Amount

Bombshells

19 Aug 2015 11:21 #43716 by Markiehoe
Bombshells was created by Markiehoe
It's no secret that I am a big fan of Wonder Woman's Bombshell incarnation.
I bought the variant cover last year, a glass tumbler with her image and several window stickers and other knick knacks.
I picked up the Bombshells book the other day. Bombshell WW is only featured on the cover.
The story was just OK.
The timeline is a little different than actual history.
The art was flat with only a couple of panels standing out.
I liked Batwoman's re imaging somewhat.
The thing I disliked most was that Supergirl was a commie and Batwoman was a commie sympathizer.

Price point: For $4.00 this book is pretty light.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Aug 2015 22:43 #43729 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Bombshells
A commie Supergirl? Yeah, umm, no thanks. Even though it sounds like she'll be bad which is good (in my view) but not in the right way.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 Aug 2015 23:27 - 19 Aug 2015 23:35 #43730 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Bombshells
I haven't read it yet, but it is world war 2, right? The Commies kind of were on our side then, right? So....shed still be a good guy...though her boss is a bit of a worry.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 23:35 by Dru1076.

More
20 Aug 2015 00:02 - 20 Aug 2015 00:02 #43731 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Bombshells
Few things:

The individual digital issues are 99c and there are 3 per print edition. Small price break for digital.

The Soviets were indeed on our side in WW2, and SG is clearly on the outs with Stalin's lot. She won't be a baddie, I'm sure.

People fought against the fascists in Spain for a lot of different reasons. Just because Batwoman fought on the Republican side, doesn't make her a "commie."

- GeekSeven
Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 00:02 by inactive.

More
20 Aug 2015 00:11 #43732 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Bombshells
I don't do digital comics, I prefer a hard copy.
I did mention that the timeline was a little off.
At the start of the war The USSR and the Nazis were allies.
The Americans that fought for the Spanish Republicans in the Spanish Civil war were communists secretly financed by the USSR.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Aug 2015 04:15 #43741 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Bombshells

Markiehoe wrote: I don't do digital comics, I prefer a hard copy.
I did mention that the timeline was a little off.
At the start of the war The USSR and the Nazis were allies.
The Americans that fought for the Spanish Republicans in the Spanish Civil war were communists secretly financed by the USSR.

What is the time-frame of the comic series? I ask because the German-Russian non-aggression pact ended in June 1941 when the Nazis invaded Russia. (A very effective way to end an non-aggression pact). That was six months BEFORE the USA declared war on the Nazis. So if this storyline involves the USA at war, then the Russian communists were our allies, fighting the Fascists.

On your other note, one of the really fun aspects of the Spanish Civil war was that the Soviet Union, France and Mexico were principally supporting the Republicans.

The Fascists (Nationalists) were supported by American businesses and of course the Nazis. The Spanish government Foreign Minister at the time said: "without American petroleum and American trucks, and American credit, we could never have won the Civil War."

So, up until 1939, large American businesses (with permission from the US government) were supplying trucks and petroleum and many other non-military goods to the Fascists, who got their weapons and some direct military support from Nazi Germany and Italy. The Irish and Portuguese were all in on the Nationalist side. American volunteers fought on both sides, and did Brits.

There's gotta be room to fit some interesting comic book stories in the Blondshell series, with very confusing and shifting alliances to make it fun. This was such a dramatic time in history, 1936-1939, when alliances were shifting rapidly. WWII had been underway in Europe for about three years by 1941, and the US public (through their representatives) would not allow the country to enter. We might have stayed out of it all together (like Sweden and Switzerland) if not for a bit of stupidity on Japan's part.

• shadar
More
20 Aug 2015 04:42 #43742 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Bombshells
As a history buff, I could talk world war 2 for far longer than any sane person could maintain interest. The ins and outs of it all are fascinating. So many mistakes on all sides. For example, if Hitler had realised the Soviets would throw their women into the front line he probably wouldn't have gone for it considering the figures just counting Russian men put Germany at a numerical disadvantage as it was. No other country used women as combat troops in those days, and they proved extremely fierce fighters.

If Japan had not bombed Pearl Harbour, I still think America would have been involved before long. Even if Hitler had somehow beaten the Russians he was never going to stop, and he did have plans for the U.S. for later on, and I have no doubt the US government knew this was likely the case.

But lets face it... Just one character from almost any story in the library here could have ended the war in less than a day, and that's a tale I would enjoy far more than Churchill's history of world war 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

More
20 Aug 2015 10:42 - 20 Aug 2015 11:15 #43745 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Bombshells
It is clearly stated three times that the events in Bombshells #1 take place in 1940.
That is at least one and a half years before the United States entered the war and almost a full year before Germany and the USSR started fighting each other.
Steve Trevor is seen leading a squadron of P51Ds against the Nazi's over Greece in 1940.
That is a full year before the US entry.
The P51D with it's teardrop canopy was not even introduced until mid 1944.

I am a history buff also and the events before, during and after the war are so interesting and complicated I see no need to fiddle with them.

Batwoman either fought on the side of the Communists with the Republicans or the Faschists with the Nationalists
She knows how to pick her friends well.

When the United States entered the war after Pearl Harbor the U.S. declared war on Japan and Japan only.
The Nazi's, in alliance with Japan declared war on the U.S.
The USSR, who the US had been supplying for over a year by this time formed a military alliance with the US.
The US asked the USSR to declare war on Japan.
Our Allies, the USSR said no.

I wrote a story for FemForce called "No Substitute for Victory" set in the time of the Belin Airlift.
Check out how I wrapped up the crazy time after the war.
Especially read panel two.

That's right, if an American aircrew had to land in any Soviet controlled area they were arrested and in put in a concentration camp.
Our Allies were a great bunch of guys and gals.
It was not until after the Yalta meeting when the Soviets learned of the Atomic Bomb that they openly started to operate against the Japanese.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 20 Aug 2015 11:15 by Markiehoe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Aug 2015 13:13 #43748 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Bombshells
I think that the problem here is that the writers of bombshells are taking quite a few liberties with history. At the beginning of the Supergirl story it was stated that she's flying with the 588th Night Bomber Regiment "Night Witches", which was formed between the edn of 1941 and the beginning of 1942, and disbanded in 1945. Hence we have to assume that the stories aren't told in a strict chronology (always a possibility) or the authors are simply taking a very broad frame of reference and working with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds