Amount

Mara from Image Comics

30 Jan 2013 21:45 #30282 by superfunk
Mara from Image Comics was created by superfunk
There is a six issue comic from Image about a sports celebrity who develops superpowers. Issue two is published this week. The protagonist is still developing her powers and no great feats are shown yet (except the flight at the end of second issue). According to the synopises of the future issues, it seems that it promises some good material for our genre. Let's hope it doesn't dissapoint us all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, steelknight3000, Artnico

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• superfunk
  • superfunk's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2013 22:20 #30284 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic Mara from Image Comics
Interesting find. More info at Image Comics

More
31 Jan 2013 02:01 #30287 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Mara from Image Comics
The end of issue 2 has her superness truly revealing itself. Issue came out today and is available on comixology. Very happy with it so far. Good read.

Elf

More
01 Feb 2013 18:33 #30301 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Mara from Image Comics
Would like to see some of the pages. Anyone have any to post?

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
01 Feb 2013 21:16 #30302 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Mara from Image Comics
Here are three panels from the end of the second episode... her superpowers are slowly coming on and she's having her troubles dealing with whatever is happening to her. She's in a volleyball match and comes on a little strong.

velorian.net/screenshot15.jpg

velorian.net/screenshot16.jpg

velorian.net/screenshot17.jpg

Might be an OK comic, but the superpowers are just starting to show in these three panels. The take-off is nicely done, but the third episode will decide it for me, once it comes out.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
More
01 Feb 2013 21:20 #30303 by superfunk
Replied by superfunk on topic Mara from Image Comics
You can visit the authors tumblr page

brianwood.tumblr.com/

There is an ent short summary including, all super feat scenes. And yes she has super-strength too. By the way the comic is quite good to read.

• superfunk
More
07 Mar 2013 19:38 #30676 by superfunk
Replied by superfunk on topic Mara from Image Comics
Issue three is out this week. In this issue other physical and non-physical (telekinetic and mind control I guess) powers are revealed. Worth to check.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steelknight3000

• superfunk
More
10 Mar 2013 08:53 #30698 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Mara from Image Comics
I've just finished catching up to this series and so far (issue #3) I like it a lot. While the first two issues were mostly build up, I like the direction and the interaction between the character is very well written.

More
27 Jan 2014 13:03 - 27 Jan 2014 13:04 #35309 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic Mara from Image Comics
I've just read the whole thing (six issues) and in my opinion this is the epitome of wasted potential.
First two issues had me intrigued, setting and background were original despite their simplicity. The main character seemed ready to show us something big, and I don't mean that just from a fetish standpoint.
Then, nothing happens. From the discovery of Mara's powers to the very end almost nothing happens. Mara is shown to be even less mature than her age (17) would make you think, she shuts off the whole world because a couple of persons treated her badly despite the billions of loyal fans she has. With a short and shallow inner speech she leaves Earth because of her resentment towards humans just to discover that, yeah, perhaps some people are worth something.

This might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. It has no meaning, no purpose. It pretends to dig deep but it doesn't. It fails at whatever it tries to be. Does it want to be a short essay on the side effects of fame? A bedtime story for teenagers (or even pre-teens)? A comic about an emo on steroids? As it is, Mara is a book with half of its first page written. It's a dull short read that drives you nowhere despite the intriguing introduction.
If you're younger than 15, maybe you could like it. Maybe.

As for what concerns our common interest, Mara (character) is essentially godlike. She's utterly invulnerable, she can fly at any given speed and doesn't need to breathe. In one scene we also catch a glimpse of her (allegedly) infinite strength.
But even such prowess can't defeat an utter lack of development.

In my opinion, this is a let-down as big as Dynamite's Bionic Woman. :(

/rant
Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 13:04 by j2001.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
27 Jan 2014 17:10 #35311 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Mara from Image Comics

j2001 wrote: I've just read the whole thing (six issues) and in my opinion this is the epitome of wasted potential.
First two issues had me intrigued, setting and background were original despite their simplicity. The main character seemed ready to show us something big, and I don't mean that just from a fetish standpoint.
Then, nothing happens. From the discovery of Mara's powers to the very end almost nothing happens. Mara is shown to be even less mature than her age (17) would make you think, she shuts off the whole world because a couple of persons treated her badly despite the billions of loyal fans she has. With a short and shallow inner speech she leaves Earth because of her resentment towards humans just to discover that, yeah, perhaps some people are worth something.

This might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. It has no meaning, no purpose. It pretends to dig deep but it doesn't. It fails at whatever it tries to be. Does it want to be a short essay on the side effects of fame? A bedtime story for teenagers (or even pre-teens)? A comic about an emo on steroids? As it is, Mara is a book with half of its first page written. It's a dull short read that drives you nowhere despite the intriguing introduction.
If you're younger than 15, maybe you could like it. Maybe.

As for what concerns our common interest, Mara (character) is essentially godlike. She's utterly invulnerable, she can fly at any given speed and doesn't need to breathe. In one scene we also catch a glimpse of her (allegedly) infinite strength.
But even such prowess can't defeat an utter lack of development.

In my opinion, this is a let-down as big as Dynamite's Bionic Woman. :(

/rant

While my opinion isn't so negative, I have to agree that the story simply doesn't go anywhere. Especially issues #5 and #6 were simply "there". Mara is the only character who got some attempt at depth, pretty much all the others are just cardboard cutouts, and in the two final issues she's simply does things without much explanation. The final attempt of showcasing her having reached such a level that her reasons are beyond what normal humans can comprehend. While some of it might be true, it seemed to me that the author were either scared of their own creation or so time costrained that they didn't know what to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2001

More
27 Jan 2014 17:30 #35312 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Mara from Image Comics
Didn't read all of it, but i got the idea i got from a lot of modern comicbooks

it was written in order to sell to make a movie....that was probably never going to get made. The idea exists that a 6 issue mini series is a good match for a comic, but i have never seen it done well as a movie or read it as a script. In particular it has the problem with a lot of short comics that something feels *missing*. The fact that it didn't seem at all intrested in tension or interpersonal drama is part of it. There often can be what i call the "Every 22 pages theres a splash panel" syndrome which works to a degree in comics(i don't like it) but in movies can make things really disjointed.

I would also comment..on mara in particular. It felt like...a parody of some of the stuff we write and on the internet-the kind of Mary Sue heroine. One of the big things about modern comics i have noticed is that in general-if you are not actively writing a superhero comic this month a lot of creators do not like the genre. Which you know is okay, except i think comics that don't have superheros can be borring also.

Castor

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds