Amount

Gotham Girl

16 Jun 2016 04:33 #48591 by argonaut
Gotham Girl was created by argonaut
In Batman #1 (the first post-Rebirth issue), Batman is trying to guide a disabled passenger plane into Gotham Harbor when a pair of costumed characters swoop in and save the day. They introduce themselves as "Gotham" and "Gotham Girl," and they appear to have super-strength and the power of flight.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Jun 2016 05:22 #48593 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic Gotham Girl
"Wait, why do you get to be called 'Gotham', and I am 'Gotham Girl'"?

"Well, I, uhhhh, what's wrong with 'Gotham Girl'?"

How about this: I am 'Gotham', and you are 'Gotham Guy'??"

"Oh come on, that just sounds so sill--"

"ARRRGGGGHHH!!!"

** FURIOUS FEMALE FISTS FLY **

More
16 Jun 2016 15:33 - 16 Jun 2016 15:44 #48596 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Gotham Girl
The dialog does an incredible job of conveying (possibly evil) pompous douchebag.

"Please allow me to introduce myself.." -- if there are any better words a character could say that mean "I am the devil", but don't actually say that I can't think of any. I guess he could allude to be rich and having great class and distinction.

He follows it up with calling her "Gotham Girl" and speaking for her. Also he says "please allow ME to introduce MYSELF" not "please allow us/me to introduce ourselves...". Then tells the legendary Batman "This is OUR city, we are here to save it." He doesn't even use contractions when speaking, it's "we are" not "we're"!

I sure hope that King meant all that subtext, because if so it's brilliant writing conveying a lot about the character in a very short space.

I can't wait to find out more about Gotham Girl.

I also have to say Finch's artwork annoyed me in Wonder Woman, but I really liked it in this issue (I need to go back over it), but I'm not yet done reading my comics from yesterday.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2016 15:44 by TwiceOnThursdays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
16 Jun 2016 17:59 #48599 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Gotham Girl
Finch is a amazing artist, but I feel like he doesn't work well in a monthly comic setting. I like his WW covers A LOT more than his interiors. He needs time to do his work, or else it ends up really subpar. My guess is that the art will deteriorate as time goes on with this series, unless they give him more time to draw like they did with Capullo

More
16 Jun 2016 18:15 #48602 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Gotham Girl

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: The dialog does an incredible job of conveying ... pompous douchebag.

In fact, he sounds exactly like Batman.

And notice how he's drawn -- alpha-male pose, fists clenched (although there's no menace), upstaging his partner, and hovering (unnecessarily) several feet in the air, forcing Batman to look up at him.

Gotham Girl has a definite "retro" vibe -- the miniskirt, the costume and sobriquet that echoes her male partner's.

An intriguing "hook." I'm curious to see how this story develops.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds