Amount

Stuntwomen for action movies

21 Dec 2018 13:00 #62360 by slim36
Stuntwomen for action movies was created by slim36
Women that make actors look super
The following user(s) said Thank You: superfunk, aguilauno, Markiehoe, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Dec 2018 13:38 #62361 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Stuntwomen for action movies
One of the big unfairs of the movie industry is that stuntmen and stuntwomen are one of the few categories that aren't featured in any official award cerimony. There is no Academy, Emmy or Razzie for these athletes. :(

More
21 Dec 2018 15:38 #62362 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Stuntwomen for action movies
Interesting watch, ty m8 :)

Peace.

/K

More
22 Dec 2018 02:49 #62370 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Stuntwomen for action movies
The stunt women as seen in Black Scorpion are really something else.
They look and act great in her super sexy costume.
Really a credit to their physical fitness and professionalism.

More
22 Dec 2018 03:47 #62371 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Stuntwomen for action movies

Woodclaw wrote: One of the big unfairs of the movie industry is that stuntmen and stuntwomen are one of the few categories that aren't featured in any official award cerimony. There is no Academy, Emmy or Razzie for these athletes. :(

I suspect they get paid peanuts compared to actors as well. And when they get hurt (and they all eventually do), it gets that much worse. 

But their lot is improving. It sounds like they get respect for helping create the character, in combination with the actor. And we actually know who a few of them are and what they look like now. That wasn't true a decade or two ago.

While it wasn't strictly defined as stunt work, one of my neighbors did all the athletic dancing in the movie Flashdance back in the 80's. She wasn't even credited. Then E! learned about it and interviewed her, and she admitted she did the athletic dancing. That got her blackballed in Hollywood, which was really rotten. She was supposed to be a silent, uncredited dance double so that Jennifer Beals could take the credit. Yet anyone who thought about it for two seconds would have realized that Jennifer didn't have the body to dance like that.

About ten years ago, I sold her a used elliptical running machine. A very high-end model that was way better than I could put to good use. When she tested it, she made that thing spin faster than I thought possible. Her legs literally were a blur. She did that for several minutes and never got out of breath. I was blown away that anyone could have that much fast twitch muscle. She decided my machine could keep up with her. Apparently, she normally broke machines. 

Imagine trying to sell someone a sports car and they jump in and drive it as fast as it can go for a while, pedal stuck on the floor -- on the test drive. That's what it felt like. My wife concluded she was superhuman. Nobody should be able to move that fast. 

I had a somewhat higher threshold for superhuman, but I was very glad to get my money before she burned the damn thing up. Which she eventually did. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
22 Dec 2018 10:13 #62375 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Stuntwomen for action movies

shadar wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: One of the big unfairs of the movie industry is that stuntmen and stuntwomen are one of the few categories that aren't featured in any official award cerimony. There is no Academy, Emmy or Razzie for these athletes. :(

I suspect they get paid peanuts compared to actors as well. And when they get hurt (and they all eventually do), it gets that much worse. 

But their lot is improving. It sounds like they get respect for helping create the character, in combination with the actor. And we actually know who a few of them are and what they look like now. That wasn't true a decade or two ago.

While it wasn't strictly defined as stunt work, one of my neighbors did all the athletic dancing in the movie Flashdance back in the 80's. She wasn't even credited. Then E! learned about it and interviewed her, and she admitted she did the athletic dancing. That got her blackballed in Hollywood, which was really rotten. She was supposed to be a silent, uncredited dance double so that Jennifer Beals could take the credit. Yet anyone who thought about it for two seconds would have realized that Jennifer didn't have the body to dance like that.

About ten years ago, I sold her a used elliptical running machine. A very high-end model that was way better than I could put to good use. When she tested it, she made that thing spin faster than I thought possible. Her legs literally were a blur. She did that for several minutes and never got out of breath. I was blown away that anyone could have that much fast twitch muscle. She decided my machine could keep up with her. Apparently, she normally broke machines. 

Imagine trying to sell someone a sports car and they jump in and drive it as fast as it can go for a while, pedal stuck on the floor -- on the test drive. That's what it felt like. My wife concluded she was superhuman. Nobody should be able to move that fast. 

I had a somewhat higher threshold for superhuman, but I was very glad to get my money before she burned the damn thing up. Which she eventually did. 

Shadar

I don't know how much they got payed, but I know that insurance is really a problem. Being a stunt-double is, of course, considered a high-risk profession, so many of them have really high-price insurances and yet they often have problems with companies.
My sister works in the movie industry as a prostethic make-up artist and she told me a couple of stories. When she was in South Africa working on the last Resident Evil movie Olivia Jackson, one of stunt-doubles of Mila Jovovich, had an accident while doing a dry run for a motorcycle chase scene. She was rushed to the hospital and they had to amputate her left arm. Even after that she had trouble obtaining money from the insurance company.

More
22 Dec 2018 15:04 - 22 Dec 2018 15:07 #62382 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Stuntwomen for action movies
Seems that at some point, CGI will get good enough to not need to put people into high-risk stunts. 

But until then, at least until genetic enhancement becomes the norm, the athletic abilities of stunt actors is as close as we are going to come to real-life superhumans. 

Of course, engineered superhumans (or even cyborgs) are another entire subject, but not one we'll see in our lifetimes. But it's not beyond the pale given enough time and changes that inevitably happen in society. 

It's often been said that if we CAN make it, we WILL. Humans are just like that. 

Until then, we can hope that computer graphics will evolve animation to a level that it is indistinguishable from live-acting. That IS something we can realistically hope for. 

Imagine if any character in a story you write can "become real" within a VR environment, or even ultimately in a Star Trek style holo-deck. Some AI will read your story and make it "real" in those environments. I don't think that's beyond the pale for the next few decades. And it doesn't come with any ethical issues, other than the risk of "VR addiction" -- people losing themselves in fantasy and eschewing reality. 

I remember after Avatar came out that there were people who actually had to get therapy because they wanted to crawl into that world and not come out. Imagine if anything you write could "become alive" in VR in ways that you could not distinguish from reality.

And ultimately with a real-time feedback loop from our brains to the animation that would continually modify the story.  You would "be there" in a direct path from your imagination to 3D immersion-reality, possibly linked to other people's shared VR. That's Holo-deck grade stuff, but possibly all in our heads. 

I suspect the Stories section of SWM would get a LOT more active with people wanting to share their imaginations if the stories became "real" and "participative".

And imagine Woodclaw's plight, given he has to "experience the virtual reality" of all those stories to decide if they are suitable to post. <grin>

Shadar
Last edit: 22 Dec 2018 15:07 by shadar.

• shadar
More
23 Dec 2018 00:54 - 23 Dec 2018 00:55 #62390 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Stuntwomen for action movies
Theres a measurable difference in power output between average and elite athletes.   Some is genetic they may have been born with larger heart and lung capacity, but then they've spent years training to further improve their abilities.  www.voxy.co.nz/sport/power-generated-dur...g-machines/971/19759
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 00:55 by slim36. Reason: fix url
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds