Amount

List I Found

14 Jun 2017 02:39 - 14 Jun 2017 02:40 #54749 by murdough
List I Found was created by murdough
www.cbr.com/body-language-the-15-most-in...uperhero-body-parts/

All I gotta say is scroll down to #3. Nuff said
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 02:40 by murdough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36, gotham_knight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2017 03:15 #54751 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic List I Found
Like all of these articles, it scratches its head on why the boob window exists, besides the perv theory

I talked about it here before, the boob window is meant to replace Superman's S

PG's cleavage is her emblem, her 'symbol'

poor girl, really. She can be Kriptonian but no one takes her seriously because of a boob window. She should receive a story arch about it, about trying to get respect and consideration beyond her Kardashian boobs fame.

Really, if an overly buff alien guy wearing spandex, with a red underwear over his blue pants, and a cape won humanity's respect, why a heroine that has prominent breasts can't have it either?

More
14 Jun 2017 03:55 #54753 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic List I Found
I always enjoyed the PG portrayals where she does NOT like Kal El. He tries to be fatherly and judgmental and he's very conservative in a social sense. She wants nothing to do with him.

My interpretation is that she leaves the window in her costume because she knows it will annoy the heck out of Kal El. That was supposed to be where his "S" would go, but she's NEVER going to wear his symbol. This is her way of giving him the finger, along with any bad guys who are weak enough to get tripped up on her boobs. She has shown her disdain for anyone dumb enough to comment about them within her earshot.

Anyway... that's my favorite spin on it all.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
14 Jun 2017 11:06 #54764 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic List I Found
The story as I heard it goes like this.
Back in the day Wally Wood was convinced that the DC Editors were not doing their jobs but getting paid much more than he.
So issue by issue he started increasing the size of Powergirl's breasts.
It took the editors seven issues to catch on.
By then mail was coming in with positive reactions from fans to Powergirl's "New Look" Surprise, surprise.
You also have to remember this was when the Comics Code Authority had loosened up the guidelines a little and were not stamping out sexy heroines.

More
14 Jun 2017 16:10 #54771 by shadar

Markiehoe wrote: The story as I heard it goes like this.
Back in the day Wally Wood was convinced that the DC Editors were not doing their jobs but getting paid much more than he.
By then mail was coming in with positive reactions from fans to Powergirl's "New Look" Surprise, surprise.
You also have to remember this was when the Comics Code Authority had loosened up the guidelines a little and were not stamping out sexy heroines.

That's an interesting real-world story, and it would be fun if it's true.

But, of course, that has to be tied to a fictional story that explains why she's done this. I've seen hints of that, which is where I came up with my post below, but I'm not sure it was ever clearly spelled out in the comics. The explanation might not have passed the Comics Code, but it could have been retrofitted in the modern era when writers have more freedom.

Do any of you comic scholars know if PG or SM ever explained the window?

Shadar

• shadar
More
14 Jun 2017 16:38 #54773 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic List I Found

shadar wrote:

But, of course, that has to be tied to a fictional story that explains why she's done this. I've seen hints of that, which is where I came up with my post below, but I'm not sure it was ever clearly spelled out in the comics. The explanation might not have passed the Comics Code, but it could have been retrofitted in the modern era when writers have more freedom.

Shadar

I heard the same editor story (or a similar version of it) as well regarding her breasts and them drawing them bigger till someone noticed.

In terms of the boob window, I don't know if it had ever been explained till the most recent Amanda Conner run of her book in which PG declares that she always wanted to be her own hero(ine) and wanted her own symbol -- like Supermans glyph. She purposely left "a place" for it for the day she would adopt one, but she never found one. It was when she was lamenting about her rather "confusing" backstory and origin.

That's the only time I can recall the writers purposefully addressing it....

ElF

More
14 Jun 2017 17:13 #54777 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic List I Found

lfan wrote:

shadar wrote:

Shadar

I heard the same editor story (or a similar version of it) as well regarding her breasts and them drawing them bigger till someone noticed.

In terms of the boob window, I don't know if it had ever been explained till the most recent Amanda Conner run of her book in which PG declares that she always wanted to be her own hero(ine) and wanted her own symbol -- like Supermans glyph. She purposely left "a place" for it for the day she would adopt one, but she never found one. It was when she was lamenting about her rather "confusing" backstory and origin.

ElF

I remember reading that the increasing boob size is a half myth, in the sense that the motivation was completely different.
As for the boob window (which actually is called a keyhole, I think) it was part of her original costume on All Stars comics. Keep in mind that her creator Gerry Conway never provided even her real name, which was introduced two years later in her first solo miniseries on Showcase #98.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
14 Jun 2017 17:24 #54778 by shadar

lfan wrote:

shadar wrote:

Shadar

ElF

That's kind of lame. She can't decide what to wear so she lets her boobs hang out for decades at a time??? Nice that Amanda said something, but that's not a story that works with the character.

It's not like PG to be indecisive. She's opinionated and decisive and if in doubt she acts, often leading with her fists. I prefer to think she's giving her older cousin the finger by flaunting herself and not using his symbol, or that she's just found it's useful to startle people with her prodigious and tenuously covered assets that could pop free at any moment, which probably makes it easier to take down bad guys without having to kill anyone. And a lot of bullets seem to find their way there and get trapped, saving lives (ricochets off Superman's steel chest have likely injured thousands).

Or maybe she just likes to show off.

I'm sure you guys can come up with even better reasons.

Here's an image from the artist and author Whitepaw that's NSFW but amusing:

Warning: Spoiler!

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.

• shadar
More
14 Jun 2017 20:33 #54784 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic List I Found

This message has an attachment image.

More
14 Jun 2017 22:56 #54790 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic List I Found
One of the best explanations that I have seen was that In some universe Power Girl wore the "S" shield and got into an argument with Superman so she tore the shield off in disgust and swore never to wear it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
14 Jun 2017 22:59 - 14 Jun 2017 22:59 #54791 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic List I Found

ace191 wrote: One of the best explanations that I have seen was that In some universe Power Girl wore the "S" shield and got into an argument with Superman so she tore the shield off in disgust and swore never to wear it again.

Get out of my personal canon :P ;)
I don't remember that explanation ever appearing in any official story, but it's possible.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 22:59 by Woodclaw.

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds