, workshop announcement

06 Feb 2017 17:08 #52426 by fats
Heads up, workshop announcement was created by fats
Hi all,

Check out the site on the 20th to find out the latest workshop announcement.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunla, Raa, Jabbrwock, Dru1076, Lulu
The topic has been locked.
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Feb 2017 19:23 #52434 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
I would donate a supergirl costume minus the cost of shipping. Small or medium. First time winners preferred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lulu, Markiehoe
  • Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Feb 2017 19:50 #52435 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Heads up, workshop announcement

Sarge395 wrote: I would donate a supergirl costume minus the cost of shipping. Small or medium. First time winners preferred.

That's very generous of you :)
More
07 Feb 2017 21:21 #52437 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Would you ship it worldwide Sarge? I might try my hand at it this time (though I say this all the times)
More
07 Feb 2017 22:39 #52440 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Sure would. But you may be shocked by the cost of shipping, VAT, taxes, duties....
  • Sarge395
More
08 Feb 2017 02:18 #52441 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Yeah, I know. For a Supergirl costume though, I'd consider paying
More
11 Feb 2017 09:14 #52473 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
A lot of people criticize Supergirl for bad writing......Can SWM writers do better? My vote for a workshop is......Write an Episode for Supergirl season 3
More
11 Feb 2017 09:37 - 11 Feb 2017 11:41 #52474 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: A lot of people criticize Supergirl for bad writing......Can SWM writers do better? My vote for a workshop is......Write an Episode for Supergirl season 3

As the winner of the last workshop is up LFan to choose the theme of this one ... we'll see.

Scratch that, I'm an idiot and got the two workshop tracks mixed up.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2017 11:41 by Woodclaw.
More
11 Feb 2017 18:07 #52480 by d_k_c
Oh I was just throwing around an idea. Not suggesting at all that, that should be the theme. As always, I'll support the idea that gains the most traction
More
11 Feb 2017 18:56 #52481 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: Oh I was just throwing around an idea. Not suggesting at all that, that should be the theme. As always, I'll support the idea that gains the most traction

Well it's a good suggestion.
More
12 Feb 2017 13:51 #52492 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Heads up, workshop announcement

d_k_c wrote: Oh I was just throwing around an idea. Not suggesting at all that, that should be the theme. As always, I'll support the idea that gains the most traction

I like the idea but I would prefer it be in a prose format, rather than a script format.

My next idea/topic was to a different slant. Rather than being topical, my idea was to write a first-person ubergirl story since there are not many in the SWM Library. However, that was before Willow's Superior Girl come across the desk.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats
More
12 Feb 2017 18:10 #52496 by d_k_c
Reading script formatted stories are a bit lame, with a few exceptions. So, i agree with lfan, write your regular story just set in the SG television universe. Or if the scope is too narow, any television show that potentially can introduce some uber action. Just one thought,

I like lfans as well, although i don't know if ive ever attempted a first person story before.

As always, the more stories the better, so if any of you have some great ideas, throw them out there
More
15 Feb 2017 21:30 #52559 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Speaking with DKC he's looking for suggestions for the theme of the workshop, so please if you have an idea then post it here.

Fats
  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Feb 2017 02:46 #52568 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
I assumed the theme had already been hammered out and you were waiting to announce it on the 20th.

But if you're taking suggestions:

1. "A Day at the Beach." The superwoman might be a lifeguard, a volleyball player, a swimsuit model on a photoshoot, or just a girl enjoying a day off.

2. "Princess Power." Imagine a Disney princess with super-powers. I've written a couple of chapters of a super Rapunzel story, and a while ago Woodclaw wrote a terrific story about a super Aurora that blended the Disney cartoon with darker elements from European folklore -- one of my favorites. Let's see what our writers might do with Cinderella, Ariel, Jasmine, Belle ...

3. "Supergirl in Training." A novice supergirl is learning how to use her powers, perhaps under the guidance of an experienced super-heroine. Or the story might focus on an academy or boot camp for supergirls.

4. "Who Wants to Be a Superheroine?" For a "reality" TV show, a group of women are given temporary super-powers and make their way through a series of competitions. One or more of them are eliminated at the end of each round. Last one standing gets permanent super-powers. Write an episode of the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Monty, TheOne25
More
16 Feb 2017 03:50 #52569 by lfan
Problem is so many of the obvious/fun themes have been done previously but those are good ideas by Argo.

Similar to the "writing prompt" one we did earlier, I was trying to think outside themes and thought of the Food Network's Chopped where the chefs have to make a dish from 4 separate (and often unrelated) ingredients so it got me thinking of doing a WS with a similar idea like incorporating the following into a story:

Naval vessel
Radioactive waste
Bunny rabbit
A hot dog stand

OR

Green pencil
Machine gun
Sorority house
Armoured car

The items can be completely randy m and literally anything and the only "rule" would be a story entry would hVe to include all of them

Just a thought
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: jumperprime
More
16 Feb 2017 04:04 #52570 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Like maybe,
Long blonde hair
Great biceps
Perky breasts
Long lean legs

Or perhaps pick one from each group:

Car
Boat
Airplane
Motorcycle

Dynamite
C4
U235
Laser

Evil Dictator
Trump and/or Clinton
Greedy industrialist
Any Kardashion
More
16 Feb 2017 04:46 #52571 by thedoc9
Replied by thedoc9 on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
Interesting... I have a theme in mind for if I ever win the chance to decide it, and it's nice to know I'm not the only person interested in stuff geared towards the show.... but the costume offer is certainly intriguing...
More
16 Feb 2017 04:51 #52572 by thedoc9
Replied by thedoc9 on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
It could be fun to have each potential contributor submit four or five words/concepts to Fats, and then after a deadline, he picks four out of a "hat" and assigns a different set of four to each writer. Kind of like an improv game.
More
16 Feb 2017 09:09 #52574 by Woodclaw

argonaut wrote: I assumed the theme had already been hammered out and you were waiting to announce it on the 20th.

But if you're taking suggestions:

1. "A Day at the Beach." The superwoman might be a lifeguard, a volleyball player, a swimsuit model on a photoshoot, or just a girl enjoying a day off.

2. "Princess Power." Imagine a Disney princess with super-powers. I've written a couple of chapters of a super Rapunzel story, and a while ago Woodclaw wrote a terrific story about a super Aurora that blended the Disney cartoon with darker elements from European folklore -- one of my favorites. Let's see what our writers might do with Cinderella, Ariel, Jasmine, Belle ...

3. "Supergirl in Training." A novice supergirl is learning how to use her powers, perhaps under the guidance of an experienced super-heroine. Or the story might focus on an academy or boot camp for supergirls.

4. "Who Wants to Be a Superheroine?" For a "reality" TV show, a group of women are given temporary super-powers and make their way through a series of competitions. One or more of them are eliminated at the end of each round. Last one standing gets permanent super-powers. Write an episode of the show.

I believe that #1 was already tried at least once.
All the others might be interesting to try.

lfan wrote: Problem is so many of the obvious/fun themes have been done previously but those are good ideas by Argo.

Similar to the "writing prompt" one we did earlier, I was trying to think outside themes and thought of the Food Network's Chopped where the chefs have to make a dish from 4 separate (and often unrelated) ingredients so it got me thinking of doing a WS with a similar idea like incorporating the following into a story:

Naval vessel
Radioactive waste
Bunny rabbit
A hot dog stand

OR

Green pencil
Machine gun
Sorority house
Armoured car

The items can be completely randy m and literally anything and the only "rule" would be a story entry would hVe to include all of them

Just a thought
ElF

Not a bad thought, although I think that the one flaw is that some writers might take this too litelraly and insert those words in the first couple of paragraphs and call it a day. On the other hand we could provide a very specific theme and give a couple of words to each author and see what happens. Although this could be more effective as a short workshop.
More
16 Feb 2017 12:42 #52577 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Heads up, workshop announcement
How about "Super but not Kryptonian"?

I think last year the idea was to include Kara at all costs due to the show. But it would be refreshing to specifically exclude her. Might be extended to any ubergirl on TV/Film.
  • njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Feb 2017 13:01 #52578 by Woodclaw

njae wrote: How about "Super but not Kryptonian"?

I think last year the idea was to include Kara at all costs due to the show. But it would be refreshing to specifically exclude her. Might be extended to any ubergirl on TV/Film.

An usual powers workshop, forcing some of us to break to FISS mold would be an interesting idea.
More
16 Feb 2017 13:15 #52579 by njae
I didn't mean to exclude the flying brick package. It's just that I see a way too big focus on Supergirl recently.
  • njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Feb 2017 21:52 #52587 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Heads up, workshop announcement

njae wrote: I didn't mean to exclude the flying brick package. It's just that I see a way too big focus on Supergirl recently.

I would say taking away the flying brick package could be an intresting writing challenge.

Quite honestly most flying bricks are expys in some regard of Supergirl-so to simply say not her isn't much of a challenge.
More
17 Feb 2017 09:20 - 17 Feb 2017 09:37 #52594 by njae

castor wrote:

njae wrote: I didn't mean to exclude the flying brick package. It's just that I see a way too big focus on Supergirl recently.

I would say taking away the flying brick package could be an intresting writing challenge.

Quite honestly most flying bricks are expys in some regard of Supergirl-so to simply say not her isn't much of a challenge.

If I look back at the past workshops, Supergirl featured very prominently with the rest of the DCU right behind. And these stories have a high advantage over those that try to be all original.

Can anybody present a workshop winner that won over something containing DC characters?

Edit:
In general I like Lfans suggestion and would make it so that you give a group of McGuffins responsible for the super powers.

e.g:
Meteor
Super Serum
Ray Gun
Jewelry

or some more unique ways like
Board Game
Shower Gel
Milkshake
Soda Sirup
Dildo
Last edit: 17 Feb 2017 09:37 by njae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fezzini7
  • njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
17 Feb 2017 13:53 #52598 by lfan
I would personally recommend that we do not restrict that FISS power set. That is the site's core competency.

My $.02
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds