Amount

Super girls/women in books

18 Jul 2017 19:47 #55321 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Super girls/women in books
So it's a kid's book?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2017 00:11 #56705 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Super girls/women in books
I have read about 75% of The Girl Who Would Be King. It is fantastic. Slow build and some great imagery and dialog. Good vs evil. And she is very evil. Some issues with the lack of public awareness after several incidents. No photos, stories, reporters, cops like crazy... And there are physics issues but that was easily overlooked. Anyone else read it? $4 on Kindle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RD

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Oct 2017 02:12 #56716 by flynn0609
Replied by flynn0609 on topic Super girls/women in books
www.umanitoba.ca/cm/cmarchive/vol16no4/morethanweird.html

theres actually a pic of the lift also if anyone can find this book

More
08 Nov 2017 05:21 #56930 by jay_manus
Replied by jay_manus on topic Super girls/women in books
Anybody read Rebel Seoul?

I just ran across a review of it in of all places, the New York Times Review of Books. This quote caught my eye: "...a project to produce genetically engineered super-soldiers. Of course they're teenage girls. Of course [the main character] is smitten with one, who can rip the arm off a God Machine [giant robot fighting machine] without any effort."

There's a reference in the review to it being Young Adult fiction, though it's not labeled as such on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, RD

More
31 Jan 2018 00:24 #58372 by jay_manus
Replied by jay_manus on topic Super girls/women in books
Just read Chromosome S. The protagonists are indeed only 13 years old, which means they haven’t hit puberty, if you know what I mean. But the action isn’t bad if you can get past the sophomoric writing.

A sequel set 3 or 4 years in the future could make a good story indeed. Some fan fiction, anyone?

More
31 Jan 2018 06:11 #58373 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Super girls/women in books
What is weird is the review comments on Amazon about the book. Some cryptic review talking about the writer revealing personal information about people without their permission. Another comment claiming the writer is a criminal. Could not find any information online about the author, however.

More
31 Jan 2018 06:35 #58374 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Super girls/women in books

willow wrote: What is weird is the review comments on Amazon about the book. Some cryptic review talking about the writer revealing personal information about people without their permission. Another comment claiming the writer is a criminal. Could not find any information online about the author, however.

Huh? What would those accusations have to do with the book? Sounds like those were written by a troll to me

More
31 Jan 2018 08:22 #58375 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Super girls/women in books

jumperprime wrote:

willow wrote: What is weird is the review comments on Amazon about the book. Some cryptic review talking about the writer revealing personal information about people without their permission. Another comment claiming the writer is a criminal. Could not find any information online about the author, however.

Huh? What would those accusations have to do with the book? Sounds like those were written by a troll to me

The two negative reviews (out of 7) Willow is refering to are from two account names "A Concerned Customer" and "Amazon User", both have exactly one comment at their active and 3 votes. My suspect is that someone with a personal problem with the author created these two fake accounts to add negative reviews.

More
06 Feb 2018 01:26 #58473 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Super girls/women in books
Villains Don't Date Heroes

This one is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the title. A female version of Dr. Doom or Lex Luthor encounters essentially Supergirl, and gets distracted from beating her new arch-enemy by falling in love with her.

I can't say it's a timeless classic, but it's definitely a fun read. It made me happy that I have Kindle Unlimited, which makes trying iffy ebooks much less of a risk.

More
06 Feb 2018 08:48 #58481 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Super girls/women in books

Jabbrwock wrote: Villains Don't Date Heroes

This one is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the title. A female version of Dr. Doom or Lex Luthor encounters essentially Supergirl, and gets distracted from beating her new arch-enemy by falling in love with her.

I can't say it's a timeless classic, but it's definitely a fun read. It made me happy that I have Kindle Unlimited, which makes trying iffy ebooks much less of a risk.

This one sound pretty fun.

More
17 Feb 2018 20:20 #58608 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Super girls/women in books
It was definitely a fun read, and there is a sequel called "Villains Don't Save Heroes." Another book that you might want to check out is "Born a Queen" by Benjamin Medrano. The main character is about eight to ten times stronger and faster than a normal human. While use of her strength are far and few between, she has an interesting power called a "captivation field" that has some interesting results. Overall, a fun afternoon read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
17 Feb 2018 20:39 #58609 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Super girls/women in books
I can agree with your recommendation of Born a Queen. It's another good read, and I actually purchased it instead of just Kindle Unlimited, because Benjamin Medrano has proven himself to me as an author. He has a sequel coming out later this year called Down with the Queen.

More
17 Feb 2018 22:51 #58612 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Super girls/women in books
I give a thumbs up to Villians don't date heroes and Villians Don't Save Heroes. (there is a third book coming in a few months).

They were light and fun, with some nods to people like us. There is plenty of talk about the physics denying powers of a Kryptonian-like Heroine. The main character, the villain Night Terror, talks a lot about standard comic book tropes (inertia, momentum, saving a falling character, etc).

There is even a light paragraph that channels the comments Shadar made about how Supergirl's costume should be. (no cape, very light, not too much fabric so it's easy to wear under other clothes, etc). There are lots of talks about how much a Kryptonian-ish character can eat, drink, how smooth her skin is, how great her hair is (etc), with the wonder of how much of that is due to her powers. (And the heroine's naivety of what it's like to live without them.)

I found all these to be enjoyable. I also love reading things from people whose morals are a bit askew from normal, but are essentially good people. And the first books relay of her encounters with a being who is just _impossible_ are fun, mixed with her difficulty in concentrating as she's distracted by her opponent's beauty.

I can't say I found the first book surprising in its plot -- but it's not really the point. It's fun to read even if I guessed what was going on.

All in all, really fun. Night Terror does revist some rants a _few_ too many times in the book., but I took most of that as she's not really used to talking to people and she's narrating the story.

More
22 Aug 2021 14:50 #72136 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic Super girls/women in books
tercerafundacion.net/biblioteca/ver/ficha/201

Este es un enlace de una página web en CASTELLANO, dedicada a la ciencia ficción.  Lo he puesto para recomendar el libro "MUNDO DE DIOSES" del escritor y guionista de cómics Rafael Marin.
Tiene como protagonista a una superwoman llamada Davinia, ella junto a una periodista trata descubrir los secretos de ese mundo regido por Superpoderosos y Superpoderosas. 
Espero que os guste esta recomendación.This is a link to a web page in SPANISH, dedicated to science fiction. I have put it to recommend the book "MUNDO DE DIOSES" by the comic writer and scriptwriter Rafael Marin.
It has as its protagonist a superwoman named Davinia, she together with a journalist tries to discover the secrets of that world ruled by the Powerpuff.
I hope you like this recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

• guimachajo1
  • Away
More
24 Aug 2021 05:28 #72160 by HarmonyMotion
Replied by HarmonyMotion on topic Super girls/women in books
Does this count? 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

www.amazon.com/dp/B09DFNXG48/ref=sr_1_1?...id=1629779052&sr=8-1
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

More
24 Aug 2021 11:54 #72161 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Super girls/women in books
Akasha from queen of the damned.
vampirechronicles.fandom.com/wiki/Akasha

More
24 Aug 2021 16:56 #72163 by HarmonyMotion
Replied by HarmonyMotion on topic Super girls/women in books
Yvy makes her debut!
www.amazon.com/dp/B09DG96SLH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, slim36, MatrixSimon1

More
29 Aug 2021 18:42 #72192 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic Super girls/women in books

I'm looking for a place here to post some books titles with stories of teen girl or woman with super strength. I think it should be posted in "Superwoman on screen and in print" but for print we just have comics and manga. Should'nt have we "books" too ?

Thanks for helping me! I can't wait to post some reference of nice books.

Just as a teaser, in one book:
Kimberly slipped on Michelle's flip-flops heading for the door. She stopped turning around for one last thing. Walking back to the dresser, she picked up the mangled door knob placing it between her hands. She pressed her hands togheter. The metal of the abused knob crunched and groaned as she flattened it to a near pancake. She looked at one hand and then the other. Not even a scratch or blister appeared on them. A bright smile appeared on her face again as she examined the door-knob now rendered useless. "Forget Peter Parker", she beamed. "I'm Clark Kent."
(reference to come!).

Please, ¿Como se titula? y ¿Quién es su autor?. 
Es para buscar si se ha publicado en castellano y buscarlo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BrokenIron

• guimachajo1
  • Away
More
31 Aug 2021 04:44 #72197 by kam
Replied by kam on topic Super girls/women in books
Super World 1 and 2 by Lawrence Ambrose 

The power growth and scale gets pretty cosmic for the MC Jaime Shepherd once she recovers from her cancer and near death experience, and then some. Then a lot more people goes super, but Jaime by far exceeds everyone. 

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNVLZJ1 

More
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds