Amount

My favourite story

08 Feb 2005 00:16 #15 by conceptfan
My favourite story was created by conceptfan
If I had to pick just one, it would be AK's saga of Julie. I think it's a combination of the way you are drawn into Julie's day-to-day life and relationships and her epic struggles not just against the forces of evil, but also sometimes against the forces inside her. Plus, AK's evil girls are always brilliantly portrayed and Julie's mortal enemy, Sirren, is perhaps the badest (or best, depending on your viewpoint) of them all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• conceptfan
  • conceptfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Feb 2005 00:49 #25 by mick lightweight
Replied by mick lightweight on topic Re: My favourite story
Personally, there's been 2 stories that really stands out from all the excellent storeies I've read over the years:

1) Conceptfan's "Emperess Ria"
2) Paul Smith's "Experiment"

Sheer class.

More
09 Feb 2005 03:05 #28 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: My favourite story
I thought Yoshuan's "Serena" story was one of the most exciting and promising series I have read since I started exploring this genre. I want him to finish it someday, but I totally understand how real life can get in the way... which is probably why I have about 20 unfinished stories sitting on my hard drive right now.
I also love AK's "Julie", especially early-on when she was discovering her abilities slowly while trying to maintain a life outside of being a heroine. That type of stuff makes characters seem much more real to me. When a writer can portray things going beyond picking up something heavy or flying to the moon and show a young goddess dealing with her first breakup or a death of someone close or hurting someone she cares about with her powers... same with "A New Supergirl In Town", "Kathy", & "Superior Girl".
While I'm not particularly a fan of Kerry Smith personally, I think that his sporatic writings in the past have been excellent, particularly the dialogue and imagery of a superwoman simply showing her power over someone. Very well-written and it's a shame that he (she? I never got that figured out completely) feels that they have to put that (and other possibly copyrighted material) behind a paypal account. Oh well.
Marknew (usually found at DtV) is amazing at coming up with great and enticing situations to put his characters in, but is sometimes a bit too graphic for my tastes.
And Shadar/Sharon Best... do I even need to mention this? Aurora and early Kara and Firebug is as influential as the Beatles' White Album in my opinion.
Newer promising great authors that I love new material from is Ronn Mann, Larafan (I'm waiting for more SuperJen), Conceptfan, David C Matthews, and a lot of what I'm reading from the workshops. Well done everyone.

That said (while holding back much more praise where it's due), does anyone remember a series that I only remember linked off the old AU involving almost anime-like characters? I can't recall the name of the stories, but I always wondered what happened to them or the author? Anyone?

More
09 Feb 2005 03:47 #31 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Favorite Stories
As Angels appropriately put it, there are so many great stories out there its hard to pick one.....

I guess the two stories predominently the reason for my trying to write were Christina McCallister by 007 (with all due respects to 008) and Lil Firebug -- Sharyl by Sharon Best. These stories more than anything got me to pick up my pen....er......keyboard and trying to do something myself!

Of more recent fare, my favs are CF's Milena and Yosh's Serena. While CF continues to crank it out, I think most would agree that Yosh quit way too soon. Yosh, if you are reading this .... you suck!! :P

Of another special mention is the rarely mentioned and enigmatic "Dru" from DtV's site. No email or conversation ever associated with this person, but I hope he/she knows that several people like myself enjoy his/her stories. Dru, if you happen to reading this, please feel free to email me with any new stories! Would love to see sequel to Fall of Dwalli (sp) !

Well, that's my top 4 -- I have about 156 other favs, but that for another thread!!

LF

More
09 Feb 2005 05:45 #37 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Listing some of the best
It really is impossible once you start, to stop listing them, but here are some of my absolute favorites:

The first, unedited Aurora chapter. Discovering her powers in such sexy ways. It was my first real exposure to the genre, so I'm sentimental about it too.

Some of Vagabond Eve's best (they were all great in different ways):
The Session (best description of superbreasts anywhere)
Shifted (man become ultrawoman, awesome "this must be a dream" feel)
Spar 2 (big O)

Anything by Paul Smith, but if I'd have to choose:
The Electric Series (1 and 3 particularly)
Girl of Steel/Raw Power - tied for favorite Caroline Everson story

In the recent category, "Demolitionist" by Sean Porter. Short and very sweet.

Best epic supergirl series:
Last of the Fallen (I know, the guy gets a lot of air time, but there are plenty of superwomen showing off. More added every chapter, almost.)

That's just the cream of the crop, of course. :o

More
09 Feb 2005 14:14 #47 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Missing Series
Angels,

Do you mean the Leyna series (I think that was the name) -- the supergirl with the pink hair, right?

LF

I thought Yoshuan's "Serena" story was one of the most exciting and promising series I have read since I started exploring this genre. I want him to finish it someday, but I totally understand how real life can get in the way... which is probably why I have about 20 unfinished stories sitting on my hard drive right now.
I also love AK's "Julie", especially early-on when she was discovering her abilities slowly while trying to maintain a life outside of being a heroine. That type of stuff makes characters seem much more real to me. When a writer can portray things going beyond picking up something heavy or flying to the moon and show a young goddess dealing with her first breakup or a death of someone close or hurting someone she cares about with her powers... same with "A New Supergirl In Town", "Kathy", & "Superior Girl".
While I'm not particularly a fan of Kerry Smith personally, I think that his sporatic writings in the past have been excellent, particularly the dialogue and imagery of a superwoman simply showing her power over someone. Very well-written and it's a shame that he (she? I never got that figured out completely) feels that they have to put that (and other possibly copyrighted material) behind a paypal account. Oh well.
Marknew (usually found at DtV) is amazing at coming up with great and enticing situations to put his characters in, but is sometimes a bit too graphic for my tastes.
And Shadar/Sharon Best... do I even need to mention this? Aurora and early Kara and Firebug is as influential as the Beatles' White Album in my opinion.
Newer promising great authors that I love new material from is Ronn Mann, Larafan (I'm waiting for more SuperJen), Conceptfan, David C Matthews, and a lot of what I'm reading from the workshops. Well done everyone.

That said (while holding back much more praise where it's due), does anyone remember a series that I only remember linked off the old AU involving almost anime-like characters? I can't recall the name of the stories, but I always wondered what happened to them or the author? Anyone?

More
10 Feb 2005 04:24 #59 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: My favourite story
score 100 points for lfan. the next trick would be finding out who has all of this old content stored on their computer... the archived AU isn't pulling up anymore, and even if it was, I don't think it had a link to it. hmmmm

More
10 Feb 2005 14:17 #64 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Leena
Tricks? Tricks are for kids!!!

web.archive.org/web/20030604062950/http:....com/cafebabe/remix/

Enjoy!! :)

Perhaps you can do something for me one day! (in raspy Marlon Brando voice)

LF

score 100 points for lfan. the next trick would be finding out who has all of this old content stored on their computer... the archived AU isn't pulling up anymore, and even if it was, I don't think it had a link to it. hmmmm

More
14 Sep 2005 07:36 #2406 by Rasa
Replied by Rasa on topic Re: My favourite story
If I were to pick just one, it would be Marknew's What I Want. All of Marknew's stories are brilliant, but in this one, the protagonist is particularly powerful and is less helpless than the central characters of many Marknew stories. Also, his fall at the hands of his clever female nemesis develops in a slow, understated way. The story successfully combines a large number of ubiquitous genre metamorphoses in a skillful, convincing way that just simply works. I really love that story.

More
27 Sep 2005 19:24 #2769 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Re: My favourite story
Moxie is my favorite writer with both his superwoman and superman stories!

More
27 Sep 2005 23:13 #2794 by Bully_pup
Replied by Bully_pup on topic Re: My favourite story
I have my list of Favorites. Sharon Best's "Little Firebug" series, AK's "Julie" series. Just about all of Conceptfan's work. And the list goes on..

How do you pick a favorite?

More
03 Oct 2005 20:15 #2912 by SteveTrevor
Replied by SteveTrevor on topic Re: My favourite story
Where can I find VagabondEve's stories?

JOHN

More
25 Oct 2005 01:07 #3187 by Mandi Steele
Replied by Mandi Steele on topic Re: My favourite story
My favrite is Larafan's Lara The Awakening.

More
07 Nov 2005 21:26 #3401 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: My favourite story
We'll soon find out if other people liked it as well.... :P

LF

My favrite is Larafan's Lara The Awakening.

More
11 Nov 2005 04:20 #3471 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: My favourite story

Where can I find VagabondEye's stories?
JOHN

Aw....warm's my heart. :oops:

Vaggy's too inflamatory for public exposure anymore--ever again, really.
I got 'im filed next to the hyperspace bypass notice running crodgety ol' admin on my blog these days:
groups.yahoo.com/group/vagabondseye/

Throw 'im a bone or sumptin, he'll letcha int'a the archive down there. Bring y' own flashlight n' compass. Ez to get lost in all that and most of its quite carniverous.

Love,
-White Paw

More
04 Aug 2007 06:27 #9974 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Re: My favourite story
If there would be one it will be

The Project by DKC

just because of the character Vojtek. Odd, i believe the heart of the story was him and that his death killed the story.

Others that are my faves are
For a want of a Nail by Jason Thorn.

I guess being it fills the what if I lived in a world of superheroes. And a nice read too

Ascension by taliesan

lovely writing, and came in a time were most stories wre about bad supergirls. I even sent him an email.

Red Kryptonite by Julie

erotic superfantasy at its best.

More
06 Aug 2007 11:17 #9992 by Mirk
Replied by Mirk on topic Re: My favourite story
My favored would be Shadar's Tales of the Valkyries - Hana. Hana is so down to earth and is doing a great job for her first "mission" :)

More
06 Aug 2007 18:17 #9997 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: My favourite story
Sounds like I need to continue Hana's story?

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
06 Aug 2007 19:24 #9998 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: My favourite story
There are many stories you need to continue, Shadar :)

Oh, is your other writing available to read somewhere? I know you put up your original story, Aurora. What about the other stuff?

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
06 Aug 2007 19:28 #10000 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: My favourite story
As did I, Lastleaf....he/she came out gangbusters and then left us hanging! Great storyline! Taliesan, if out there, please continue!!

ElF

Ascension by taliesan

lovely writing, and came in a time were most stories wre about bad supergirls. I even sent him an email.

More
06 Aug 2007 20:52 #10001 by shadar
There are a lot of the later AU stories available on:

velorian.org/

But I haven't posted anything for a number of months. I've got a continuation of a story that deals with the creation of Velorian Protectors that I'm doing with Brantley, and a recast of the Supergirl mythology in the works.

In the later story, its about Kara El, aka Kara Kent, and she's the daughter of Kal El and Diana Prince, but raised by Lois and Clark Kent. As usual for AU-style stories, its rather racy and R-rated, dealing with a different twist on the challenges of growing up super. And WW is the mother, because, as we all know, thanks to Larry Niven's little short story, Lois and Clark can't really do it. They needed a surrogate, which gets interesting as she's half Amazon.

I'd paused the story as the current comic and now Smallville are providing lots of visibility to Kara's character, and my story doesn't fit into either of those myths.

But if anyone is interested in seeing a somewhat adult version of a Kara Kent story, let me know. Enough of its been written to get your impression if I'm on an interesting track with it.

Shadar

• shadar
More
06 Aug 2007 22:57 #10003 by Mirk
Replied by Mirk on topic Re: My favourite story

Sounds like I need to continue Hana's story?

Shadar

Oh please, i would love to see more of this story :) The fourth part was a bit weird but it seems everything is open.

More
07 Aug 2007 01:26 #10007 by shadar
Fourth part was a co-writing experiment that didn't go too well... our styles were too different.

I'll try to get it back on track.

Shadar

• shadar
More
24 Jul 2008 23:18 #12975 by mitchmanu
Replied by mitchmanu on topic Old Aurora Universe
All my favorite stories are in there. It´s a shame I haven´t got the whole archive when I could.

Birth od the undead and Dark Supergirl my favorites.

I´d love to see those two online again!

More
24 Jul 2008 23:43 #12976 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: My favourite story
michmanu, I loved Dark Supergirl as well. Great story. Nicely twisted characters and even some mind control thrown in. One of the early stories that I remember and still go back and read over again.

Welcome to SWM!

• Sarge395
More
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds