Amount

Brilliant #1

29 Sep 2011 19:11 - 29 Sep 2011 19:12 #24908 by lfan
Brilliant #1 was created by lfan
In an earlier blog posting , I had mentioned a new comic coming out from Marvel called Brilliant which featured a group of college brainiacs that work on unlocking the secret to superpowers. Issue #1 came out yesterday and while there was no ubergirl action in it, it was a good read and already has me looking forward to #2.

Set in a quasi-Ivy league school in Seattle, the story picks up with one of the students returning to school after taking a semester off. By the end of the book, we discover that in his absence, his fellow colleagues have been up to something and want to pull him in, much to his curiosity.

The first issue is mostly character setup and such so not a lot of action (aside from the opening sequence which I won't spoil), but we start to learn the characterizations of what appears to be the main four characters -- one being Marie ( the red head featured on the cover of #3 from my previous blog post ).

Bendis does a fantastic job at writing dialog, not writing to make it easy to follow conversations in prose but rather writing as people would actually converse in real life. It does get "hard" to follow sometimes (maybe its just me), but once you digest it, you realize it's how a conversation would actually go at a party (based on the personalities involved).

Also of note are the handful of various pop culture references in their alluding to movies in the dialog as well as a fantastic homage to "Real Genius" (80's movie starring Val Kilmer which featured a group of brilliant college students) on the final page.

Highly recommended! Pick it up!

ElF
Last edit: 29 Sep 2011 19:12 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Ravens_ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds