Amount

Article on New Direction for Supergirl Comic

23 Oct 2014 14:16 #38644 by lfan
The following user(s) said Thank You: jnw550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Oct 2014 15:38 #38645 by castor
....Intresting.

In comics with TV Shows there is a long history of either making the comic everything like the show ("Old 50s Superman TV show, the mid 90s when they married him because lois and clark wanted to do it) or completely not (Batman 66' the incredible Hulk), or ocasionally the show like the Comc (There stories of how specifically they could do Robin in Young Justice based on how he was in the comics).

It sound that there going with 'Not' here, which is fair enough. Comics have a much bigger Fictional budget, and i doubt you can do a second supergirl and a magic horse on TV. Actually in general i doubt there going with the idea of Super school. which has never been my favorite comic trope. Especially with someone with the krpytonian powerset to many characters like them tend to water them down a lot.

That said i kind of liked the Original Direction they went with Supergirl in the new 52. I think there is something in the Stranger in a strange land approach to the character, that i think could work in TV as well. If there going away from that in Comics i doubt they are going to to that in TV. But who knows. i am optimistic about the show.

And if the show picks up, who knows maybe the next comic direction will pick up.

More
23 Oct 2014 23:20 #38657 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Article on New Direction for Supergirl Comic
I'm not sure what to make of this.

my gut reaction is that i'm probably not going to like it -- but that there is an outside chance that I might, so I'll reserve judgement until I read it.

I'm not sure why Supergirl would need to go to "super school". OTH, this does dovetail with her early training in the Silver Age (Superman made her go through far more training that he had). I always got the impression that she was better with the 2nd their powers than Superman because she trained extensively in them.

I'll take this story line if it pans out the correct way: since Superman hasn't had much training, and rarely trains against people of his power level (unless we start to see him sparing with Wonder Woman), Kara should come out of this better able to combat foes of her power level than Kal, and she should be able to use her powers better.

And she'll have some actual combat training, as well as training in groups.

Slightly interested to see what happens with Maxima in the DC52. Let's hope that she's handled well.

I just hope we don't still have "angry all the time" Supergirl. I liked the stranger in a strange land concept, just not her attitude.

I doubt the TV show will slot into here, but this will give them 1-2 years before they have to worry about syncing up (if they care about doing that).

More
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds