Amount

New Ms. Marvel....umm......

06 Nov 2013 10:47 #34061 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
They're retconing her. In a horrible way. Hopefully this'll be a short lived retcon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2013 11:35 - 06 Nov 2013 11:37 #34063 by Skye
Replied by Skye on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
How is this a retcon? A newly emerged mutant always liked Ms. Marvel and knows that her alias has been unused for weeks, months or whatever (don't know how much time went by in the marvel universe since the name change). So what does she do? She gets a shirt that looks like her costume and calls herself Ms. Marvel.
If any retcon has happened to Ms. Marvel, at least in my opinion, it happened when she changed her name. And well, if I change my Forum name to AliasMcRetcon or something, that is not really a retcon, is it?

On the religious issue... Well, I think I'm an atheist. But in contrast to the more outspoken atheists out there, I have accepted the fact that mankind is deeply stupid. So I don't give a damn about what invisible friend someone believes in and tries to propagate, as much as most people won't care about my thoughts on humanity's chances of survival or what should be done about it.

Of course I should shut up about that part, since, due to working in ecological and climatological research by now, it's pretty much my job to win people over to my view of these things. ;)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2013 11:37 by Skye.

More
06 Nov 2013 11:43 #34065 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
If you believe in Global warming, your not an atheist....Its the worst offending theology currently out there

More
06 Nov 2013 12:04 #34066 by Skye
Usually I'm trying not to respond to trolls, but well...
Beside the point that that would exclude me from being an agnostic, not an atheist, you're right. Global Warming is the worst offending theology currently out there.

And I can say that, because no researcher worth his salt has been talking about Global Warming for at least a decade, except to tell people that it's not about Global Warming. It's called climate change. Some regions get warmer, some get colder, some get floods, some get draughts, some get storms on a unprecedented scale, some see a decline in those.
One problem is that most regions getting warmer have a lot of surface ice and most that get colder are still to warm to form new glaciers and/or don't get sufficiently significant precipitation to matter, so even if the rise in global average temperature will be lower than expected decades ago, we're probably still going to get a rise in sea levels. (Just to address what you were probably thinking about. If you'd like to continue this discussion, we should move to another thread or something.)

More
06 Nov 2013 12:14 #34067 by d_k_c
You hit the nail on the head Skye...You shouldn't respond to trolls.

Unlike many in SWM, I'm never offended. So I actually appreciate that comment. Its an acknowledgment that, clearly, I offended you. So I apologize for that...And clearly...we are in agreement.

Climate change? You mean that thing that been happening for a billion years...Yeah...I agree with you on that as well

More
06 Nov 2013 12:21 #34068 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......

d_k_c wrote: That's even worst

To designate a character to a particular religion means that you'll have to address the Religion in your story line. Obviously you are going to show your religion in a positive light. Considering that the majority of people who buy comics are under 20, what exactly is the intention?

But lets put this in prospective...This is offensive no matter what color you paint it.

Introducing, Super Catholic Girl? Republican Liberty? Jehovah's Marvel? Democratic Justice....He's a man but with a donkey head!

Cmon! Really?

I haven't been this upset since somebody suggested Squirrel girl would be a great movie.

Comics have been pretty good at that over the years:

Huntress is for example a character who has cross on her costume, and has never shyed away from saying "Shes Cathloc". Also Punisher, and a couple of other characters have been speicifically cathloc. A lot more speicifically Christian.

This is true for other stuff to. The Thing for example is jewish(he doesn't look jewish but). Less big but there have been muslim characters before-though i can't think of any that have there own book. Can't think of any Jehovahs Witness characters, but it is kind of a small sect. And Batman, and the Question are both specifically atheists.

As for politics, yes you rarely get democrats or republicans other then jokes, but i think thats more to do with fear of people saying "He wants to vote a certain" way which is verbotem in american pop culture(except in political movies- and even then-its rare for characters to be part of this or that political party).

And this is true in books, TV and movies. Lot of stuff for children deals in this kind of stuff. What is intresting is that this a character from New Jersey. Islam isn't a religion off in the exotic east. its american, which you know good for them for showing.

This is diversity-in addition to religion, you get race, sexual orientation, what have you. Also on Superwomen mania-gender. One could use the claim of tokenism-but in small sample size comics what are you going to do? there is not offensive about it at all.

More
06 Nov 2013 12:31 #34069 by d_k_c
Alright Castor....I'll take your side....But you want diversity? lets make her a Lesbian Muslim, lets see how that flies in the creators Islamic tradition.

More
06 Nov 2013 12:50 #34070 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......

d_k_c wrote: Alright Castor....I'll take your side....But you want diversity? lets make her a Lesbian Muslim, lets see how that flies in the creators Islamic tradition.

Book isn't debuted yet.

I suspect homosexuality will come up at some point in its run(if it lasts any length of time). Whether she's gay or someone she meets is gay i can't say.

More
06 Nov 2013 12:52 #34071 by Skye

d_k_c wrote: You hit the nail on the head Skye...You shouldn't respond to trolls.

Unlike many in SWM, I'm never offended. So I actually appreciate that comment. Its an acknowledgment that, clearly, I offended you. So I apologize for that...And clearly...we are in agreement.

Climate change? You mean that thing that been happening for a billion years...Yeah...I agree with you on that as well

*hugs d_k_c* Damn, could you clone yourself a few million times and come to Germany? I wish even half of the green or industrial "fundamentalists" I meet would acknowledge both of these points so quickly.
Also, if you weren't trying to troll, I'd like to apologize as well. As you might be able to imagine, those two words are kind of a trigger to put someone into either the stupid or troll category and I don't think you're stupid. ;) (... I better re-read that sentence a couple of times before submitting.)

On to other things. I actually always thought, The Thing, or at least his appearance was supposed to be a nod towards the Golem. And while the Golem might not have been jewish per se, it is one of the very few beings from religous myths and stories that I do remember.

Now that I'm thinking about this a bit more, I find the lack of religion (or atheism and agnosticism) and politics in movies, comics, etc. a bit sad. A fine example of how this stuff can improve or even build a character from the ground up, in my opinion, is Will McAvoy from The Newsroom. A self-confessed Republican with, let's say disrespect for the Tea Party and views all over the field, he is one of two reasons I'm watching that show. (And yes, I'd also say that he's a Democrat. ;)
Without that, with their Anchor being just some womanizing, drug-consuming cliche, I don't think that even the goodwill for choosing Deepwater Horizon as their first story would have gotten me to watch more than a few episodes.

An intelligent integration of this stuff into the character's depiction could actually get me to follow a comic series again.

More
06 Nov 2013 13:04 #34072 by d_k_c
*Hugs Skye.....Just so you know, a million pollacks might not be the best suggestion for Germany =D

I know how to get under people's skin, its kind of a fault....But i'm working on it =) Troll? Stuipid? I'm good with both ;)

And I hope that you know, Never in a million years would I demean your profession. I sincerely hope that, that's not how I came across

Hugs!

More
06 Nov 2013 15:06 - 06 Nov 2013 15:07 #34074 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......

geekseven wrote: Relax, Carol Danvers is still around.

She assumed the name Captain Marvel a couple of years ago, along with a more practical costume. She has her own book and is an Avengers regular.

Thanks. I knew there was a Captain Marvel book out there with Carol Danvers but did not know if they were ending it and replacing her with this new Ms. Marvel. If we have both Carol as Captain Marvel and a new Ms. Marvel I am okay with it.

However, I can see this comic book being a train wreck. Are the writers going to take any risks in regards to Islam? Like depicting Muhammed? Having Ms. Marvel question her Islamic upbringing and beliefs? Etc...I would bet not, unless they could get a Fatwa put on them. Which would lead to boring stories and, eventually, cancellation.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2013 15:07 by jdrock24.

More
06 Nov 2013 17:08 #34076 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
It's not "The Adventures of Muslim Girl," she's just a girl who's Muslim. Chillax people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steelknight3000, Woodclaw, MisterK

More
06 Nov 2013 18:51 #34077 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......

d_k_c wrote: Alright Castor....I'll take your side....But you want diversity? lets make her a Lesbian Muslim, lets see how that flies in the creators Islamic tradition.

Let's just say that Marvel has a history of making bad decisions in the attempt to be extra-progressive. Case in point: Monica Rambeau, aka Capfain Marvel II, aka Photon. When she was inteoduced her characterization was just being a afro-american woman that was suddenly put in charge of the Avengers. Later writers triednto gave her a bit more depth, but in general she hadnto bear the mark of being a character characterizazed just by her gender and etnicity.

Giving a character a strong religious/etnical/political background might a be a good move, but only if it's supported by enough characterization to make the character something more than a walking cliche.

More
06 Nov 2013 19:39 #34078 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......

yohashuan wrote: It's not "The Adventures of Muslim Girl," she's just a girl who's Muslim. Chillax people.

Then why did Marvel feel the need to point out that she is Muslim?

I'll tell you why. They wanted comic book buyers to say "Wow! Marvel is edgy! They have a Muslim superhero now? That is cool!"

However, that is a double edged sword. If they want the increased media attention by creating the "first" Muslim superhero and promoting it as such, then the public is going to expect stories about how her religion squares with her abilities and what she does.

Personally, I wonder if the creators will take any risks in regards to her religion and what, if any, backlash will come from that.

More
06 Nov 2013 20:06 #34079 by thewisewatcher
Replied by thewisewatcher on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
I think that this could be a good idea so long as the character's ethnicity/religion are not the only things that make up the character. Like Yosh so eloquently put it, it's the adventures of a super powered girl who just happens to be Muslim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, steelknight3000, Woodclaw

More
06 Nov 2013 21:46 #34082 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
This new Ms Marvel is a very bad news !!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

More
07 Nov 2013 00:09 #34090 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
I'm just wondering how the world's Muslim population is going to react to a strong, empowered and independent Muslim superchick. I know most will be cool with it but still..there is that little tiny percent who like to hang out in underground bomb factories.

More
07 Nov 2013 20:09 #34117 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Well, they definitely are getting attention for it. Have seen it on the news and even Stephen Colbert is talking about her:

www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report.../ms--marvel-s-reboot

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Nov 2013 02:48 #34131 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Very interesting.

More
08 Nov 2013 19:49 #34162 by lfan
For those interested, the new Ms. Marvel made her cameo debut this week in the pages of Captain Marvel #17. I won't post any spoilers and it doesn't show much but its definitely her!

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Nov 2013 20:29 #34163 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Forthose wondering how much of big deal a muslim superhero is: the news about this character made it to the front page of a Italian newspapers. The sad thing is that the same newspaper published a very good article about superhero comic books outside of the US a few years ago, including some pictures of a Palestinian and Egyptian based teams written by locals.

More
09 Nov 2013 05:18 #34172 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
That cover... ...it looks like something I've seen before... ...with a Linda Danvers... ...also an issue #1... ...and with an "S" or lighting-bolt on her chest... Nice homage and or rip off Marvel. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Supergirlfan

More
11 Nov 2013 16:12 #34199 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Have we all forgotten about the Burka Avenger already.

This is hardly new or groundbreaking.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
11 Nov 2013 16:35 #34200 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: Have we all forgotten about the Burka Avenger already.
This is hardly new or groundbreaking.

To forget about them, you have to know about them, I suppose! :) I'd venture to say that Teshkeel's "The 99" probably has 1-2 Muslim girls in their stable, and they've been around for a while as well (30+ issues).

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Nov 2013 18:15 #34201 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic New Ms. Marvel....umm......
Burka Avenger was all over the news a couple of months ago.

More
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds