Amount

DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories

24 May 2012 20:58 #27394 by Random321
DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories was created by Random321
In my opinion the new 52 has come off as more of a cry for attention, not really a smart refreshing to modernize characters on the brand.

Then the news arrived in the last three days that they were going to announce a homosexual character. Then they said it was an established character that would come out. Again, with all the announcements to me it doesn’t seem like an honest homage to a segment of the population – but rather another publicity stunt.

My first fear was that they would select a female character and it would serve a double purpose of being a tease for some guys and giving the appearance of tolerance from the company. It looks like that’s not happening fortunately; Supergirl, Batgirl, Wonderwoman, and of course power girl are safe for the moment.

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38810

Aside from the cheap stunts and politics I wonder what people really want from comics when you read them?

Pure fantasy action? Stories that lightly or deeply delve into the political dealings of the day and so have some substance to them but use extreme characters to blunt the slap across the face a bit? Perhaps like Superman stories used to when he first started. Pure cheese cake? Escapisms from the fast pace, disappointments, or perhaps doldrums of our lives?

Maybe you don’t read them - movies and written word are where you are at. Should comics just be for young adults as a gateway to reading larger works and more mature movies?

Just curious about what people think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 May 2012 08:54 #27401 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories
I've never been much of a comic reader.

From what I understand, Marvel has been quite successful, moreso than DC. I _think_ their comic sales do better, and when you compare the movies, DC doesn't really have anything to speak of besides Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman, vs the Spiderman movies, the X-Men movies (okay some of them did very well compared to others), Iron Man, and now, The Avengers.

From what I can tell, Marvel mostly does fantasy action mixed in with some drama.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
25 May 2012 13:57 #27403 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories
Personally I have very mixed feelings on this New 52. They did a lot of things right, but at the same time they did a lot wrong.
I like the fact that superheroes are more integrated into the social/political context. DC often suffered from a bad case of "heroes workship". The supehumans seemed to exist outside the context of the normal universe and normal people seem to exist only to tell them how cool they are (there were exceptions, like during the Hard-Travelling Heroes storyline).
I'm also open to admit that many character needed a fresh start after the events of Brightest Day and the year to follow (Superman for example), but I hate that they had to cut short on so many others (Powergirl, Zatanna and Stephanie Brown in particular).

It' interesting that the DC is keeping a couple of backdoors open. Flash and Batman apparently have memories of the world pre-Flashpoint and the Phantom Stranger is on the prowl to get his hands on Pandora, the being responsible for this new universe. We'll see.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 May 2012 19:26 #27406 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories
I just started dipping my toe into the new 52 because I really wanted to support Worlds' Finest (the Powergirl/Huntress series). I've caught up with the new Supergirl and I've been pleasantly surprised (still hate the costume). Not sure what my other books are going to be. Earth-2 and Dial-H, probably. I might take a look at the Ravagers, see what Caitlin Fairchild is up to.

I feel like the whole thing was rushed from the outset and too much of the design came from the top (really? collars on everyone?) Things are starting to shake out a little better now, but there are still some serious missteps from my particular point of view. Dismissing Helena Bertinelli in such a cruel way, making the Amazons piratical man-haters, the Batgirl situation.

- GeekSeven

More
14 Jun 2012 01:58 #27587 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories
I feel like they've done nothing that they couldn't have done in the previous universe. I also don't like how they've treated some characters, especially the Teen Titans ones. I'm also sad that a lot of character relations has been completely lost.

I was going into this thinking it might be a good thing, but so far it's only been a waste of time. Thank god Young Justice is still set in a universe similar to the old one.

More
14 Jun 2012 08:25 #27588 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories

ChaozCloud wrote: I feel like they've done nothing that they couldn't have done in the previous universe. I also don't like how they've treated some characters, especially the Teen Titans ones. I'm also sad that a lot of character relations has been completely lost.

I was going into this thinking it might be a good thing, but so far it's only been a waste of time. Thank god Young Justice is still set in a universe similar to the old one.

This really hit home to me when I was reading Ravagers #1 and I saw the interaction between Beast Boy and Terra and I realized that the whole back story of Terra betraying the Teen Titans, which I read as it happened, was just gone. Erased from continuity. Sigh.

- GeekSeven

More
14 Jun 2012 11:29 #27590 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: DC Comics - Cheap Stunts or Good Stories

geekseven wrote:

ChaozCloud wrote: I feel like they've done nothing that they couldn't have done in the previous universe. I also don't like how they've treated some characters, especially the Teen Titans ones. I'm also sad that a lot of character relations has been completely lost.

This really hit home to me when I was reading Ravagers #1 and I saw the interaction between Beast Boy and Terra and I realized that the whole back story of Terra betraying the Teen Titans, which I read as it happened, was just gone. Erased from continuity. Sigh.

Same here, it seem that random bits and pieces from the old continuityare still in place, while others are not, which feel too confusing. Every time they reintroduce a character I'm left wondering if he/she's still the same or not.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds