Amount

New World's Finest Solicitation

19 Feb 2014 13:43 #35572 by lfan
New World's Finest Solicitation was created by lfan
World's Finest continues to be the "goto" comic for girl power feats almost each and every issue, compliments of Kara. If you haven't picked up this series, you should! Cover to World's Finest #23, out on May 14th:

ElF

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Grayface, Raa, Dru1076, aki_zz, SCOTT R, Camille Jones

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Feb 2014 22:54 #35573 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic New World's Finest Solicitation
Looks great. Will wait to see if they publish a TPB of a bunch of issues.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
20 Feb 2014 03:53 #35575 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New World's Finest Solicitation
I think this is the most interesting rag that DC is publishing now. This new version of PG is much closer to the way I'd write her than any of her other incarnations. What's kind of cool is that she was Supergirl on one of the alternate Earths, and then she and the Huntress were sucked through one of Darkseid's boom-tubes and dropped on our Earth. The Supergirl in the New52 series is on this world, as is their new Superman. So she calls herself Power Girl.

I could say a lot about her personality and why I like it, but I do have one gripe with this series. PG is a very public figure -- dozens, maybe hundreds of people know she is also Karen Starr. Yet she's easily able to avoid meeting Superman or SG. I still don't get that. Am I missing something?

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Feb 2014 08:08 #35577 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New World's Finest Solicitation

shadar wrote: I think this is the most interesting rag that DC is publishing now. This new version of PG is much closer to the way I'd write her than any of her other incarnations. What's kind of cool is that she was Supergirl on one of the alternate Earths, and then she and the Huntress were sucked through one of Darkseid's boom-tubes and dropped on our Earth. The Supergirl in the New52 series is on this world, as is their new Superman. So she calls herself Power Girl.

I could say a lot about her personality and why I like it, but I do have one gripe with this series. PG is a very public figure -- dozens, maybe hundreds of people know she is also Karen Starr. Yet she's easily able to avoid meeting Superman or SG. I still don't get that. Am I missing something?

Shadar

Actually PG and Supergirl have met once already and established some kind of truce between them (in part thanks to the fact that they seem to share some kind of empatic link). As for Superman the recent issues hinted that a confrontation might be due soon, but nothing more.
Now, I love this series, in spite of a very slow start, it's shaping up quite well. Still I can't shake the feeling that it's not that well integrated with the rest of the current DC titles.

More
20 Feb 2014 08:10 #35579 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New World's Finest Solicitation

shadar wrote: I think this is the most interesting rag that DC is publishing now. This new version of PG is much closer to the way I'd write her than any of her other incarnations. What's kind of cool is that she was Supergirl on one of the alternate Earths, and then she and the Huntress were sucked through one of Darkseid's boom-tubes and dropped on our Earth. The Supergirl in the New52 series is on this world, as is their new Superman. So she calls herself Power Girl.

Shadar

Ha! Glad to know that I wasn't the only one wondering how Superman and Batman (world's greatest detective) haven't found or discovered these girls -- or even care (or know about their existence). However, Helena and Kara know about them.....

I agree with Kara's personality, and I like how they portray her as an almost non-chalant but super-confident powerhouse ("ho-hum, yep, I can lift a train"). Almost my ideal ubergirl as well.....

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Feb 2014 08:33 #35580 by shadar

Anon wrote:
Actually PG and Supergirl have met once already and established some kind of truce between them (in part thanks to the fact that they seem to share some kind of empatic link). As for Superman the recent issues hinted that a confrontation might be due soon, but nothing more.
Now, I love this series, in spite of a very slow start, it's shaping up quite well. Still I can't shake the feeling that it's not that well integrated with the rest of the current DC titles.

That's a good way to put it, Anon. Poorly integrated. As far as meeting Superman, they writers might have fun with that. To date, they've shown that Karen/Kara having a very healthy sex life, to put it mildly. (Although given her Kryptonian muscle tone, I'm not sure how that works with human guys.) Karen is always open to a roll in the hay with a cute enough guy, so how's she going to handle a super man with his obvious abilities?

If they write her consistent with the previous issues of this series, the Earth is going to shake when those two get together. But... is this the Supes52 who is involved with WW, or the other version of Supes52 who has a thing for Lois Lane. (Already, they are starting to fragment their new reality into multiple paths.) If its the first, then Mmaybe WW will show up to tell Karen to back off from her man. That would be a fight.

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Feb 2014 08:45 #35582 by shadar

lfan wrote:
Ha! Glad to know that I wasn't the only one wondering how Superman and Batman (world's greatest detective) haven't found or discovered these girls -- or even care (or know about their existence). However, Helena and Kara know about them.....

I agree with Kara's personality, and I like how they portray her as an almost non-chalant but super-confident powerhouse ("ho-hum, yep, I can lift a train"). Almost my ideal ubergirl as well.....

ElF

The other thing I like is that her costume is always getting blown to smithereens. That's a lot more realistic than the invulnerable red and blues that the Supes and SG wear. And great fan service, given she has all of PG's traditional curves. Here's an example of the artwork -- she's just stopped some kind of superweapon with her chest, which created a rather iconic tear in her uniform:

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, SCOTT R

• shadar
More
20 Feb 2014 14:28 #35583 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New World's Finest Solicitation
Just chiming in here to say that I love this series for its superheroine content with PG. I picked up the first two trade paperbacks and, admittedly, the first one was kind of slow but the second one really picked up. I especially loved the scene where she invaded that Shiek's compound who had put the hit out on Huntress. The part where she said "Come out, come out, wherever you are..." as she walked through the compound looking for the guy as his guards ran in fear reminded me totally of one of the stories on here.

Like you guys, I am a bit confused how PG has not met SM yet. I mean, he showed up in Red Hood and the Outlaws but has not made time for a woman with powers similar to his? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, I'm sure it will happen sooner or later...

More
20 Feb 2014 14:45 #35584 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New World's Finest Solicitation

shadar wrote:

Anon wrote:

That's a good way to put it, Anon. Poorly integrated. As far as meeting Superman, they writers might have fun with that. To date, they've shown that Karen/Kara having a very healthy sex life, to put it mildly. (Although given her Kryptonian muscle tone, I'm not sure how that works with human guys.) Karen is always open to a roll in the hay with a cute enough guy, so how's she going to handle a super man with his obvious abilities?

If they write her consistent with the previous issues of this series, the Earth is going to shake when those two get together. But... is this the Supes52 who is involved with WW, or the other version of Supes52 who has a thing for Lois Lane. (Already, they are starting to fragment their new reality into multiple paths.) If its the first, then Mmaybe WW will show up to tell Karen to back off from her man. That would be a fight.

Shadar

Based on some recent events (Huntress visiting Damian's tomb) I guess it should be the most recent version of Superman, who is going steady with Diana. Unfortunatly the powers-that-be of DC decided to start some titles in a 201X timeline, while others were roughly 5-6 years earlier, which only increased the confusion. Superman who is trying to hit on Lois should be the 5-years-ago incarnation.

shadar wrote:

lfan wrote:

ElF

The other thing I like is that her costume is always getting blown to smithereens. That's a lot more realistic than the invulnerable red and blues that the Supes and SG wear. And great fan service, given she has all of PG's traditional curves. Here's an example of the artwork -- she's just stopped some kind of superweapon with her chest, which created a rather iconic tear in her uniform:

This image is hidden for guests.

About Batman I think that the assumption so far is that Damian covered his almost-sister tracks after they met, but it's just my assumption.
As for PG costume the wear and tear are now a thing of the past, since her current white leotard was kindly provided by Supergirl and is supposed to be Kryptonian fabric.

More
20 Feb 2014 17:43 #35585 by shadar
Too bad on the change of costume to something that is invulnerable. I enjoyed her continuous challenge to keep some clothing on, which she mostly failed at. Between high-speed flight and soaking up gunfire and every other kind of normally lethal assault, a "realistic" portrayal should involve compromised clothing. And as we saw in the early issues, Karen doesn't much care either way. It was Selene who was always chiding her for her lack of modesty... and her too frequent hookups.

Karen did use her considerable wealth to commission the toughest, most bulletproof clothing possible on Earth, but that wasn't enough given she faced some super weapons. This more recent idea of tossing in a spare Kryptonian super-costume that is styled more along traditional PG lines, as opposed to SG, is a cop-out.

But I guess even today, the mainstream comics have to step carefully around promiscuity and nudity.

Early on (decades ago, I'm talking about) PG was a bit of a man hater. If anyone stared too long at the cutout of her costume or made a sexist comment, she'd hurt them. Her attitude toward men was about what you'd expect of a young woman who knew they had nothing to offer to a superwoman like herself. She was the Girl of Steel. Men were just firm Jello or whatever. That worked in its own way.

In contrast, this series started off with her enjoying men, in all the ways. I mean, if you are a wealthy, beautiful CEO of a corporation, and also PowerGirl, why not? She can't exactly get hurt, sick or pregnant. No consequences other than a good time. Now it seems they are toning things down in the later issues. I'm assuming someone in authority had a word with someone about that. But I thought it was fun and "realistic" for a 21st century young woman.

But, of course, "realistic" doesn't mean anything in this context.

Shadar

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2014 14:18 #35597 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic New World's Finest Solicitation
This is always how I imagined PG, as a powerful and superstrong sexy woman. I hope this will be confirmed in the next DC's comics !

More
22 Feb 2014 16:35 #35599 by shadar
I'm not sure what "confirmed" means in this context, but the World's Finest series is up to issue #20 or so, and Karen/Kara has been portrayed as I described below for most of those issues. Lots of good reading out there if you use Comixology or DC's app for iPad (or presumably other devices) to get the electronic editions. Art was mostly excellent at beginning and is still OK now.

You want to get the World's Finest series labeled as starting in 2012.

Shadar

Artnico wrote: This is always how I imagined PG, as a powerful and superstrong sexy woman. I hope this will be confirmed in the next DC's comics !

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2014 19:46 #35600 by shadar
Just for grins, I'll publish a few scenes from World's Finest that tickled my fancy:

Scene 1: Karen Starr is visiting one of the various labs she owns...

velorian.net/pg_scene1_00.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_01.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_02.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_03.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_04.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_05.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_06.jpg
velorian.net/pg_scene1_07.jpg

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, jyache, SCOTT R

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2014 20:04 #35601 by shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2014 20:19 #35602 by shadar

• shadar
More
22 Feb 2014 20:20 #35603 by shadar
An last for the moment... a single frame from another issue after an artist change. Still fun... Karen and Selene out for a walk:

velorian.net/pg_scene3_00.jpg

Shadar

• shadar
More
23 Feb 2014 10:26 - 23 Feb 2014 10:29 #35606 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic New World's Finest Solicitation
A little interesting fact...

You know they always list these comic characters as "pressing" 100 tons max.

I work on oil and gas vessels. The tanker in the comic panel we can assume to be a general purpose tanker which they use through the channels to load and unload at different terminals. Their LDT, or unloaded weight can be as high as 20,000 tons. A ship that big, which is not the biggest, has a DWT, or dead weight, or weight all the cargo, fuel, stowage, crew, etc. is as high as 60,000 tons.

So, Power Girl could be lifting a ship to the tune of as little as 40,000 or as much as 80,000 tons in that panel! A far cry from 100, don't you think? :)

*Numbers are grossly rounded approximates for you math nerds. ;)
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 10:29 by jnw550.

More
23 Feb 2014 17:13 #35610 by shadar
The exception seems to be Kryptonians, who most guides put in the 100+ category. Except that PG's strength is clearly + + + + + + and then a whole bunch more.

What I thought was nice in that scene below was having the back of that tanker snap as she lifted it and dumping all the oil over her and into the water. Clearly ships aren't designed to be supported that way, and in reality, she never would have gotten it out of the water. But having it break a ways up is more dramatic, and this is a comic book. But far better than showing her actually carrying it to safety.

I also liked the way she dispatched that battle bot in the CERN scene. The way she dug her fingers into the steel and then tunneled to the surface, towing the bot behind her before it self-destructed. The only thing that was odd was discovering that her brassiere was indestructible along with the top of her skirt. Damn those comic book censors, they always mess up "reality". In "reality", her clothing should have vaporized after the first fiery blasts from that battle bot. And since she left Krypton as a baby (or so most of the PG history goes), she hardly would have been wearing a DDD bra when she left. So how she'd get one on Earth prior to meeting Supergirl (who doesn't wear anything close to that size bra in any case)?

That's not the way I'd write it. I really enjoy the concept of a gorgeous young woman standing nude in the middle of a shattered street, looking a bit dazed and cross-eyed after absorbing a super-powered punch from some battle cyborg (or Arion Destroyer in my stories), the air around her filled with the bright confetti of what used to be her colorful clothing, the shock wave from that single punch tossing people and cars in all directions, collapsing weak buildings and taking out every window within a half mile. That would be one heck of a punch -- but nothing compared to the blows she's about to return.

But then, I guess I'm a little geeky when it comes to "my reality". <grin>

Shadar

jnw550 wrote: A little interesting fact...

You know they always list these comic characters as "pressing" 100 tons max.

I work on oil and gas vessels. The tanker in the comic panel we can assume to be a general purpose tanker which they use through the channels to load and unload at different terminals. Their LDT, or unloaded weight can be as high as 20,000 tons. A ship that big, which is not the biggest, has a DWT, or dead weight, or weight all the cargo, fuel, stowage, crew, etc. is as high as 60,000 tons.

So, Power Girl could be lifting a ship to the tune of as little as 40,000 or as much as 80,000 tons in that panel! A far cry from 100, don't you think? :)

*Numbers are grossly rounded approximates for you math nerds. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds