Amount

Thor is now a chick!

15 Jul 2014 18:17 #37313 by ace191
Thor is now a chick! was created by ace191
I have that comic with Jane Foster getting the Hammer. Looks like maybe we FINALLY will get the chance to have a great Superheroine movie!

From Yahoo.com Marvel's Thor is Now a Woman, Comics Studio Announces

movies.yahoo.com/news/marvels-thor-now-w...unces-152500532.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ace191
  • ace191's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Jul 2014 19:03 #37314 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Thor is now a chick!
That back issue of What If is kinda what sent my ubergirl barometer into overdrive wayyyy back when. As for the decision, far be it from me to object to more superstrong heroines running around the Marvel Universe, but Marvel seems to be jumping an entire pit of sharks of late in "reimagining" so many of their properties:

Killing Wolverine....Seemingly putting the FF in the freezer ....Making Captain America Black (seemingly)....Making Thor a Woman....Switching Doc Ock with Peter and then back again.....Discovering ANOTHER person was bitten by the spider.....

I'm of course leaving out any upheavals in the 92 different Xmen books cause I can never follow what the fuck is going on there.......

Nevertheless, will be great to see a female Thor, though I hope she's gonna ditch that helmet.....

ElF

More
15 Jul 2014 19:29 #37315 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Thor is now a chick!

lfan wrote: As for the decision, far be it from me to object to more superstrong heroines running around the Marvel Universe, but Marvel seems to be jumping an entire pit of sharks of late in "reimagining" so many of their properties:

Killing Wolverine....Seemingly putting the FF in the freezer ....Making Captain America Black (seemingly)....Making Thor a Woman....Switching Doc Ock with Peter and then back again.....Discovering ANOTHER person was bitten by the spider.....

I'm of course leaving out any upheavals in the 92 different Xmen books cause I can never follow what the fuck is going on there.......

Nevertheless, will be great to see a female Thor, though I hope she's gonna ditch that helmet.....

ElF

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. I have the strong impressione that Marvel is pushing the limits to see how far each concept can go, just to go back after a while (not exactly a big surprise). It's not that I'm not interested in this idea, but I think that there are other, more interesting way of handling these kind of things (MC2 ...)

More
15 Jul 2014 19:31 #37316 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Thor is now a chick!
For those of you who do not know, the default for CATEGORIES is he Library which is how I posted this. I think Lfan changed it to Superwomen in Comics which is more appropriate. If you click on Library it will give you the various choices. In short, read everything BEFORE clicking submit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

• ace191
  • ace191's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Jul 2014 20:55 #37320 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Thor is now a chick!
Awesome!

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2014 21:32 #37321 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic Thor is now a chick!
As a Superheroine fan, it's great but as comic fan it is quiet disturbing. Superman is a man wonderwoman is a woman since forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
15 Jul 2014 22:00 #37322 by lfan

smoki07 wrote: As a Superheroine fan, it's great but as comic fan it is quiet disturbing. Superman is a man wonderwoman is a woman since forever.

Tend to agree here, I guess......I like a female version of Thor, but not really at the expense of the real Thor. I mean they "created" other Thors like Beta Ray Bill and the Toad version, why couldn't they just create a female version with her own hammer.

Call me a traditionalist.....

ElF

More
15 Jul 2014 22:07 #37323 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Thor is now a chick!

lfan wrote:

smoki07 wrote: As a Superheroine fan, it's great but as comic fan it is quiet disturbing. Superman is a man wonderwoman is a woman since forever.

Tend to agree here, I guess......I like a female version of Thor, but not really at the expense of the real Thor. I mean they "created" other Thors like Beta Ray Bill and the Toad version, why couldn't they just create a female version with her own hammer.

ElF

In a sense they did, during the 80s Storm had her own version of Mjolnir for something like 6 pages :p

More
15 Jul 2014 22:12 #37324 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Thor is now a chick!
All i can say is: Buy the comic. You don't four five months we go back.

More
15 Jul 2014 22:16 #37325 by Dr. Muttonchops
Personally, I'm fine with it. I love stories about female heroes no matter whether they were originally men. I think she looks fantastic!

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2014 22:19 #37326 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Thor is now a chick!
Like Bucky Cap and Superior Spiderman this is just a short term publicity stunt. Once it's about time for Thor 3 to come out they'll have the original Thor back.

Like the last guy who took over for Thor for awhile.

More
15 Jul 2014 22:20 #37327 by lfan

castor wrote: All i can say is: Buy the comic. You don't four five months we go back.

Most likely, we're going back anyway.....

Death of Superman.....Death of Supergirl.....Death of Jean Grey.....Death of Flash......New Coke......

The original tends to always return at some point.......

ElF

More
15 Jul 2014 23:43 #37329 by crazyfck
Replied by crazyfck on topic Thor is now a chick!
The View clip here, that female audience seemed very receptive:

Whoopi Goldberg is even more excited by it than me

This is bold... but will it reach the marvel movies/series?

It was Joss Whedon idea? The avengers flagship is his...

More
16 Jul 2014 00:14 #37330 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Thor is now a chick!
i seriously don’t get it, why make a change like this, it seems to me a simple marketing strategy like the in the did for new coke.

it wont translate to movies or to TV,

i see this idea being dropped like any other bad idea.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Jul 2014 01:45 #37331 by castor

lfan wrote:

castor wrote: All i can say is: Buy the comic. You don't four five months we go back.

Most likely, we're going back anyway.....

Death of Superman.....Death of Supergirl.....Death of Jean Grey.....Death of Flash......New Coke......

The original tends to always return at some point.......

ElF

If this sells well-like dramatically well more then Thor who has the "Hes kind of the most powerful superhero we have, but who is also kind of middle in terms of sales" Problem then i could see them sticking with this for awhile. Thors Sells about 40,000 copies a month-which isn't a lot, and is numbers that if people wanted could go up a lot(40,000 isn't bad in terms of comics-the top 10 comics sell about 100,000 each). This goes up to 60k, the new character catches on-yeah why not.

Does this mean that Chris Hemsworth is suddenly going to get replaced in the next movie- Well if they keep doing it and it catchs on maybe. Like i said a couple of months ago-in 2013 of the top 10 best selling movies 4 you could classify as female superhero movies and more had female protaginists- Disney knows this-it had its most sucseful movie ever with Frozen. You know again if people like it why not

I doubt in terms of thor 3--but well you know i suspect in ten years we will see another thor movie with a new cast(ala superman and spiderman) and...well if we have 10 years of girl thor...why not.

(Though i heard a fair amount of speculation online that this view thing was going to be a Ms. Marvel movie so..well progress)

Castor .

More
16 Jul 2014 01:57 #37332 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Thor is now a chick!
One of the problems here is that there's a whole slew of kick-ass female Asgardians that could come to the forefront instead of just gender-swapping Thor. What would be awesome is if this turns out to be Thor's daughter, Thrud. She's semi-canonical for Marvel already and this would be a good way to showcase a solid female character for Marvel before returning to the status quo and possibly give her a solo book or otherwise firmly bring her into the Marvel Universe at large.

More
16 Jul 2014 02:26 #37333 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Thor is now a chick!

lfan wrote:

ElF

You're a traditionalist.

Honestly, the real problem here is that the concept is self limiting. Thor will not remain a woman. Period. Thor is Thor, the Norse god of thunder. He is not a she. Thus, any continuity in which Thor is a woman will eventually revert to Thor being a man again. The status quo is god. Had they created a new god of thunder. . . goddess of thunder, she might have remained and even grown into her own character rather than being a glorified what-if that will happen, be reversed, and then never referenced again.

That said, I'm pretty sure I recall a time when Storm of the X-men got her own thunder hammer. I believe she was depowered for some reason and was tricked/tempted into replacing the real Thor in exchange for getting some weather powers back. Or something. I read it a long long time ago. Or else I imagined it. So the concept is not entirely new.

More
16 Jul 2014 02:43 #37335 by lfan

Jabbrwock wrote:

lfan wrote:

ElF

You're a traditionalist.

Honestly, the real problem here is that the concept is self limiting. Thor will not remain a woman. Period. Thor is Thor, the Norse god of thunder. He is not a she. Thus, any continuity in which Thor is a woman will eventually revert to Thor being a man again. The status quo is god. Had they created a new god of thunder. . . goddess of thunder, she might have remained and even grown into her own character rather than being a glorified what-if that will happen, be reversed, and then never referenced again.

That said, I'm pretty sure I recall a time when Storm of the X-men got her own thunder hammer. I believe she was depowered for some reason and was tricked/tempted into replacing the real Thor in exchange for getting some weather powers back. Or something. I read it a long long time ago. Or else I imagined it. So the concept is not entirely new.

Vaguely remember the Storm story which I think Woodclaw mentions earlier. By my count, Marvel had a previous female Thor with the Alex Ross series and then has had at least four women wield his hammer in some incarnation: Storm (mentioned before), Jane Foster and Rogue (What if series) and Wonder Woman (Marvel vs DC)

ElF

More
16 Jul 2014 04:02 #37336 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Thor is now a chick!
Can anyone name a truly ORIGINAL character from the braintrust at Marvel or DC that has caught on with the general public?
They just reimagine the great characters that the creators from the Gold and Silver again and again.
Thor is a woman.
That's better than creating an ORIGINAL character that can stand on her own two feet.

More
16 Jul 2014 04:35 - 16 Jul 2014 06:33 #37337 by castor

Markiehoe wrote: Can anyone name a truly ORIGINAL character from the braintrust at Marvel or DC that has caught on with the general public?
They just reimagine the great characters that the creators from the Gold and Silver again and again.
Thor is a woman.
That's better than creating an ORIGINAL character that can stand on her own two feet.

Well Harley Quinn is from the early 90s-- so that doesn't really count. Same for DeadPool who is also popular

And Well looking at there release books.

Ms Marvel-nope kind of a reimaging.

Batwoman- as a character shes less then 10 years old. however its kinda of a vauge reimaging of a character from the 60s.

Red Hood and the outlaws-well thats combinging a reimagined character from the 80s and a.. reimagined team...moving on.

Red Lanterns-Well thats from the last 10 years but not really all that diffrent from Green Lantern.

Guardians of the Galaxy come from the late 90s-though its a team of marvel space heros of various vintages, and is kinda of a tribute to bronze age writing.

huh

Well DC does Astro City-which is basically a reimaged homage to various superheros.

*scratches head*

All New Doop is an X men character from the early 2000s who has his own funny book- which is basically marvels least selling title.

JESUS YOUR RIGHT!!!!

Okay. When DC launched the new 52 they did have a couple of new or newish heros in the mix...however all of those books have been canceled. Huh.

Marvel have given books to characters like Moon Knight and Nova...but yeah there silver ages characters who weren't around for a long time.

Well okay.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 06:33 by castor.

More
16 Jul 2014 07:05 - 16 Jul 2014 14:11 #37339 by castor
Yeah that really is striking.

To the extent that comics these days are basically IPs that are largely thought of as there publishers less as individual books sales then something to transition to Movies and a lesser extent video games and TV, there really hasn't been any kind of popular new character in the last 10 years on the superhero side.

There have been several Horror, Crime and Science fiction--but superheros, the stuff that most people think. Yeah No.

The new books that are out there like Earth 2 and Moon Knight are mostly regurgitation much earlier stuff. Other books are repackings of popular characters. Of course the 90s where thick with attempts to do just that, most of which have vanished and a large number wasn't good...but man.

The companies-and lets face it marvel is a little more guilty of this-don't seem to be trying to try any more.

When all you could argue they exist to do is try.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 14:11 by castor.

More
16 Jul 2014 12:02 #37342 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Thor is now a chick!
Harley Quinn is as close as we get to an ORIGINAL male or female character and you have to remember she was created by DC Animation not DC Comics.

More
16 Jul 2014 14:52 #37343 by Dr. Muttonchops
Do you suppose that's why my Superwoman stories are unpopular here, because they're not original?

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2014 16:15 #37346 by brad328
Replied by brad328 on topic Thor is now a chick!
Off Topic: I disagree with that statement Dr. If you look at the number of views you'll see they average over 2750 views each and the number of views has increased exponentially over the last two years. Don't view popularity solely on the number of comments you receive because 99% of the registered members don't comment, that doesn't mean 99% don't like your work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zespara

More
16 Jul 2014 16:19 #37347 by castor

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Do you suppose that's why my Superwoman stories are unpopular here, because they're not original?

Most of your stories are direct copies of 40s style superhero stories

But actually compared to a lot of modern comic stuff- they feel if not original fresh . They tell complete self contained stories, with a minimum of angst and soap opera with a sence of fun and joy to the characters even the villians. You cheat a bit-i don't think you could do any of your stories in 22 pages=-but the point stands

What tends to happen with modern comics is they take characters from the sixties and give them the plotting style of the 80s At its best it can make effecting human drama mixed with ocasional superbattles. At its worse it can make stories of vaguely psychotic jerks.

Your doing fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops

More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds