Amount

Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)

20 Oct 2005 07:06 #3129 by ultragirl
Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers) was created by ultragirl
You want to see a cocky and powerful Wonder Woman, you need to see this issue!

Spoilers:

She allows one of the OMAC driods to punch/kick her into a vat of molten steel to prove a point. She mentions that it burns, but she doesn't show that to anyone else. She emerges with a smug look saying, "Surely you can do better than that, brother?" Classic!

Here's what I dont' understand. She can take a near point-blank energy blast from three of the OMAC droids simultaniously, yet she needs her bracelets to block bullets. I don't get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ultragirl
  • ultragirl's Avatar Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2005 12:40 #3136 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
This is new to me.

In the original conception, WW wasn't any more invulnerable than, say, Catwoman. William Moulton Marston, creator of the comic, came up with the bracelets as her one, sole and only defense. Whether he did this just to differentiate WW from Superman and Captain Marvel, or was aware (He was a psychologist, and wanted WW to be a role model for women) that men might make a sexual fetish out of bullets and boobs, I have no idea. But the obvious answer to your question is that WW 221 grafts a new WW concept onto the old one.

More
20 Oct 2005 14:57 #3139 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
That is interesting. I mean, I always figured she could take a punch because she was so much stronger than anyone else. But I always thought that being dumped in a vat of molten steel would surely kill her.

More
20 Oct 2005 16:34 #3140 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
In #219, Superman attempted to take her into the sun and got pretty close. She is able to escape his grasp but her knocks her for a wallop. She survives reentry and makes quite a crater. Then she gets up an proceeds to kick Superman's ass!

• ultragirl
More
20 Oct 2005 16:36 #3141 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
Forgot to mention that she said she was holding back against Superman, but just barely.

I've notice the amount of power female characters have been weilding lately in comics. Supergirl stronger than Superman? Wonder Woman finally showing that she is actually second in power to Superman? She-Hulk getting a MAJOR upgrade.

No complaints here!

• ultragirl
More
20 Oct 2005 19:08 #3143 by brantley
Nor here.

But I'm wondering. WW diving into the sun, making a crater when she crashes into the Earth, bathing (in effect) in molten steel?

Sounds like the Aurora Universe or Xtreme Strength. Are the people at DC READING OUR STUFF?

Wonder what Steve Trevor thinks of all this, if he's still around. Will he or some other guy have intimate Paul Smith moments with WW?

More
20 Oct 2005 20:27 #3147 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
I admit that I haven't read a WW comic in a while, but from what you guys are saying, there is definitely some "powering up" going on. I hope they keep it up!!

More
20 Oct 2005 22:35 #3148 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
I think some of the impetus for the comics to power up was the last Matrix. There were some flight and fight scenes in there that were purely Uber.

Or to distance themselves from the upcoming WW movie, where Josh Whedan probably won't portary his WW as quite so super.

In any case, here are two recent WW's I came across where she's not exactly using her bracelets to deflect those bullets and missiles. Seems as she'd gotten very super in a Velorian way.

velorian.org/auow/super_too2.jpg

velorian.org/auow/AlRio023.jpg

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Oct 2005 13:34 #3159 by brantley
Are these from the comic, or a fan site, or what?

Wonder what William Moulton Marston would think.....

More
21 Oct 2005 13:37 #3160 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
That second picture is an ubergirl fetishist's Freudian delight. The other one's pretty hot too. Thanks, Shadar.

More
22 Oct 2005 00:53 #3167 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Wonder Woman #221 (Spoilers)
To Brantley's question, one is from a fan site (the first one) and the second, the one Concepfan correctly said was a Freudian delight, was from GlassHouseGraphics, a contract house for graphic arts.

I've shared a lot of GlassHouse work on the AUOW forum... haven't seen their work in the major comics, but I'm surprised I haven't.

Here's one of their latest of SG... artist's name is Noah:

velorian.org/auow/noah04a.jpg

You can find many other links in the various messages on:
groups.yahoo.com/group/au_other_worlds/

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds