Amount

Bad Girls

06 Apr 2017 03:09 - 06 Apr 2017 03:10 #53543 by argonaut
Bad Girls was created by argonaut
The "Generation Zero" thread got me thinking about this comic. I don't think it's ever been mentioned on the forum, even though it falls squarely in our wheelhouse. It's a five-issue mini-series published by DC in 2003 (though it's not set in the DCU). It's about a high-school kid who stumbles on a super-power formula which, as luck would have it, only works on girls. Some of the school's "queen bees" unknowingly take a swig and things take off from there. Think "Baker's Dozen" meets "Mean Girls," and you'll have some idea of the book's flavor. SWManiacs should definitely check it out!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 06 Apr 2017 03:10 by argonaut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, gotham_knight, Agent00Soul, Slim0926, erikphandel, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Apr 2017 06:01 - 06 Apr 2017 06:06 #53544 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Bad Girls
The second cover looks pretty good with the 'Plain Jane superbrain' blonde grade A student being teasingly kept away from the formula by superstrength. ... or maybe she's gonna be dropped right in it...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 06 Apr 2017 06:06 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Agent00Soul

More
06 Apr 2017 18:22 #53551 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Bad Girls
I highly recommend checking it out. Tons of SWM actions: super strength, flight, shape-shifting, telepathy, super serums etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

More
06 Apr 2017 21:03 #53553 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Bad Girls
I'm going to have to find my copy, as I don't remember them that well. I bought these when it came out, and my hazy memory is that I was underwhelmed by it.

Sadly, i don't remember seeing them when I've been organizing.

I do sort of want to start a thread of great super-femme moments in comics (multiple issues, singles scenes, etc).

More
07 Apr 2017 01:49 - 09 Apr 2017 22:33 #53554 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic Bad Girls
It was so promising, but then the story cut short.

They're on XXXXX if you can't find

PM me if you are still looking for them

The first issue is pretty good, but then it gets uneven, the second issue is also good, showing a flawed 'good girl' protagonist in a more serious tone. Then it gets a bit cartoonish and brings all the usual half baked tropes. It felt to me that the people who created didn't reach on agreement of its tone.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2017 22:33 by lowerbase. Reason: removed the link

More
07 Apr 2017 03:04 #53555 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Bad Girls
Is comicdownload.net an authorised site to download copyrighted DC Comics?

More
07 Apr 2017 03:50 #53556 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Bad Girls
I have the collected volume, but I have to admit that I really didn't get into it like I hoped I would. It might be that the art was a little too fanciful for that kind of story. I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to superhero comics, and this was a little too "Powerpuff Girls" for me. I'm just a fuddy-duddy that way, I guess.

More
07 Apr 2017 04:07 #53557 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Bad Girls

Markiehoe wrote: Is comicdownload.net an authorised site to download copyrighted DC Comics?

It is not a source of authorized DC copyrighted material.

From their home page:

Disclaimer: comicdownload.net is a search engine of comics on the Internet (libgen 4shared Mediafire Rapidshare) and does not upload or store any files on its server. Please contact the content providers to delete files if any and email us, we'll remove relevant links or contents immediately.

The links are not traveling back to valid sites from what I can tell.

The comics are not present on Comixology. Nor are they on the DC Store.

You can check the links here: www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/bad-girls

You can buy the Graphic Novel for $4.00 off Amazon.com though. There is only one left though. (I think the DC site will still sell you a print copy at full price.)

But there is one copy left. There are a few on ebay.

I'm going to flip through some comics in my back room to see if I can find them, as I bought them (or at least the first few).

I probably should buy the copy on Amazon as it's easier to read than the individual comics, but I'll give someone else a chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Apr 2017 08:31 #53558 by Revan
Replied by Revan on topic Bad Girls
All I found there is a bunch of links that don't work.

More
07 Apr 2017 08:43 #53559 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Bad Girls
Guys,

once again I have to issue a warning: do not share links to site that hosts illegal copies of any kind of copyrighted media. I know that this is tedious, but it's for the sake of the site survival.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays

More
07 Apr 2017 15:51 - 07 Apr 2017 16:18 #53560 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Bad Girls
"fuddy-duddy" LOL!

I should qualify that as a story, I don't think it's that great. There is no real character development or worthy story arc. I was speaking only about the abundance of SWM-style feats. In that department, the only thing they missed was super-transformation.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2017 16:18 by Agent00Soul.

More
10 Jun 2017 22:56 - 10 Jun 2017 23:01 #54659 by shevek
Replied by shevek on topic Bad Girls
I just found this TPB used in a comic book store for $8! It was definitely a good buy. Four hot chicks in high school get superpowers. Then the outsider girl, who also gets powers, and the nerd boy who stumbled on the power formula, try to contain them. Yes the art is a bit cartoonish. But you have lots of displays of superpowers (strength, flying, shapeshifting, telepathy and invisibility..plus all of them are nearly invulnerable as well). You also have nice peril and action (fighting, falling from a building, getting thrown from a roof, and getting tied up by a villain) and near the end one of the girls dons a slinky Black Widow-esque secret agent costume. Overall it's pretty hot and would translate well to a teen movie that would probably come off a bit like "Charmed" meets "Mean Girls."

The scene depicted above is NOT the girl being thrown into a vat of formula..it's when the superstrong girl throws her into the swimming pool from the roof.

By the way...no relation to the comic Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Bad Girls..for which I also have the TPB and it's pretty hot.
Other than, of course, the fact that both refer back to the 90s 'bad girl' era of art styles and stories. Which was a great time. (Gen 13, etc.)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2017 23:01 by shevek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds