Amount

Supergirl Cancelled?!?!

06 Feb 2015 16:11 - 06 Feb 2015 16:13 #40260 by lfan
Supergirl Cancelled?!?! was created by lfan
...the comic, that is. With the completion of the "Future End" saga (thank, Christ), DC looks like they are retrenching with a series of new titles and, inevitably, some cancellations:

www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/02/06/new-boo...for-the-DC-Universe-

Unfortunately for us, Supergirl was on the chopping block and got hacked off! I strongly think, however, with the CBS show coming in the next year, they are rebooting it or will relaunch it to coincide with the premiere. Still surprising with the momentum and traction that the show is getting of late that they'd cancel the book and not try to ride the wave of media atttention (yet another "SMH business decision" by the DC heads)

All in all, I think that it might be good. For me, I hated the latest Supergirl book and the direction and some of the storylines they gave her (e.g. Red Lantern, Crucible School).

ElF
Last edit: 06 Feb 2015 16:13 by lfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Feb 2015 16:53 #40264 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
The good news is, if i'm reading the article correctly, Harley Quinn/Power Girl are getting a title. I really enjoyed the short story arc they had together in Harley Quinns own book, and Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti are involved. Will definitely be picking this up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
06 Feb 2015 17:42 #40267 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!

lfan wrote: ...the comic, that is. With the completion of the "Future End" saga (thank, Christ), DC looks like they are retrenching with a series of new titles and, inevitably, some cancellations:

Unfortunately for us, Supergirl was on the chopping block and got hacked off! I strongly think, however, with the CBS show coming in the next year, they are rebooting it or will relaunch it to coincide with the premiere. Still surprising with the momentum and traction that the show is getting of late that they'd cancel the book and not try to ride the wave of media atttention (yet another "SMH business decision" by the DC heads)

All in all, I think that it might be good. For me, I hated the latest Supergirl book and the direction and some of the storylines they gave her (e.g. Red Lantern, Crucible School).

ElF

I'll be honest, I'm very tried to say "good riddance". Of three years or so worth of publishing I enjoyed about 4-5 issues of this new Supergirl -- to be exact the George Perez's issues with Silver Banshee. Now I've enjoyed many of the past variations on the Supergirl theme -- I'm not afraid of saying that I even like the New Earth Linda Danvers version (albeit the whole angel thing was over the top) -- but this last one has been a big "no" in my book. It was like the writers didn't know what to do with her and each one was pushing on a different button, trying to more her in a different direction.
I really don't think they could give Kara a worst threatment.
Now, I'm scared that they seem to be doing the same to Wonder Woman.

The good news is, if i'm reading the article correctly, Harley Quinn/Power Girl are getting a title. I really enjoyed the short story arc they had together in Harley Quinns own book, and Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti are involved. Will definitely be picking this up.

I'm a sucker for the Palmiotti/Conner team and the recent PG/Harley run on Harley Quinn was hilarious so, if this happens, is a no-brainer for me. Although I also read that they might gave Starfire a shot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
06 Feb 2015 18:24 #40271 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!

Woodclaw wrote:

lfan wrote: ...the comic, that is. With the completion of the "Future End" saga (thank, Christ), DC looks like they are retrenching with a series of new titles and, inevitably, some cancellations:

ElF

I'll be honest, I'm very tried to say "good riddance". Of three years or so worth of publishing I enjoyed about 4-5 issues of this new Supergirl -- to be exact the George Perez's issues with Silver Banshee. Now I've enjoyed many of the past variations on the Supergirl theme -- I'm not afraid of saying that I even like the New Earth Linda Danvers version (albeit the whole angel thing was over the top) -- but this last one has been a big "no" in my book. It was like the writers didn't know what to do with her and each one was pushing on a different button, trying to more her in a different direction.
I really don't think they could give Kara a worst threatment.
Now, I'm scared that they seem to be doing the same to Wonder Woman.

I'm a sucker for the Palmiotti/Conner team and the recent PG/Harley run on Harley Quinn was hilarious so, if this happens, is a no-brainer for me. Although I also read that they might gave Starfire a shot.

I had hopes that the current change up in Supergirl would result in some fun stories. So far they've been better than most that came before it, but this doesn't say much. But they also changed directions a few times really fast -- jump right into Red Lantern, came back and did some setup, potential new boyfriend, etc. This lasts for two issues and bam! new direction, out in space getting properly trained.

If you can't figure out at least a six month arc ahead for a character, you probably should cancel the comic, go back to the table, and figure something out.

I have hopes for the harly/PG comic. But "which power girl" and I don't even mean the new one vs. the old one, I mean which Power Girl: The Earth-2 one who is just a slightly older different dimension Supergirl? Or the more buff, she's her own woman and isn't a dimensional clone of Supergirl one that showed up in Harley Quinn? And, I hope that stupid "S" goes away. (Though it makes sense for the this PG to wear one, it's "just not right")

With Connor/Palmiotti involved, I suspect she'll be more like she was in Harley Quinn (and Connor's PG run). This is a good thing. And the previous comics were a riot, so if they can continue along like that, it'll be super-fun.

I also see Starfire by Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner with art by Emanuela Lupacchino. That should be more than a little awesome too. I've totally ignored Starfire in the new DCU, hopefully they'll clean the story up a bit and make it fun. Honestly, the new DC52 looks like it was put together by amateurs who didn't know any DC history (and no knowledge of DC characters in other media either). And I know this wasn't the case -- it just seems that way.

And yeah, I agree. For the first time in a long time, I might have to stop buying Wonder Woman. It just can't manage to get anything right, and worse, it doesn't maintain any consistency. Even the art has Diana looking like a sixteen year old in one panel, and an actual adult later. And then she holds a Teddy Bear and pouts.

OTH, Sensation has been much better overall. I'm waiting for a WW/Lois Lane story with art by Chris Sprouse (saw the pages at a convention, and they're yummy).

More
06 Feb 2015 18:29 #40273 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
I whish they give her a rework like the one they gave to Batgirl in July. Maybe not as "Manhattan hipster cool chick" like Babs's, but maybe make her less self-obssessed and angry and depressed all the time, and give her a lighter costume, and some younger writers and artists to work with her.

Am I the only one here who liked the Red Lantern arc on her book? Although that was pratically the only thing I liked on that.

More
06 Feb 2015 19:33 #40275 by TwiceOnThursdays

erikphandel wrote: I whish they give her a rework like the one they gave to Batgirl in July. Maybe not as "Manhattan hipster cool chick" like Babs's, but maybe make her less self-obssessed and angry and depressed all the time, and give her a lighter costume, and some younger writers and artists to work with her.

Am I the only one here who liked the Red Lantern arc on her book? Although that was pratically the only thing I liked on that.

I do seem to remember a few people who didn't care for the red lantern storyline. I am one of them.

I did like at the end she was less angry.

More
06 Feb 2015 20:11 #40277 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

erikphandel wrote: I whish they give her a rework like the one they gave to Batgirl in July. Maybe not as "Manhattan hipster cool chick" like Babs's, but maybe make her less self-obssessed and angry and depressed all the time, and give her a lighter costume, and some younger writers and artists to work with her.

I do seem to remember a few people who didn't care for the red lantern storyline. I am one of them.

I did like at the end she was less angry.

I suspect your going to get your wish-more or less. This maybe a case of "Well we get the TV Show what ever the Tv show is like...." which often happens in comics. -its in the middle of the pack. The probabbly looked at the series as it is and the script for the shows and....went huh. How do we get from here? lets start over.

Supergirl seems to be struggling with an identity despite the fact that it doesn't sell particularly bad for A DC book. You kind of wished they picked one and stuck with it.A couple of weeks ago i(i am sorry i forget who) mentioned that the new show, sounded an awful lot like Superman in a skirt-same basic plotline she works in news, has a crush etc etc. This isn't the case in comics...but they don't have a great anwser for what she is either.

But your right-give her an apartment, maybe build up over a cast and a rouge gallery...and even if its not instantly sucesful-maybe just let it go for a couple of years. Cause even if the show is canceled the comic is popular enough to keep going afterwards.

Castor

Ps and i guess good on the powergirl front , but i kind of wish they gave her own book. Power Girl run by Amanda Conners was the last comic run i can uniequivally recomend, and i kind of wish they just didn't feel the need to pair her with someone else. Her as a angry broad in new york is pretty fun.

More
07 Feb 2015 00:55 #40282 by TwiceOnThursdays
yeah that was me poindering that the Supergirl pilot seemed similar to old type Clark Kent (where he's a new reporter and Lois is the vetern).

also, here is an article with some art from the new Starfire. I have to say I'm very interested, and hope the comic is good. (you have to click on the image links at the top to see the starfire art)

www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/02/06/dc-ente...r-the-dc-universe#27

More
24 Aug 2015 20:57 - 24 Aug 2015 21:02 #43864 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
I've recently started reading Supergirl v6 and I've never read any other Supergirl comic (thus I won't judge plot and characters), but I can say I'm very unimpressed with the artworks.
Actually, I think that Mahmud Asrar is an artist so inadequate for such an important comic (we're talking about Supergirl, not a new indie hippie heroine) that it shows how DC didn't believe in the project. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

This is how Supergirl looks in Superman #14 as drawn by Kenneth Rocafort. She's simply amazing. She looks sexy, powerful (despite the narrow shoulders) and very sophisticated. Her face alone is breathtaking, and I'm not saying that just because she's hot, I'm talking about the drawing quality. Rocafort is clearly a very talented artist (and the coloring is amazing too).

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

And this is how she looks like in her own comic, as drawn by Mahmud Asrar.
Can I kill myself? I think I wanna kill myself.

How the hell am I supposed to buy her comic instead of Superman's, even though I want to read her story!

But you know what's worse? Guest artists featured in a few issues of Supergirl made a much better job.

This is Supergirl in Supergirl #13 as drawn by guest artist Sami Basri

And this is her in Supergirl #08 as drawn by guest artists George Perez (penciller) and Bob Wiacek (inker).

Although my favorite version is Rocafort's, I would be very happy to have the whole series drawn by Basri or Perez/Wiacek.
Asrar's style greatly undermines this comic in my opinion.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2015 21:02 by j2001.

More
24 Aug 2015 21:12 #43866 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
Of course, if you are looking at quality Supergirl artwork in a comic, then you have to go back a lot further. Back when there was both a sexier vibe and very good portrayal of facial expressions and emotion.

Here are two panes from that period to illustrate what I mean:

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: j2001

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 Aug 2015 21:20 - 24 Aug 2015 21:21 #43867 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
Supergirl is probably getting a new comic to boost the TV show's audience (and I'd bet a visual rework akin to Batgirl's). It would be a dream to have Rocafort drawing it, he's amazing, but he usually only does 4 to 6 issues on the comics he draws, and I don't want that. I hate it when comic books change artists from arc to arc, makes the whole thing feel fragmented, not part of a whole story (unless that's the point). Personally I would love to see Joshua Middleton comig back to draw her, I love how he captures the sheer joy Kara feels in being Supergirl. Too bad he only did covers

And maybe Babs Tarr from Batgirl but that is a hell of a long shot. Dunno who I want writing it though. My dream option would be G. Willow Wilson, from Ms. Marvel. If you're looking for good Supergirl comics, read the Matrix Supergirl era. Bit convoluted, but very good. Also really good artwork

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 24 Aug 2015 21:21 by erikphandel.

More
02 Sep 2015 19:27 - 02 Sep 2015 19:27 #44026 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
I'm currently reading issue #28 and I have to admit I'm really liking it.
Once Asrar got out of the way (right before the Cyborg Superman arc) the artwork improved dramatically, and to my opinion so did the story.
I liked the CS arc mainly because Kara properly shows off for the first time (see first picture below), but then I totally loved the Krypton Returns arc. Great story, great characters and great drawings (Rocafort's).
I'm now reading the Red Lantern Corps arc and it's the ultimate bliss for powerful superheroine fans! Kara revels in showing off her own immense power and she friggin spits fire from her mouth!
I'm no comic expert (just about the opposite) but I'm really enjoying this series :)

Last edit: 02 Sep 2015 19:27 by j2001.

More
03 Sep 2015 02:46 #44031 by TwiceOnThursdays
It's good that someone enjoyed the Red Lantern bit.

To me Supergirl shouldn't have a "heart of rage" and hence, shouldn't be a Red Lantern. They did use it as a plot device to make her less angry so it was a good end. i checked out of the comic during this phase. After this she seemed more like Supergirl to me and I came back.

I guess I'm also slightly annoyed at the Rainbow Lanterns, seems like a great idea, but in practice I don't think it wears well. But it's quite possible I'm being a curmudgeon on both counts. As obviously personal opinion varies! I do like how you're just enjoying these things -- it's how I normally read things. I don't like getting all upset with story lines, I'd rather just enjoy them. (Movies, books, comics, etc.) I think if the issues BEFORE this (not just the short arc before) had of been better, I'd probably not have been bothered so much by the Red Lantern thing. I was already exhausted with the title, and this just felt like a bad gimmick.

I'm usually pretty easy going about such things, I just stop buying the comic. I don't think anyone who likes it is wrong (etc), I just didn't like it, just like I don't like the Finch's Wonder Woman -- though I hold out hopes for them to bring the story around to make it worth what they're doing. So I might read a collection of the first arc or two. (I guess I have most of the first arc.)

So I mean it when I find your enthusiasm for it refreshing.

More
03 Sep 2015 03:25 #44033 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!
The Rainbow Lantern stuff was a neat idea, and i kind of like some of the stuff they did with the Red Lanterns as they tried to transition them into something resembling heros...

but yeah. There was an expression i once heard that described Ghost rider "Hes a very cool idea, but hes not good walking around"

More
03 Sep 2015 05:27 - 03 Sep 2015 05:29 #44035 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Cancelled?!?!

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: It's good that someone enjoyed the Red Lantern bit.

To me Supergirl shouldn't have a "heart of rage" and hence, shouldn't be a Red Lantern. They did use it as a plot device to make her less angry so it was a good end. i checked out of the comic during this phase. After this she seemed more like Supergirl to me and I came back.

I guess I'm also slightly annoyed at the Rainbow Lanterns, seems like a great idea, but in practice I don't think it wears well. But it's quite possible I'm being a curmudgeon on both counts. As obviously personal opinion varies! I do like how you're just enjoying these things -- it's how I normally read things. I don't like getting all upset with story lines, I'd rather just enjoy them. (Movies, books, comics, etc.) I think if the issues BEFORE this (not just the short arc before) had of been better, I'd probably not have been bothered so much by the Red Lantern thing. I was already exhausted with the title, and this just felt like a bad gimmick.

I'm usually pretty easy going about such things, I just stop buying the comic. I don't think anyone who likes it is wrong (etc), I just didn't like it, just like I don't like the Finch's Wonder Woman -- though I hold out hopes for them to bring the story around to make it worth what they're doing. So I might read a collection of the first arc or two. (I guess I have most of the first arc.)

So I mean it when I find your enthusiasm for it refreshing.

I quit reading when the Red Lantern thing started. Put me in the "didn't work for me" camp too. But if that's all over, I'll check the title out again.

But I have read comments from others who also liked the Lantern stuff. My problem is that I'm too much a fan of biological enhancements or alien genetics generating superpowers, not a ring. Genetics not magic, even if the genetics are off the map. Better, in fact, if it is.
Shadar
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 05:29 by shadar.

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds