Amount

Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

29 May 2019 19:21 #64154 by slim36

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 May 2019 21:16 #64156 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom
Interesting - the bigger news for me in that article was that they prefered Nicole Kidman to play WW's mom.

Hmm... ...aging gracefully is hard for everyone.

More
29 May 2019 22:37 #64157 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

Interesting - the bigger news for me in that article was that they prefered Nicole Kidman to play WW's mom.

Who went on to play Aquaman's mum :P 

Peace.

/K

More
30 May 2019 01:18 #64160 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

kikass2014 wrote:

Who went on to play Aquaman's mum :P 

Peace.

/K

And Nicole was outstanding in the role. She is still ridiculously hot on screen, and she knows how to project power. Like with Charlize. Maybe it's something that comes with age, because a lot of young actresses can't pull it off. 

Of course, the real fun here was Robin Wright as Diana's aunt, Antiope. I first enjoyed her way back in Forest Gump (Jenny), and she's really grown as an actress. I think she said the WW movie was the most fun she'd ever had in a role.

I think she's got some Amazon inside her. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 May 2019 01:23 #64162 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom
Oh totally agree :)

Kidman and Theron are among the best that have ever been.  They can plan ANY role imo, and look incredible doing it :)

And agree with you on Robin Wright.  She was outstanding in WW.  Wish they didn't kill her off tbh.

Peace.

/K

More
30 May 2019 05:04 #64165 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom
Shadar,

... did you miss out on The Princess Bride??

More
30 May 2019 06:49 #64166 by shadar

algae2k wrote: Shadar,

... did you miss out on The Princess Bride??

Yup... apparently 

Shadar

• shadar
More
31 May 2019 17:00 #64181 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

shadar wrote: And Nicole was outstanding in the role. She is still ridiculously hot on screen, and she knows how to project power. Like with Charlize. Maybe it's something that comes with age, because a lot of young actresses can't pull it off.

I don't think its age... I think it's firsthand experience with power. There is a world of difference between being a dime-a-dozen disposable starlet and having the gravitational pull to swagger in the executive meetings as well as in front of the camera.

I reminded of an interview with Judy Dench discussing preparing for an ongoing role as a senior police detective. For an interrogation scene, they asked her to stand looking her toughest. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked super stern. The police advisor on set basically flinched and told her criminals would eat her alive doing that. Crossing your arms (thereby covering your breasts) is a defensive posture. To be assertive you keep your arms down. No fear in any form.

Even for the best, it's hard to convey real power if you've never experienced it. When you're just guessing, it's easy to guess wrong.

Of course, the real fun here was Robin Wright as Diana's aunt, Antiope.

Hell yes. Best character in the movie and I like Chris Pine.

More
31 May 2019 18:16 #64182 by shadar

AuGoose wrote:

shadar wrote: And Nicole was outstanding in the role. She is still ridiculously hot on screen, and she knows how to project power. Like with Charlize. Maybe it's something that comes with age, because a lot of young actresses can't pull it off.

I don't think its age... I think it's firsthand experience with power. There is a world of difference between being a dime-a-dozen disposable starlet and having the gravitational pull to swagger in the executive meetings as well as in front of the camera.

I reminded of an interview with Judy Dench discussing preparing for an ongoing role as a senior police detective. For an interrogation scene, they asked her to stand looking her toughest. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked super stern. The police advisor on set basically flinched and told her criminals would eat her alive doing that. Crossing your arms (thereby covering your breasts) is a defensive posture. To be assertive you keep your arms down. No fear in any form.

Even for the best, it's hard to convey real power if you've never experienced it. When you're just guessing, it's easy to guess wrong.

Of course, the real fun here was Robin Wright as Diana's aunt, Antiope.

Hell yes. Best character in the movie and I like Chris Pine.

You are right. I shouldn’t just just give credit for age (Goldie Hawn doesn’t exactly project power), but rather experience coupled to confidence. But both Nicole and Charlize started out tough. There is a certain power in being very tall and beautiful, and they figured out how to start with that and amplify it while they sucked up and learned how to use other kinds of power. Which makes them naturals for superhuman roles.

I remember one of Nicole’s early movies, when she was very young, on that sailboat where this crazed homicidal guy sails off with her, leaving her husband behind on a sinking ship. For the time and her age, she played a gutsy role. Not everyone appreciates her in that movie, but despite starting off powerless and inexperienced (in the role) she kept on fighting, both actively and seductively. She is a survivor, both in her roles and her life.

shadar 
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

• shadar
More
31 May 2019 22:43 #64184 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom
That movie Nicole starred was Dead Calm. Billy Zane played the pyscho. I saw at a drive in double feature with Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan in 1989. Good movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
01 Jun 2019 18:15 - 02 Jun 2019 18:15 #64196 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

andyf wrote: That movie Nicole starred was Dead Calm. Billy Zane played the pyscho. I saw at a drive in double feature with Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan in 1989. Good movie.

I was going to post the very same last night (apart from the Manhattan bit). Nicole, good actress in her day and a good film there, but not up to the levels of Ms. Theron!
Last edit: 02 Jun 2019 18:15 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
02 Jun 2019 18:32 - 02 Jun 2019 19:25 #64216 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Theron rejected role of Wonder Woman's mom

Monty wrote:
I was going to post the very same last night (apart from the Manhattan bit). Nicole, good actress in her day and a good film there, but not up to the levels of Ms. Theron!

Oh yeah, she would have been great in Wonder Woman but would possibly outshine the star., 

ETA looking at the second picture there, weren't the women on the island deemed with some eternal youth? Charlize would have been perfect for the role!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 02 Jun 2019 19:25 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds