Amount

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

06 Oct 2014 20:25 #38410 by castor
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was created by castor
popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/06/squirrel-girl-marvel/

The Rumors for the last couple of months are True!! where getting for the first time a Monthly Squirrel Girl series from Marvel, featuring the adventures of New College Student Doreen Green, who has the mutant powers the abilities and the proportional Strength of a Squirrel-and the most powerful force in the universe.

I have long been a fan of Squirrel Girl but i understand people who don't. Frankly the art from what i see isn't doing that much for me...a little two much trying for not quite anime cute-but well shes a great character when done well.

Someone said of my writing that i write incomplete Characters-what i do like ultimately about her is that she is complete. She has complete faith in her powers no matter how silly they are, and has a burning desire to use them to make the world a better place. She doesn't angst for what she doesn't have she works to make what she can. Its not her, but the world that's incomplete without her-and who wouldn't like a little more Squirrel girl in the world?

Castor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Jan 2015 15:59 #39851 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Read it.

This is a great comic. A *great* comic, funny joyious, and a good amount of suprising action in it. I highly recomend this funny story about A woman trying to balance being a superhero and A computer networking student.

Also-if you ask what about the superstrength scenes? Yes there is a surprisingly a lot of it in the book. Squirrel Girl is super Strong(she has the propotional strength and power and power of one of the most dangerous animals in the world after all)- and in a very funny sequence has a hard time comprehending that people don't. Theres a lot of funny stuff about a woman who has been a superhero most of her life and general is having trouble adopting to a secret identity-which in college may not make you stand out as much as you think.

Arts a little cartoony, but it works for what there going for. For comic readers a strong buy

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Jan 2015 18:18 #39852 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

castor wrote: Read it.

This is a great comic. A *great* comic, funny joyious, and a good amount of suprising action in it. I highly recomend this funny story about A woman trying to balance being a superhero and A computer networking student.

I have to say that I went in with medium to low expectations on the fun side, Squirrel Girl is a funny character, but many authors seem too keen on trying to make her deliberately funny -- a problem she has in common with Spider-Man -- and overdo the comedy to the point it's not funny anymore.
While this book pushed a bit hard here and there it is, for the most part, genuinily funny. It reminded me a bit of the style used by Jimmy Palmiotti on Power Girl back in 2010 (which is a major praise in my book).

castor wrote: Also-if you ask what about the superstrength scenes? Yes there is a surprisingly a lot of it in the book. Squirrel Girl is super Strong(she has the propotional strength and power and power of one of the most dangerous animals in the world after all)- and in a very funny sequence has a hard time comprehending that people don't. Theres a lot of funny stuff about a woman who has been a superhero most of her life and general is having trouble adopting to a secret identity-which in college may not make you stand out as much as you think.

Arts a little cartoony, but it works for what there going for. For comic readers a strong buy

The art style isn't something I enjoyed. It works and it sets the tone, but it's very reminescent of Looney Tunes, which isn't a plus for me. Given that, I've been able to stomach the art of the current She Hulk series, so I think I can survive this.

More
14 Jan 2015 19:30 #39853 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
I can see the humor issue-the book does not skimp on the comparisions to Spiderman-

But the book is girl power perhaps at its most basic. Shes a woman who looks very harmless-but You underestimate Squirrel girl(or Prarie Dog Costume Woman) at your own peril. She maybe funny, and a touch obvious to the world-but she will not stop.

Which i supose is kind of like Spiderman as well.

• castor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds