Amount

Here she comes...Miss America!

21 May 2015 22:32 #42244 by lfan
Here she comes...Miss America! was created by lfan
America Chavez, the superpowered hothead from A-Force #1 is getting her own book:

www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/19/miss-ame...-get-her-own-series/

Woo-hoo!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: KarkClent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 May 2015 23:28 #42245 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

lfan wrote: America Chavez, the superpowered hothead from A-Force #1 is getting her own book:

Woo-hoo!

ElF

Cool beans. I liked her.

- GeekSeven

More
21 May 2015 23:32 #42246 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

geekseven wrote:

lfan wrote: America Chavez, the superpowered hothead from A-Force #1 is getting her own book:

Woo-hoo!

ElF

Cool beans. I liked her.

I only remember bits of her from "Loki, Agent of Asgard" and "Young Avengers" but I really don't find her that appealing. She felt like a very one-note character, very cocksure and tough-talking, but very shallow otherwise.

More
21 May 2015 23:44 - 22 May 2015 05:34 #42247 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

Woodclaw wrote:

geekseven wrote:

Woo-hoo!

ElF

Cool beans. I liked her.

I only remember bits of her from "Loki, Agent of Asgard" and "Young Avengers" but I really don't find her that appealing. She felt like a very one-note character, very cocksure and tough-talking, but very shallow otherwise.

I like her, as she is a complete 180 in temperament to the old Miss America (formerly of the Invaders) as well as a hat trick "minority" character (a Hispanic, gay woman). While she's pretty much a stereotyped hot headed brick, she is extremely loyal and protective of her friends, as evidenced in A-Force and Young Avengers.

I probably like her cause she's about as close to Powergirl as there is in the Marvel Universe in terms of power set and personality.

ElF
Last edit: 22 May 2015 05:34 by lfan.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 May 2015 04:33 #42251 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

lfan wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

geekseven wrote:

Woo-hoo!

ElF

Cool beans. I liked her.

I like her, as she is a complete 180 in temperament to the old Miss America (formerly of e Defenders) as well as a hat trick "minority" character (a Hispanic, gay woman). While she's pretty much a stereotyped hot headed brick, she is extremely loyal and protective of her friends, as evidenced in A-Force and Young Avengers.

I probably like her cause she's about as close to Powergirl as there is in the Marvel Universe in terms of power set and personality.

ElF

I have to say, I liked her too. Anyone who gives Loki shit can't be all that bad.

She might need a bit of definition to her character, but that's a good thing to tackle in a series.

More
22 May 2015 05:27 #42252 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Here she comes...Miss America!
This goes to one of the classic issues of comicbooks:

TeamBooks, you have 5 10 characters and all of them tend to be types-Strong silent one, The Sassy one etc theres a dozen diffrent characters and each of them gets one main personality trait. Most character devolopment if it happens is either about reinforcing that, or ocasionally saying "Well when there alone"

A single Book-well you can focus more on one of them, there lives there relationships etc-that can be a lot more devoloped. Shes one of those characters who may be intresting in a single books.

I will kind of say i hope its not i am a proud Gay Female Hispanic, and everyone i hang out with is proud that i am proud gay female hispanic except this one guy.

More
22 May 2015 06:08 #42253 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I have to say, I liked her too. Anyone who gives Loki shit can't be all that bad.

She might need a bit of definition to her character, but that's a good thing to tackle in a series.

I am simply watching. Her "progressive" attributes score exactly ZERO points with me - they neither add to nor subtract from the character. Now the question is can they put up another flying brick stronger than Captain Marvel apparently and not bore my ass off? She's earned a shot, but definitely has not earned a free pass.

Honestly I'd be ten times more impressed with those talking points if she were a villain. Because how dare bad guys be anything other than 1-dimensional. Marvel is pretty much always sucking fumes when it comes to a broad stable of credible villains. Probably since the moment any of them get traction with the readership they do a face-turn... (Heroic Eddie Brock/Symbiote...WTF?)

More
22 May 2015 09:30 #42255 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

Castor wrote: I will kind of say i hope its not i am a proud Gay Female Hispanic, and everyone i hang out with is proud that i am proud gay female hispanic except this one guy.

This sums up some of my concerns, Marvel has a history of creating and shoving down their readers' throats new characters that are nothing but an attemtp of being extra-progressive without any meat to them, a pretty egregious example is Monica Rambeau, who pretty much was dumped on the scene of Avengers in the '80s. The bad thing is that many of these characters don't get much characterization after their initial push and some tend to devolve in joke versions of themselves.

AuGoose wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I have to say, I liked her too. Anyone who gives Loki shit can't be all that bad.

I am simply watching. Her "progressive" attributes score exactly ZERO points with me - they neither add to nor subtract from the character. Now the question is can they put up another flying brick stronger than Captain Marvel apparently and not bore my ass off? She's earned a shot, but definitely has not earned a free pass.

Honestly I'd be ten times more impressed with those talking points if she were a villain. Because how dare bad guys be anything other than 1-dimensional. Marvel is pretty much always sucking fumes when it comes to a broad stable of credible villains. Probably since the moment any of them get traction with the readership they do a face-turn... (Heroic Eddie Brock/Symbiote...WTF?)

The villain part of the equation is true for more or less every comic publisher in my book. Not because it's harder to write villains, but rather because it's hard to do that without making them sympathetic. One of the thing I remember most fondly of Mark Gruenwald's tenure on "Captain America" was the fact that he was able to consistently write very nice parallel stories, showcasing both Cap and the Red Skull's crew in the book without making it feel forced and without screwing up the villain's characterization.

More
22 May 2015 14:59 #42274 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Here she comes...Miss America!

Woodclaw wrote:

Castor wrote: I will kind of say i hope its not i am a proud Gay Female Hispanic, and everyone i hang out with is proud that i am proud gay female hispanic except this one guy.

This sums up some of my concerns, Marvel has a history of creating and shoving down their readers' throats new characters that are nothing but an attemtp of being extra-progressive without any meat to them, a pretty egregious example is Monica Rambeau, who pretty much was dumped on the scene of Avengers in the '80s. The bad thing is that many of these characters don't get much characterization after their initial push and some tend to devolve in joke versions of themselves.

erization.

I donno. i am thinking of The New Ms. Marvel which on the face of it is a similar character-female Muslim superhero, however they have gotten a lot out of her not so much from that, but from if nothing else she is not very experienced at the job and is more then a touch naive-it kinda works, becuse she if nothing else beliives inherself. The Actual thing last year we where talking about her as a token character is there, but its not that big a part of the story. Yeah you could argue that its a lot of Early Spiderman jokes but it works.

I am also thinking of Silk who is also latina, but they have also find intresting things to do with if nothing else shes a bit more scusefull version of Spiderman. Its fun and i do enjoy the idea of "I am a a woman in my early 20s with a shit job..but i actually kinda like it" that works for it.

Which is a way of saying, i think it could work. It could work pretty well. But they need to find another hook here.

More
22 May 2015 15:33 #42276 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Here she comes...Miss America!
The character definitely has potential. In the hands of the right writer, she could be great. However, the only time I read the character was in Young Avengers and she wasn't very memorable in that.

More
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds