Amount

Tomboy

19 May 2014 17:41 - 19 May 2014 21:29 #36508 by castor
Tomboy was created by castor
Found a scan of a suprisingly well written comic from the 50's. Thought i would share.

digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=11447&page=16

It's tomboy teen girl superheroine- who people have said maybe the first non sidekick teenage superhero of either gender. Reading this if you told me that stan Lee read this when coming up with Spiderman, i would belive it, though it reads kinda diffrent then that.

Its pretty well done for the era-writing holds up, as does the art. They did 4 stories-this was written in the kind mid years of comic ages by a very small time publisher-but check it out. Its got a take on 50s life that works better then it should-if nothing else the title is worth something.

For those who measure stories by the number of strength feats-well its got attitude, which i kind of like.

Castor
Last edit: 19 May 2014 21:29 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yaracyrrah, SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 May 2014 02:32 #36509 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Tomboy
Very nice find! Love it.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Dec 2014 03:31 #39583 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Tomboy
I know this is an old thread, but somehow I missed it until I was browsing the index this evening.

A fun little story. A few things I particularly enjoyed:

1. The bad guy telling the police captain "Don't bother to tell Tomboy." Way to rub it in that the town's police force depends on a young teenage girl to handle the criminals!

2. Janie's brother scoffing at Janie while crushing on Tomboy -- amusing, if slightly creepy. I wonder if he ever found out they were one and the same, and what his reaction was? Story possibilities here ...

3. Tomboy's casual attitude as she swims off, after sending the bad guys to a horrible death. (I'm guessing this was a pre- Comics Code story.)

4. Castor implies that there are no "strength feats" to interest us SWManiacs, but I dunno ... here's a girl who can swing from the underside of an airplane's wing and hold the bomb bay door shut with her legs, then ride the burning plane down until it splashes into the bay. That's got to call for some degree of super-strength (and super-agility). Maybe her super-strength has just begun to develop, and she'll get stronger as she grows older.

If this weren't such an obscure character, I'd speculate that she was the inspiration for Hit-Girl, in the Kick-Ass movies. The two characters are similar in size, age, hairstyle, and M.O, and they both wear off-the-rack costumes with domino masks.

I'd like to see one of our writers do something with this character!

More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds