Amount

Goodbye SWM

30 Jun 2014 21:12 #37078 by njae
Goodbye SWM was created by njae
After about three years of activity on this site, I have decided to leave SWM. The site and its community has been a big part of my life given that I had been lurking pretty much ever since it started all those years ago. During those last three years I had a lot of fun here in this community and I want to thank all those I that were involved in that.

But all good things come to an end. Truth be told, I feel like I've been overstaying my welcome for quite some time now. And while a part of me wishes to elaborate about the series of events that brought me to this conclusion I think I'm doing everybody a favor by not doing so. All I'll say is that there were certain issues that were left unresolved and kept eating at me over a long time. The more time passed, the worse it became for me up to the point where my own behavior became overly negative and snarky on the site and in the chatroom. I know that this isn't the right way to behave but at the same time I still see myself in the right when it comes to the original issues. But instead of making any progress in resolving anything, I only managed to estrange those close to me in this community. And to those, I have to apologize. By now it's quite obvious that things won't get resolved at all, and with myself being unable to leave things be, I do the closest thing to taking the high road that I can do. And that is leaving the site and community.

Once I figured out how, I'll park my IRC bouncer somewhere outside the SWM Chatroom, hopefully allowing this little place to see some more activity without my negative presence. As for the stories I contributed, I am not going to have them removed as I considered at some point – they aren't that great after all. Despite that, I intent to continue writing, but like my latest installment, I won't submit it or advertise it on SWM anymore.

Well, I think that is all I wanted to say. There are some people I have to thank, others to apologize to. I won't say any names, but I hope you accept it nonetheless.

Goodbye,

Njae
The following user(s) said Thank You: hpol
The topic has been locked.
  • njae
  • njae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Jun 2014 23:17 #37081 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Goodbye SWM
Well, it's no secret that I've been a friend of Njae for quite some time now. As such I've seen this whole story playing out and I can say I've spent quite a long time trying to fix things. Simply put it didn't work and now I'm very sad to see him going. I'm not going to call names or trying to figure out how things played out because I already spent too much time doing that.
I've said alot over the last year -- probably too much sometimes -- so tonight I'm just here to say goodbye and hope that one day Njae will return to this shores because, I honestly think he proved his skills as a writer over and over again.

Goodbye and good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae
More
01 Jul 2014 00:30 #37082 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Goodbye SWM
Goodbye Njae, and thank you for your contributions to the library, the forum, and the chatroom. I never found you a negative presence and I'll miss your presence here, but when you feel like you need to leave, it's best to leave. Good fortune wherever you go, and I'll see you on your DA page.
More
01 Jul 2014 01:36 #37086 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Goodbye SWM
I'm sorry to see you go as well, Njae. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. And not to step on anyone's toes or insult anyone, I've also been planning a similar course of action for a while, so trust me, and all here who understand and love you and your work (which is all of us), you're not alone.
  • Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2014 09:34 #37096 by Lastleaf
Replied by Lastleaf on topic Goodbye SWM
You wrote my one of my favorite stories here. Good luck.
More
01 Jul 2014 20:56 #37108 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Goodbye SWM

njae wrote: As for the stories I contributed, I am not going to have them removed as I considered at some point – they aren't that great after all. Despite that, I intent to continue writing, but like my latest installment, I won't submit it or advertise it on SWM anymore.

Nonsense! MMM is a fantastic read, and I certainly hope that you continue it somewhere....

- AlG
More
02 Jul 2014 21:46 #37128 by Gargamel6
Replied by Gargamel6 on topic Goodbye SWM
Since I'm only reading here almost without any contributions of myself I have no idea what has happened. And I don't have to care. But just wanted to say that I loved most of your stories, you're a great writer! Hope you'll keep doing so. And I wouldn't mind at all if - at any time - you'd tell the SVM-Community where to find your new contributions. Good luck with your future
P.S. Glad you changed your mind about keeping the storys here!
More
02 Jul 2014 22:53 #37129 by berkshirelad2012
Replied by berkshirelad2012 on topic Goodbye SWM
Just wanted to say Goodbye, though i haven't a clue of what has gone on within the community. i will say it's sad to see such a talented writer go, i loved the Michelle's Meteor Memento series, thank you!
More
03 Jul 2014 14:50 - 03 Jul 2014 14:53 #37137 by koopa
Replied by koopa on topic Goodbye SWM
Sad :(. Like a lot of people, I don't post much but I've really enjoyed a lot of your work. From the old interactive stories on Bearchive.com to your recent MMM saga here on SWM.

I will certainly keep on reading your stories on Brawna or Deviantart if you continue to write.

Thanks for all the work you've shared with us. Farewell !
Last edit: 03 Jul 2014 14:53 by koopa.
More
03 Jul 2014 17:20 #37139 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Goodbye SWM
Very sad to see you go, but I understand why. As they say at motel six, we will leave the light on for you. Hope to see you back here sometime.
More
03 Jul 2014 20:44 #37142 by algae2k
Koopa hints at a very strong point: the importance of positive feedback to contributors. Without it, it is easier for any negative impressions to outweigh the good vibes that others on the site have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae, Dr. Muttonchops, SCOTT R
More
03 Jul 2014 21:10 #37143 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Goodbye SWM
I hope everyone stays here.
More
04 Jul 2014 10:06 #37162 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Goodbye SWM
I gotta say I'm moved at the posts here and I'm glad that there are some people following my stories. For those who look for them, koopa already mentioned that I published them on Deviantart and Brawna.

Since the topic came up, I just want to make one thing clear. While it is true that I am a very feedback-oriented person that hates to see other authors receive way more feedback than myself, but I know it's my own fault for being jealous in these situations. What I want to say here is that the lack of positive feedback is not why I'm leaving the site. Truth be told I expect there to be much less feedback at the new places than I received here, so I appreciate the positive comments here.

As for the possibility to see me returning I'm not going to deny this possibility. After all, never say never. But what I have to say here is that this is beyond my power. I tried to sort out the issues right away but they weren't even recognized as a problem by the other party - which in turn left me convinced that this other party hates me and wants me gone. I tried waiting it out too, but this didn't work out for me at all. Returning after a while would mean facing these unresolved issues again which is what I want to avoid after all.

PS: Finally managed to tell my BNC to leave the IRC channel.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Jul 2014 19:19 #37192 by algae2k

njae wrote: I gotta say I'm moved at the posts here and I'm glad that there are some people following my stories. For those who look for them, koopa already mentioned that I published them on Deviantart and Brawna.

Since the topic came up, I just want to make one thing clear. While it is true that I am a very feedback-oriented person that hates to see other authors receive way more feedback than myself, but I know it's my own fault for being jealous in these situations. What I want to say here is that the lack of positive feedback is not why I'm leaving the site. Truth be told I expect there to be much less feedback at the new places than I received here, so I appreciate the positive comments here.

As for the possibility to see me returning I'm not going to deny this possibility. After all, never say never. But what I have to say here is that this is beyond my power. I tried to sort out the issues right away but they weren't even recognized as a problem by the other party - which in turn left me convinced that this other party hates me and wants me gone. I tried waiting it out too, but this didn't work out for me at all. Returning after a while would mean facing these unresolved issues again which is what I want to avoid after all.

PS: Finally managed to tell my BNC to leave the IRC channel.

Technically, we have all left the old site. So... you really don't have to go anywhere! [and everyone has saved face!]

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, Markiehoe
More
07 Jul 2014 21:22 #37198 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Goodbye SWM

algae2k wrote: Technically, we have all left the old site. So... you really don't have to go anywhere! [and everyone has saved face!]

;)

You may want to be funny here, but it really just comes of as a giant insult. I am not the only one who considered leaving the site when the issues took a turn for the worse and of those I'm not even the first one to actually leave. So please don't make jokes about stuff that really hurt me to the point where I can no longer be part of this community.
  • njae
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Jul 2014 02:00 #37204 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Goodbye SWM
I don't think he meant it as an insult, but that being said, I think I speak for the majority of the community that sincerely extends their best wishes to Njae in his future endeavours and whatever he decides in terms of coming back or not.

With that said, I'm locking this thread to avoid further misinterpretations and drama....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, fats, furbutt4, SCOTT R
More
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds