Amount

Full DC Universe Reboot (Along with the heroines)

02 Jun 2011 10:56 - 02 Jun 2011 10:58 #23372 by Random321
A reboot to #1 for almost all comics? Women getting covered up? Women in pants? Superman with no red briefs? A younger cast across the board? Yes - DC canon is a mess for average to light fans so maybe it will be refreshing. It’s ambitious – and maybe it’s what is needed to help sales – I’m just having a hard time finding anything I feel like I want to get behind an support. Bleeding Cool Article On DC
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 10:58 by Random321.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Jun 2011 12:23 #23373 by Woodclaw
I've read something about this yesterday and I don't know if I feel interested or depressed. AsRandom said it's a very ambitious and dangerous move,one that can be a major boomerang for the DC. Plus I admit some of the rumors about this reset are very unsettling. Apparently one of the main goals is to minimize the presence of creator owned characters, which includes all of Superman's cast (due to the conclusion of the lawsuit between DC comics and the Siegel family), as a result a rumor appeared that Lois Lane will be removed or marginalized in the stories and Superman will be dating Wonder Woman. For some reason I think that this is utterly depressing.

I'm also worried about other characters, especially Power Girl and Zatanna. After decades of bad writing these two characters were finally able to have some good time, if a reset comes there's no telling how things will end for them. I fear a return to the "I'm not sure where I came from" version of PG.

More
02 Jun 2011 19:03 #23380 by jdrock24
I'm kind of torn on this.

On the one hand, my five year old little girl is a very good reader and I was thinking about buying her some DC comics. However, where in the heck would you start? The past is so complicated and it would take much too long to explain to her what happened, why that superhero did that, etc... With them rebooting to #1 it might be a chance for her to pick it up. For my daughter's sake, I like the idea of females wearing "practical" costumes (i.e. pants) also so she doesn't get the wrong idea about what type of clothing is "appropiate." (<-Call me a prude if you want, it's my daughter I'm talking about here.)

On the other hand, it just seems wrong to throw away decades of history. If I was a long time subscriber of one of the DC books and found out that all the books I've spent years collecting suddenly were "retconned" out and never happened, I think I might be more than a little upset. Plus, can you imagine Wonder Woman without her star spangled "swimsuit" costume? Or worse, Powergirl without her white, cleavage inducing costume? As a guy, I don't think I want to...

It certainly looks like a desperate gambit to lure new readership to the titles (I wonder how the digital versions are going to work?). I just don't know if it is going to work...

More
02 Jun 2011 19:17 #23381 by lfan
I think its gonna be a disaster, personally. Rebooting and starting over seems to be the theme in comics (and their respective movies) these days -- along with reimaginings (don't get me started).

It seems like a cheap parlor trick and a quick and dirty way to nab as many readers right away, just for curiosity sake. I hate the Superman/WW romance and the fact everyone gets the new costumes. Even worse, the fact that they are releasing the comics digitally the same day is yet another nail in the coffin of your local comic book shop retailers who are already suffering!

Finally, and this might be a good thing, is the announcement of 52 titles!?!? OK, they have roughly 30-35 titles now and they plan to add another 20+?? And that is assuming that ALL the current titles continue. While I relish seeing some characters (e.g. Wondergirl, Lois Lane, Legion of Super Villains) getting there own titles, I'm hard pressed to think of another 15 or so. I certainly they don't go the Marvel route and just fill the title bin with more "Xmen books" (using probably GL or Batman). Of course, it also could be some temporary marketing trick to pull readers in and then they are gonna trim it back. You know, the old "52 titles for 52 weeks" trick! :P

Anyways, my pull list consists of about 12 regular titles -- 11 of them being DC, so I'm invested in their characters. I just hope Lee & Co. doesn't screw it up like I think they might.

ElF

More
02 Jun 2011 19:35 #23383 by inactive
I feel like it's a return to the gimmicks that nearly sank the comics industry in the 90's. 52 #1's? Well, gee, I hope they all come with a million variant covers. Costumes getting redesigned? Well, they'd better make sure to put pouches on everything.

- GeekSeven

More
03 Jun 2011 01:38 #23386 by lfan
In looking at the titles already announced, none of them really perk my interest with an exception of Firestorm with the creative team of Gail Simone/Ethan Van Scriver and art by Y. Cidar.

Wonder Woman's cover (and costume) looks horrendous.... and the cover of JLI has all the girls in, yep, long pants (though two of them already had them)! :P

ElF

More
08 Jun 2011 07:03 #23474 by inactive
A few more covers have leaked out. Still not sure how the "women in pants" edict is going to be applied across the board. I haven't seen new designs for Power Girl or Super Girl, yet.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Catwoman. Showing that just because your female character is wearing pants, doesn't mean you can't do a cheesecake cover.

Birds of Prey. Black canary has swapped her fishnet tights for diamond-patterned armored leggings that somewhat suggest the idea of fishnet.

Batgirl. Apparently Barbara Gordon is getting out of the wheelchair and back into a batsuit. Opinion is divided on this, to say the least.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
08 Jun 2011 08:31 #23476 by inactive
Okay, the early word is that Supergirl at least will have a comic after the great DC reboot. No idea what the new Supergirl will look like.

www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/07/dc-relau...ers-from-smallville/

- GeekSeven

More
08 Jun 2011 13:05 #23478 by Woodclaw
Personally the more I read about this reboot the more I my interest dies. It's the proof of what I said for years, open-ended storylines are bad a character must pass away or pass his legacy somewhere along the way, because simply keeping him /her going ad namuseam will create continuity problems sooner or later.

More
08 Jun 2011 19:04 #23479 by lfan
Can't agree more...this is almost literally NOTHING that I've heard about the "reboot" that I'm looking forward to except maybe Gail Simone's run on Firestorm and/or seems like we'll another Legion Book.

Awful new costumes (haven't seen one I like more than the original), Babs --> Oracle, strange new Birds of Prey Team, new titles, no Superman and Lois....its almost like Jim Lee & Co. are trying to purposefully fuck up the DC Universe. It remains to be seen and good writing will win out, but not liking it at all!

I'm dreading the next round of announcements/releases which should show Supergirl's new costume. Also, I got a bad feeling that Powergirl's title run is over as well (though I hope I'm wrong)...

More
08 Jun 2011 20:31 #23486 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote: Can't agree more...this is almost literally NOTHING that I've heard about the "reboot" that I'm looking forward to except maybe Gail Simone's run on Firestorm and/or seems like we'll another Legion Book.

Same here and for me it's really a shame since I loved what the DC authors did in these last few years.

lfan wrote: Awful new costumes (haven't seen one I like more than the original), Babs --> Oracle, strange new Birds of Prey Team, new titles, no Superman and Lois....its almost like Jim Lee & Co. are trying to purposefully fuck up the DC Universe. It remains to be seen and good writing will win out, but not liking it at all!

I will abstain to comment about the costumes (even if I hate Nightwing's new look), but some ideas, like pulling Babs out of the wheelchair and removing Lois from the picture, are intollerable for the geek in me.

lfan wrote: I'm dreading the next round of announcements/releases which should show Supergirl's new costume. Also, I got a bad feeling that Powergirl's title run is over as well (though I hope I'm wrong)...

Please be very wrong...

More
08 Jun 2011 22:08 #23491 by lfan
Next up with the crap-fest announcements. Extra bonus is the cover looks like Image Comics circa 1990...oh joy! :angry: :

"Tim Drake is forced to step out from behind his keyboard when an international organization seeks to capture or kill super-powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he must team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and a hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash in TEEN TITANS #1, by Scott Lobdell and artists Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund.

Lee says of Teen Titans that it has "the most variety of what existed before," and that Lobdell is crafting a "mythology that gives you a family feel."

This message has an attachment image.

More
09 Jun 2011 00:09 #23493 by jdrock24

Next up with the crap-fest announcements. Extra bonus is the cover looks like Image Comics circa 1990...oh joy! :

Ha! That was a good one LFan. Laughed out loud when I read that.

By the way, after seeing more previews, I don't think this will be the right series to introduce my little girl to the world of comics.

So let's see, DC wants new readers. They go about getting new readers by alienating all current readers first and foremost. Kids, who might like a chance to jump on a character from the beginning, can't because the themes are still to mature for them. Teenage boys who aren't current readers won't pick it up because of the stupid "all pants on females" edict. That leaves teenage girls as their target audience as far as I can tell. However, from what I remember from my teenage years, girls aren't very interested in super heroes or comic books in general.

But hey, good luck with that DC. Let me know how this works out...

More
09 Jun 2011 00:40 #23495 by Random321
So... ...what you're saying is you don't have high hopes there lfan? :laugh:

Latest rumor from bleeding cool is that a couple titles will no restart as far as story - just in number.

The other rumor around the possible SG creative team also gives me some hope for the story and art - I just hope the 80's/Matrix costume is still the base for whatever they do and let’s drop the bob hair cut while we are at it.

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jun 2011 01:30 - 09 Jun 2011 02:41 #23496 by Woodclaw

:sick: Words can't convey how sick I feel just for looking at this cover art.:sick:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2011 02:41 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Grayface

More
09 Jun 2011 02:00 #23497 by CaptainIrishman
Replied by CaptainIrishman on topic Re: Full DC Universe Reboot (Along with the heroines)
At this stage I can't figure out if its just me (over 35, long term reader, knee-jerk reactionary) or the marketing/cover art but I think this bodes ill.
Re-launches are tricky things to handle at the best of times and prone to mis-management if done for the wrong reasons (incorporating 'trendy' things to boost sales rather than focussing on character, script, plot, substance) but 52 in one go, their entire stock, with no graded test-run ....this bangs of desperation. This has 'marketing research' written all over it. I fear that buzzwords like demographics, target-markets and key spend-groups were used rather than character, direction or integrity.

If this relaunch fails and profits plummet further will they revert to the old course or are we destined to see 'dynamic' relaunch after dynamic relaunch (ie new costumes, new gimmicks, less substance, no story arc longer than 149 characters because otherwise it'll be too complex for the new readers) until the characters are beyond saving?
I dunno lads and lassies, I really don't know if this is going to work for them or me.
I got a bad feeling about this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface

More
09 Jun 2011 03:04 #23498 by lfan

CaptainIrishman wrote: ...If this relaunch fails and profits plummet further will they revert to the old course or are we destined to see 'dynamic' relaunch after dynamic relaunch...

This has the scent of the comic equivalent of "New Coke" to me, personally....

ElF

More
09 Jun 2011 03:08 #23499 by fats

lfan wrote:

CaptainIrishman wrote: ...If this relaunch fails and profits plummet further will they revert to the old course or are we destined to see 'dynamic' relaunch after dynamic relaunch...

This has the scent of the comic equivalent of "New Coke" to me, personally....

ElF

I'm too young to know about that.:laugh:

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Jun 2011 04:29 #23500 by Random321
That scares me even more!

New coke was just a conspiracy to drop “old coke” with regular sugar, bring in “new coke” to ensure people hated it, and then ultimately bring back “classic coke” with high fructose corn syrup so no one would feel full and everyone would get fat on it.

So what are they trying to sneak in on each character or the DC universe?

The CEO of Coke said something like: We're not that dumb, and we're not that clever.

I suspect DC falls on one of those extremes even if Coke did not (cough).

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jun 2011 05:42 #23501 by inactive
Teen Titans:

For the most part, the character design makes me want to never stop puking.

Here's the solicit:

Tim Drake is forced to step out from behind his keyboard when an international organization seeks to capture or kill super-powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he must team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and a hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash in TEEN TITANS #1, by Scott Lobdell and artists Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund.

Oh goody, they're meddling with Wonder Girl again. Sigh.

- GeekSeven

More
09 Jun 2011 06:34 #23503 by inactive
Sorry, I don't know why I didn't see that LFan had posted the Teen Titans cover already. It was probably hysterical blindness brought on by the horrible art and crappy character designs.

- GeekSeven

More
09 Jun 2011 18:51 #23508 by CaptainIrishman
Replied by CaptainIrishman on topic Re: Full DC Universe Reboot (Along with the heroines)

DietSnapple71 wrote:

Uh...sorry which one is meant to be Wonder girl? Is that meant to be her with the lasso-looking stuff?

More
09 Jun 2011 19:35 #23509 by inactive

CaptainIrishman wrote:

DietSnapple71 wrote:

Uh...sorry which one is meant to be Wonder girl? Is that meant to be her with the lasso-looking stuff?

I believe so. She's a "mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief".

- GeekSeven

More
09 Jun 2011 22:18 #23510 by lfan
Best quote I saw in response to the cover was something like:

"Oh cool....Image Comics is rebooting their line as well!"

More
09 Jun 2011 22:22 #23511 by CaptainIrishman

DietSnapple71 wrote:

CaptainIrishman wrote:

DietSnapple71 wrote:

I believe so. She's a "mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief".

Powerhouse theft is on the rise in the DC universe then?
:) ;)

More
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds