Amount

New Captain Marvel

18 Mar 2012 19:42 #26670 by inactive
New Captain Marvel was created by inactive
A quick follow up on LFan's blog post about the new Captain (formerly Ms.) Marvel series. Along with the new series, there will be a new costume:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inactive
  • inactive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
18 Mar 2012 23:20 #26673 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
I can't decide if this costume is a really interesting retro design or a horrible lack of originality. :dry:

More
18 Mar 2012 23:26 #26674 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
Yeah, I'm torn. I usually like the full-body costumes, but this one is leaving me a little cold. Much as I love her iconic sash, I think the costume might be stronger without it.

Apart from that, it's a nice, clean outfit.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
19 Mar 2012 00:27 #26675 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: New Captain Marvel

DietSnapple71 wrote: Yeah, I'm torn. I usually like the full-body costumes, but this one is leaving me a little cold. Much as I love her iconic sash, I think the costume might be stronger without it.

Apart from that, it's a nice, clean outfit.

Yes the sash is definitly part of the problem. It's like they threw it in as a nod to Carol's iconic look over the last 3 decades, but it doesn't fit with the rest.
If I have to point out something that bugs me is the yellow double band and the gloves design. I think they put it in to make things looks more militaresque, but the effect is just wrong.

More
19 Mar 2012 00:42 #26676 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
Yes..I think the design is partly a shoutout to the old outfit combined with a heavy "military" inspired design. Regardless, I think it'll look better without those red, gold, blue backgrounds she's depicted on. Oh yeah...HATE the helmet they've shown (which is the reason for the hair style they say)

ElF

More
19 Mar 2012 01:31 #26677 by inactive

lfan wrote: Yes..I think the design is partly a shoutout to the old outfit combined with a heavy "military" inspired design. Regardless, I think it'll look better without those red, gold, blue backgrounds she's depicted on. Oh yeah...HATE the helmet they've shown (which is the reason for the hair style they say)

ElF

Yeah, in the one sample of actual pages I've seen with the new uniform and helmet, they look atrocious. I'm hoping that's not indicative of how things are going to go.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Apr 2012 04:31 #26962 by ck
Replied by ck on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
Her second (the blue-black lightning bolt) is among my fav superheroine costumes, so this is all pretty soul destroying. The short hair and kree helmet/mask only makes it worse :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface

More
13 Apr 2012 05:23 #26963 by lfan
"Soul destroying" is usually a little over-the-top, but in this case, it's pretty apropos!

ElF

More
13 Apr 2012 06:06 #26964 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: New Captain Marvel

lfan wrote: "Soul destroying" is usually a little over-the-top, but in this case, it's pretty apropos!

ElF

No I think soul destroying fits. that hair style is hideous! She looks ridiculous butch.

Attachment donotwant.jpg not found

Do not want!

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
13 Apr 2012 06:17 #26965 by inactive
It doesn't take much to soften the look, like this cover by Terry Dodson:

terrydodson.deviantart.com/art/Avenging-...Colors-WIP-295072065

Just a touch more length on the hair and a more relaxed (and bullet proof!) pose, improves things.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Grayface

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Apr 2012 06:36 #26966 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
Well lets hope Terry Dodson gets to draw her all the time.

More
13 Apr 2012 07:30 - 13 Apr 2012 07:40 #26967 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
Not a big fan of "practical" outfits on female superheroes. Little things like high heels and shoulder cutouts would go a long way with this costume. I like the sash, accentuates her hips.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 07:40 by Markiehoe. Reason: One more thought

More
13 Apr 2012 07:46 - 13 Apr 2012 07:49 #26968 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
I'm with the rest of you about this recent fashion trend. I'll be happy when the ultra-sexy superheroine look with the thigh high/short skirt/underboob/camel toe thing comes back into style.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 07:49 by yohashuan.

More
13 Apr 2012 07:57 #26969 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Re: New Captain Marvel
A more feminine version of a Kree uniform would not be too much to ask.

More
13 Apr 2012 19:20 #26972 by inactive
I'm actually a big fan of the full-body costume. When it's done right, it's sleek, sexy, powerful, and commanding, which is a great combination for an ubergirl. This is an ubergirl who isn't there to be your eye candy (although she still looks great), she's there to kick someone's ass into orbit and take names.

Think Elseworlds Superwoman, Black Widow, or Zaora. When it's done wrong (cough! new Power Girl cough!), it looks silly.

I have two problems with the new Captain Marvel. The first is that it is sadly replacing an iconic costume which is one of my favorite "swimsuit" style costumes. The second is that it's so close to being the kind of thing I like, but just falls short. Lose the sash, tweak the hair and don't let the artist who did interiors for the first issue anywhere near the character and we might have something I can work with.

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
13 Apr 2012 20:23 #26973 by lfan

DietSnapple71 wrote: I'm actually a big fan of the full-body costume. When it's done right, it's sleek, sexy, powerful, and commanding, which is a great combination for an ubergirl. This is an ubergirl who isn't there to be your eye candy (although she still looks great), she's there to kick someone's ass into orbit and take names.

Think Elseworlds Superwoman, Black Widow, or Zaora. When it's done wrong (cough! new Power Girl cough!), it looks silly.

I have two problems with the new Captain Marvel. The first is that it is sadly replacing an iconic costume which is one of my favorite "swimsuit" style costumes. The second is that it's so close to being the kind of thing I like, but just falls short. Lose the sash, tweak the hair and don't let the artist who did interiors for the first issue anywhere near the character and we might have something I can work with.

Good points....might I add, no helmet, for god's sake! The Dodson pic is MUCH better looking, IMO and I can probably grow into it. The Powergirl costume though is another story.....

ElF

More
14 Apr 2012 09:55 #26979 by inactive

Good points....might I add, no helmet, for god's sake! The Dodson pic is MUCH better looking, IMO and I can probably grow into it. The Powergirl costume though is another story.....

ElF

Oh god, I forgot about the helmet. Hysterical blindness, I think. Okay, three problems with the new costume. THAT HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HELMET!!!

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
07 Jun 2012 06:11 #27527 by inactive

- GeekSeven

• inactive
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds