Amount

New Power Girl Bio

07 Jan 2015 16:39 - 07 Jan 2015 16:46 #39748 by lfan
New Power Girl Bio was created by lfan
Time will tell what will happen to the original Power Girl *, but here is the 4-1-1 on the new PG who is making her rounds in the Titans series right now. Personally, I think as long as they keep Kara as the original, there is always room for another "ubergirl"!

cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/...-14-2015-Page-22.jpg

ElF

* While I think the original PG is still alive in the DC Universe, Their Earth-2 and Future's End books are the most convoluted and confusing pile of donkey shit I've ever read, so I stopped following along TBH. Last I saw/heard, Kara was on Earth-2.....or Apokolips....or Earth-M....or Earth-3.1415......
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 16:46 by fats. Reason: edited link to make it work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jan 2015 17:41 #39751 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic New Power Girl Bio
I love the fact DC seems to be diversifying. I just wish they had called this new character another name. To replace a true heavy hitter like the original Power Girl, with a character that would struggle to beat Batman in an arm wrestle is not a positive step for a fan of super strong women. This is a character I should really enjoy and like, but I'm struggling simply because, for me, the name demands a physically powerful character and judging by the write-up, this character will not be that. Lets hope she gets a significant strength boost so she can live up to the name.

More
07 Jan 2015 18:00 #39753 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Power Girl Bio
They need to get Kara (and huntress) back to the normal DCU. Earth 2 had been ok, but it and the futures end stuff is off the rails.

I just realized I didn't care enough about earth 2 or worlds end to do more than flip thru it. It's realy bad (plus Barda is bad, and no Scott & Barda? Boo.)

I'm not sure how being able to lift 3 tons is "barely able to beat Batman in arm wrestling ". And She did seem more powerful than that I her first appearance. I'm all for ratcheting her power level. I'd rather she had her own name instead of reusing Power Girl.

But in the end more über girls the better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
07 Jan 2015 19:16 #39756 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New Power Girl Bio
I had the same reaction. I was really enjoying PG on Earth 2, and I'd offered the opinion that it was among my favorite interpretations of the character, and then they completely screwed everything up. So I stopped buying the book. Or anything else by DC at the moment.

DC has to managed by idiots. They get a great story and character rendition going and then completely flush it down the tube for no discernible reason, and then substitute a character whose origin makes no sense (powers left as a gift by PG as she left Earth-2... WTF?). Maybe they just HAD to have an African-American female superhero. Who knows. There are innumerable ways they could have done it better.

Shadar (who has just about had it with DC)

lfan wrote: Time will tell what will happen to the original Power Girl *, but here is the 4-1-1 on the new PG who is making her rounds in the Titans series right now. Personally, I think as long as they keep Kara as the original, there is always room for another "ubergirl"!

ElF

* While I think the original PG is still alive in the DC Universe, Their Earth-2 and Future's End books are the most convoluted and confusing pile of donkey shit I've ever read, so I stopped following along TBH. Last I saw/heard, Kara was on Earth-2.....or Apokolips....or Earth-M....or Earth-3.1415......

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Jan 2015 22:32 #39758 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Power Girl Bio

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: They need to get Kara (and huntress) back to the normal DCU. Earth 2 had been ok, but it and the futures end stuff is off the rails.

I just realized I didn't care enough about earth 2 or worlds end to do more than flip thru it. It's realy bad (plus Barda is bad, and no Scott & Barda? Boo.)

I'm not sure how being able to lift 3 tons is "barely able to beat Batman in arm wrestling ". And She did seem more powerful than that I her first appearance. I'm all for ratcheting her power level. I'd rather she had her own name instead of reusing Power Girl.

But in the end more über girls the better.

shadar wrote: I had the same reaction. I was really enjoying PG on Earth 2, and I'd offered the opinion that it was among my favorite interpretations of the character, and then they completely screwed everything up. So I stopped buying the book. Or anything else by DC at the moment.

DC has to managed by idiots. They get a great story and character rendition going and then completely flush it down the tube for no discernible reason, and then substitute a character whose origin makes no sense (powers left as a gift by PG as she left Earth-2... WTF?). Maybe they just HAD to have an African-American female superhero. Who knows. There are innumerable ways they could have done it better.

Shadar (who has just about had it with DC)

lfan wrote: Time will tell what will happen to the original Power Girl *, but here is the 4-1-1 on the new PG who is making her rounds in the Titans series right now. Personally, I think as long as they keep Kara as the original, there is always room for another "ubergirl"!

ElF

Right now I'm still going along with DC, although the number of titles I enjoy is shrinking every month. The whole Earth-2 business is interesting, but I agree that -- until someone collect it in a more organized way -- things are and will remain very confusing.

On the subject of this new Power Girl, I really don't know. For all I can see the character is pretty much a shot in the dark, which makes me think. Power Girl isn't a big name among the DC intellectual properties, as consequence she can be tinkered with much more than others. Even before the New52 the DC had a bit of history of having multiple heroes running around using the same name -- multiple Flash are a given, plus two Green Arrow, two Atom and two Batman for a while -- which never disturbed me that much. What I found very disturbing is how tenous the connection between Karen and this new character are. All the aforementioned cases usually featured some kind of mentor/pupil or family relationship, which made a whole lot of sense. This new character isn't only suddenly introduced (always a minus) but her origin sound half-baked and I've seen nothing that makes me think that slapping the Power Girl name on her would do any good one way or the other.

This has been the theme of the whole New52 so far, for me, and the results have been mixed at best. Like Crisis before the New52 failed to produce a story that was, at the same time, compact, credible and true to the established mythos. Unfortunately, where post-Crisis things were a mess, but they took some time to straight up the basics (and producing some excellent comics in the process), the New52 jusmped straight into action with little regard of what came in its way. Three years in, the general impression is that of a rhino in china shop. Old and new ideas are tossed ina blender without much care or regard, those which produce good -- sometimes excellent -- results are usually thanks to writer who already proved their skills before: like Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner on Harley Quinn or Geoff Jones on Aquaman and Green Lantern.
There is one bit that got me really bad since the beginning and I'm glad twice already tackled it: why they decided to break all the classic couples? Seriously why they did that. While I can get why they did it with Superman, I don't understand this apparent hate with the established relationships, especially the most stable ones, like Scott and Barda, or Barry and Iris. I read an interview two years ago where one of the editor tried to market the idea that breaking up those couple opened new writing possibilities. To be honest I don't buy it, breaking up those elements to insert new characters is a tactic that is often used in fanfic and it's fine there, but it smell when applied to retelling a story within an established canon.

More
07 Jan 2015 22:44 #39759 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic New Power Girl Bio
Management issues aside (and DC has its fair share of them), I like her. It's always nice to have another ubergirl, and her costume is really well designed, if not sexy as we'd all would liked it to be. But that doesn't seem to be the purpose of the character anyways. I've not started the second arc from the TItans yet, but the first arc was really good, better than the narrative mess that was the last book starring them. And Rocafort's art is just another level, I absolutely love him. Hope this turns out to be a solid book.

My list of comics to get each month seems also to be shrinking, but that is not an exclusive DC problem. Marvel also has its fair load of shit, and there are very few books I get outside these two.

Dunno what is happening with management from comic book editors. I mean, Marvel also has a LOT of unused potential on most of their books (Black Widow, Ghost Rider, Elektra and others started amazing, but the story just wouldn't evolve, and they changed the artists on most of them, so the "wow" moment passed and I stopped buying the books). The only Marvel book who has managed to constantly surprise me and keep me smiling while reading lately is Ms. Marvel

More
09 Jan 2015 18:42 #39779 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic New Power Girl Bio
What a stupid stupid idea, in so many levels... :angry:

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
09 Jan 2015 20:13 #39780 by shadar

Woodclaw wrote: There is one bit that got me really bad since the beginning and I'm glad twice already tackled it: why they decided to break all the classic couples? Seriously why they did that. While I can get why they did it with Superman, I don't understand this apparent hate with the established relationships, especially the most stable ones, like Scott and Barda, or Barry and Iris. I read an interview two years ago where one of the editor tried to market the idea that breaking up those couple opened new writing possibilities. To be honest I don't buy it, breaking up those elements to insert new characters is a tactic that is often used in fanfic and it's fine there, but it smell when applied to retelling a story within an established canon.

While Kal El and Diana make sense as a couple in many ways, the relationships and dynamics between Lois Lane and Clark Kent are iconic. I don't understand a world with Superman that doesn't involve his relationship with Lois. Diana's not really into relationships, even now, she's always debating breaking up with Kal. But the obvious attraction would be the sex, which would be literally Earth-shaking.

I would have made it a bit dicier by having Clark in a long-term relationship with Lois, who of course knows he's Superman, but have Diana involved as well. She believes Kal El should have a more suitable mate. Someone his equal. Which is a pretty short list. She thinks he's depriving himself as well as short-changing the Kryptonian race by not having children to continue his legacy.

That opens up a new dynamic between Kal, Lois and Diana. It should also involve Kara for obvious reasons. A very complicated three-some/four-some that tests Kal's integrity against his more basic instincts and desires, not to mention the issue of continuing his race (which Lois could not help with). That could go in all kinds of complicated and adult directions.

After all, many relationships are more complicated these days than fifty years ago, and contemporary morality and concepts of family are more permissive than the 1950's (where his relationships and characters were most strongly established).

Perhaps Kal and Diana have a child (naturally a girl) and Lois and Clark raise her, with Lois bought in albeit with some challenging emotional baggage.

Or Kara fills that role, either alone or in addition to Diana. But somehow, Kal has children, but not with Lois, but they are accepted by Lois as she and Clark stay together. Their bond is love, but Kal has other obligations too.

Anyway, that would be complicated and bold to do well, but it could rotate around Lois and Clark's unusual relationship and their abiding love and respect for each other. Tricky to write, but not incomprehensible in this day and age.

It also would open the door to growing up and coming of age stories involving their full Kryptonian or half Kryptonian/half Amazonian children. I would love to see that.

Shadar

• shadar
More
09 Jan 2015 23:17 #39781 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Power Girl Bio
My First thought:

This looks like a character that you would see in 2012 in a webcomic as done by DC art department.

Which is another way of stating that she looks generic in a kind of trying to capture trends kind of way.

Now comics in general have a tendency to be "lets throw stuff against the wall and sticks". Every couple of years you see New Mutants, or Cosmic entities that give people metal arms for hands, etc-these tend to go away. New 52 was a little bit of this-to kind of mixed results.

Power Girl could be that-Shes supergirl with a different costume whose pretty booby. Thats it-as nexus once said it "behold my incredibly generic set of superpowers". I could have easily seen her appear in 2 issues of a comic in the 70s and disappear.

But shes stuck around-a lot of it was her boobyness-but also has been evoloved. I kind of can get to her who she is almost the anti spiderman-shes superpowerful, Super beautiful, Super successful....but shes never actually happy. It comes across as a palatable aggression-but not like hulk able to do anything about it. Shes Superman if he was having a bad day.

The first descripton of this character is 'She is a genius , who has more moneythen she knows what to do with"-this really isn't a story. Now you could say this is Batman, but batman has a very defined reason to do what he does, a motivation-not seeing that here beyond, hey i am a superhero, lets join a superhero team as Junior Power Girl.

I have read on other places that people are saying "Well shes Kim Kardassian the superhero(and she does look a bit like her)-and that could be something-but i don't think A Dc could really pull that off-The secret KAradassians is that at some level where supose to hate them, which i don't think a mainstream comic could really quite get. Otherwise...well this seems just kinda generic.

Everything about this character suggests-"Shes not going to last very long".

More
09 Jan 2015 23:49 #39782 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic New Power Girl Bio
It seems to be another decision by a committee. It seems like they had a chart like this:

- We need a heroine to appeal teen girls
- She has to be famous and rich, because that's what every teen girl wants to be
- She needs to have a ex-Disney pop star name
- The boss asked for more black heroes

Since it is easier to kill than create, and no one ever had respect for the Power Girl character, especially women (which most probably are handling this), the 'let's kill the boob window queen' order was issued.

Tanya Spears... I can see the mom who chose this name, thinking 'my 12 yo daughter will luv it'.

Now we need a Mexican She-Hulk.

and a gay Batman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
10 Jan 2015 18:24 #39786 by MackTheMouse2
Replied by MackTheMouse2 on topic New Power Girl Bio
Actually, we DO need a gay batman. More gay heroes overall, but especially a big name mainstream one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

More
10 Jan 2015 19:10 #39787 by shadar

MackTheMouse2 wrote: Actually, we DO need a gay batman. More gay heroes overall, but especially a big name mainstream one.

Superman would be the easiest to pull that off with. He's an alien (I mean, who knows how things bend on Krypton?) and he's always been less sexually assertive than you'd expect of a super man. He's over-muscled and ridiculously strong, but his gentle, sensitive behavior is the antithesis of the testosterone-saturated NFL players who use their sexuality as a club. Literally and figuratively.

Maybe someone who knew what they were writing about could produce a good story out of that.
Years ago I read a fan-fic slash story along those lines that was funny as hell.

But it's the usual rule of thirds when it comes to Western cultural changes. One third of population could handle this now. The middle third is going to take some time to adjust. And the last third are running the other way as fast as possible.

Probably not time yet. We seem to be the usual male-dominated mostly hetero interest group. We mostly find f/f titivating, and obviously we're fine with m/f, even at a graphic level, but m/m is still an uncomfortable topic. Especially if the story had an erotic component. But my mind is as open as I can pry it. It's just that my "gut check" sometimes gets in the way.

Shadar

• shadar
More
10 Jan 2015 23:47 #39790 by erikphandel
They've done these kind of changes in less mainstream heroes, such as Green Lantern from Earth 2. It's kinda hard to change the sexuality of a well stabilished and known superhero like Superman. And in his case especially is even harder, because of his iconic romance with Lois Lane (I know it's not happening ATM but we all know it's going to happen at some point)

More
11 Jan 2015 00:57 #39791 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic New Power Girl Bio

MackTheMouse2 wrote: Actually, we DO need a gay batman. More gay heroes overall, but especially a big name mainstream one.

No...we don't need a gay Batman. He's the last hero that "needs" to be gay.

I see Wonder Woman being gay, it makes sense being raised on an island of only women. I even see any of the Kryptonian heroes being gay as they are alien, but Batman needs to remain a straight man.

More
11 Jan 2015 01:16 #39792 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic New Power Girl Bio

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I need to answer this;

The greatest misconception about gays is to separate gays from not-gays. I mean, it has been 60 years that the Kinsey scale demonstrated that most of us are not purely heterosexual, and that most homosexuals aren't purely homosexuals.

People shouldn't be put into categories, like dividing black from white people. It is not even an universal problem, it is an American one. Living in brazil this notion of blacks and whites makes less sense since everyone here is more or less mixed.

When people change the character to 'gay' I can only see prejudice. By the Kinsey report half of all people had at least one gay moment. A moment is enough to define a whole character? Do batman needs to not like women to become a gay character? See, there is whole lot of problems when you establish that being gay, or being black, or being mexican is a fundamental element in a character. It shoudn't. Nothing of these should define character.

This SNL sketch explains my point better than me:

More
11 Jan 2015 06:08 #39794 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New Power Girl Bio
And for those that actually are interested in the PG, she next makes her appearance in Teen Titans #6 due out on Jan 21st...

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Jan 2015 18:36 - 11 Jan 2015 23:25 #39802 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Power Girl Bio
How has Teen Titans been? I never cared about it post-52.

For one, it felt like putting Wonder Girl into needing a suit for powers was like a downgrade that didn't need to happen. I liked the daughter of a god thing, though I guess since Wonder Woman is Zeus' daughter, they had to change that (though now it seems Cassie is the daughter of one of Diana's half-brothers?) Never really got the change two WW either -- before she was blessed by MANY gods, now she's just a run of the mill demi-god. I guess that "she's a clay golem" is hard to sell these days?

Anyway, I guess I have to look at the Power Girl issues -- I'd just tossed Teen Titans onto the "not interested enough to find out". And I buy A LOT of comics, and normally Wonder Girl would make the title a lock (IIRC it was art/story/misc that made me put it down and forget about it). I guess it fell to my occasional ruthless, "I need to drop a few titles". I then usually buy more independent comics.

My comics pitch: take a look at Lazarus. The star may not be invulnerable or fly, but she's a BIG, pretty, nicely muscled bad-ass of a woman set in a dystopian future where corporations have taken over. Fun comic. well written.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2015 23:25 by TwiceOnThursdays.

More
11 Jan 2015 20:59 #39807 by erikphandel
The first few arcs from the previous Teen Titans were really good, then the narrative got messy and boring, despite a great idea behind the story. Then they relaunched the book with a new creative team, and the first arc was good (not great, but certainly interesting. You just have to love Beast Boy and Bunker together). Kenneth Rocafort's art is simply amazing in my opinion

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds