Amount

Thor is now a chick!

16 Jul 2014 07:05 - 16 Jul 2014 14:11 #37339 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Thor is now a chick!
Yeah that really is striking.

To the extent that comics these days are basically IPs that are largely thought of as there publishers less as individual books sales then something to transition to Movies and a lesser extent video games and TV, there really hasn't been any kind of popular new character in the last 10 years on the superhero side.

There have been several Horror, Crime and Science fiction--but superheros, the stuff that most people think. Yeah No.

The new books that are out there like Earth 2 and Moon Knight are mostly regurgitation much earlier stuff. Other books are repackings of popular characters. Of course the 90s where thick with attempts to do just that, most of which have vanished and a large number wasn't good...but man.

The companies-and lets face it marvel is a little more guilty of this-don't seem to be trying to try any more.

When all you could argue they exist to do is try.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 14:11 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 12:02 #37342 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Thor is now a chick!
Harley Quinn is as close as we get to an ORIGINAL male or female character and you have to remember she was created by DC Animation not DC Comics.

More
16 Jul 2014 14:52 #37343 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic Thor is now a chick!
Do you suppose that's why my Superwoman stories are unpopular here, because they're not original?

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2014 16:15 #37346 by brad328
Replied by brad328 on topic Thor is now a chick!
Off Topic: I disagree with that statement Dr. If you look at the number of views you'll see they average over 2750 views each and the number of views has increased exponentially over the last two years. Don't view popularity solely on the number of comments you receive because 99% of the registered members don't comment, that doesn't mean 99% don't like your work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zespara

More
16 Jul 2014 16:19 #37347 by castor

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Do you suppose that's why my Superwoman stories are unpopular here, because they're not original?

Most of your stories are direct copies of 40s style superhero stories

But actually compared to a lot of modern comic stuff- they feel if not original fresh . They tell complete self contained stories, with a minimum of angst and soap opera with a sence of fun and joy to the characters even the villians. You cheat a bit-i don't think you could do any of your stories in 22 pages=-but the point stands

What tends to happen with modern comics is they take characters from the sixties and give them the plotting style of the 80s At its best it can make effecting human drama mixed with ocasional superbattles. At its worse it can make stories of vaguely psychotic jerks.

Your doing fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops

More
16 Jul 2014 16:21 #37348 by Dr. Muttonchops
Alright. Thanks.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2014 16:27 #37349 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Thor is now a chick!

brad328 wrote: Off Topic: I disagree with that statement Dr. If you look at the number of views you'll see they average over 2750 views each and the number of views has increased exponentially over the last two years. Don't view popularity solely on the number of comments you receive because 99% of the registered members don't comment, that doesn't mean 99% don't like your work.

On Topic: That fabulous panel from What If #10........

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, brad328, Dr. Muttonchops

More
16 Jul 2014 16:31 #37350 by Dr. Muttonchops
Ah, yes. I'm very familiar with that picture. Wonderful!

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2014 19:27 #37353 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Thor is now a chick!

brad328 wrote: Off Topic: I disagree with that statement Dr. If you look at the number of views you'll see they average over 2750 views each and the number of views has increased exponentially over the last two years. Don't view popularity solely on the number of comments you receive because 99% of the registered members don't comment, that doesn't mean 99% don't like your work.

Same here Doc. I don't think that your stories are unpopular at all. If you limit yourself to numbers then things will always look bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops, furbutt4

More
16 Jul 2014 20:47 #37355 by Dr. Muttonchops
Alright, thank you. I'm trying to have the subject stay on topic.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2014 22:36 #37380 by fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Jul 2014 23:28 #37382 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Thor is now a chick!

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: Do you suppose that's why my Superwoman stories are unpopular here, because they're not original?

Trust me, anytime one of your stories gets 1000 or more hits, plenty of folks are enjoying it, myself included! The hit meter has become my best motivator.

• ace191
  • ace191's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jul 2014 00:01 #37384 by Dr. Muttonchops
Ah, I see. Thanks for telling me about that.

But back on topic: Like I said, personally I'm fine with a female Thor, possibly because I simply love female superheroes that much, but if she were her own original offshoot, that would be great for me too.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2014 05:17 #37436 by lfan
Frank Cho's SDCC Sketch Cover:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache

More
05 Sep 2014 00:37 #38029 by lfan
First previews (well, some of the cover art is not really new):

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23409

ElF

More
05 Sep 2014 01:56 #38033 by castor

lfan wrote: First previews (well, some of the cover art is not really new):

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23409

ElF

Well this doesn;'t't sound all that promising-not necessairly from a female centric perspective but from a comic narrative. The secret of marvel comics has always been making sure the protaginist is relatable and well-the protaginist. Little mixed on Teenage Ms. Marvel-but they do get that right. They do a great job of it actually.

The idea of an unkown woman picking up the hammer from thor(whoses still around) and taking it on absentee adventures-well thats not the greatest idea i have heard ever-that said-well take a look at it. It maybe one of those things where we learn more about her over the next several issues-but the "Woman of mystery" storyline-ahh never does much for me.

More
05 Sep 2014 06:09 #38037 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Thor is now a chick!
But the "Man/Person of Mystery" is one of the oldest tropes (not all tropes are bad, they get reused for a reason). The secret is that you can't hold it for long. I sure hope that they don't do that. (I still think it's Thor's daughter from myth, the best she's wearing seems like Thor's belt of Strength.)

And, even so, not telling you all of someone's full backstory, or their name, doesn't mean that you don't get to know them. It does mean that the writer will need to be good to make up for it. But you are right, the secret to Spider-Man is that the story is about Peter Parker. That's the genius of Stan Lee, and the legacy he left behind.

But, this book also has additional baggage. In that Thor is still a character in this (from the preview and the talk before when they were talking about it). I thought it might be another book, but it seems like it's in this one. I say baggage, as now it has to tell a story about two people. OTH, if it's done right they are going to contrast each off the other.

And Thor is now taking part of a time honored trope himself -- the Fall of the Hero. He's no longer worthy, and he now starts an arc where her learns what it means to be Thor -- it should be far more than merely carrying a hammer or even passing it's fitness test. If that is written well -- the story will be utterly fantastic. it's the source of some of the best stories. Demon in a bottle (Iron Man) is the fall of the hero and his redemption, and it's probably the best Iron Man story ever.

OTH, done badly, it's also some of the biggest tripe ever. So Only time will tell.

I'm going to buy it for the Super Strong Female link. That's good for an issue or two. But I'm taking a wait and see on the story, to see if it's good enough to keep me reading.

I will say that I found the adding the "s" to "he" in the first page to be .. a bit cheesy. And why is that text in English anyway?

Also Thor's fall is ENTIRELY psychological. Because Fury whispered something to him, and suddenly his not worthy. So he wasn't worthy BEFORE, but he didn't know something, but the hammer said he was worthy. He KNOWS he's not, and suddenly the hammer rejects him. Seems all fishy.

More
07 Sep 2014 05:59 #38053 by castor

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:
And Thor is now taking part of a time honored trope himself -- the Fall of the Hero. He's no longer worthy, and he now starts an arc where her learns what it means to be Thor -- it should be far more than merely carrying a hammer or even passing it's fitness test. If that is written well -- the story will be utterly fantastic. it's the source of some of the best stories. Demon in a bottle (Iron Man) is the fall of the hero and his redemption, and it's probably the best Iron Man story ever.

OTH, done badly, it's also some of the biggest tripe ever. So Only time will tell.

You hit the head on the nail here. Marvel characters (well all comicbook characters) tend to be defined by a couple of stories told over and over again-and this is kind of Thors one. Is he worthy of it? This is the basically the plot of his first movie, and you see tinges of it in avengers as well.

It can be done well. It can be tripe.

The female centric part of this....well this well looks like we are going to get a character we are not going to see very long at least in a staring role. If Staring is even what she gets. This sounds like a background character who does stuff mysteriously until thor gets his mojo back. A woman doing a mans job-which you know she can-but well we all know whats right with this story? This doesn't seem like a story thats going to pass the Bechnal test if you know what i mean.

Which is a shame-becuse this is a kind of good idea-and if done well it could be fun-a marvel mainstay is replaced by a woman. However its less intresting if its I love lucy doing an "i can do your job just as well" type deal.

More
07 Sep 2014 07:03 #38056 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Thor is now a chick!
The last guy to borrow Thor's powers for awhile, ended up getting a similar powerset of his own after he had to give them back as thanks for doing a good job with them. So this new Thor lady might still get to stick around after Thor inevitably gets them back.

Granted said guy was eventually killed off in the pre Avengers dissembled purge.

More
07 Sep 2014 09:36 #38057 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Thor is now a chick!

jimbob wrote: The last guy to borrow Thor's powers for awhile, ended up getting a similar powerset of his own after he had to give them back as thanks for doing a good job with them. So this new Thor lady might still get to stick around after Thor inevitably gets them back.

Granted said guy was eventually killed off in the pre Avengers dissembled purge.

Well Thor had quite the number of expies over the years but, to my knowledge, the only one who died instead of being written out of continuity was Thunderstrike who, inspite of how horribly '90s he looked, was actually a pretty interesting character. Granted he was no masterpiece, but he served the purpose of injecting a bit of everyday trouble in an otherwise hard to figure book. It helps in my eyes that last year the authors of the original book returned briefly to Marvel and wrote a 5 issues series featuring his son and pretty much creating an interesting heroic legacy (something that Marvel usually epicly fails to do).

More
07 Sep 2014 10:32 #38058 by TwiceOnThursdays
Don't forget Beta ray bill!

More
01 Oct 2014 20:48 #38362 by lfan
Just a little bump and reminder that the issue came out today......

ElF

More
01 Oct 2014 21:45 - 01 Oct 2014 21:45 #38366 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Thor is now a chick!
Just bought it.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2014 21:45 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
01 Oct 2014 22:18 - 01 Oct 2014 22:23 #38367 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic Thor is now a chick!
Spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler!

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"
Last edit: 01 Oct 2014 22:23 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
02 Oct 2014 01:34 #38372 by TwiceOnThursdays
I don't think your spoiler is a spoiler. Does anyone else who has read it think so? I think it's something that people with our interests should be told.

That said, I really liked it. The story is about what I expected so far: Thor has to redefine himself now that he's not "worthy". Thor's battle was a bit "we need this to happen" (seems quick/forced).

I'm willing to give it another issue (or so) to see if it keeps being interesting, and at this point, I think that's a pretty good bet.

More
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds