Amount

Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble

10 Oct 2019 11:11 #65261 by freeLancer
Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble was created by freeLancer
m.fanfiction.net/s/9432066/1/Faora-s-World

It goes to 4 chapters but unfortunately the story is not complete. It ends where I feel it is about to get interesting.

Sir kibble if you are here please continue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• freeLancer
  • freeLancer's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2019 12:12 #65269 by derekh48
Replied by derekh48 on topic Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble
m.fanfiction.net/s/8862384/1/Blast-From-the-Past
this has potential but rated M so you've been warned

• derekh48
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2019 13:59 #65270 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble

derekh48 wrote: m.fanfiction.net/s/8862384/1/Blast-From-the-Past

This story is actually in our library as well.

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...ttonchops&Itemid=231
The following user(s) said Thank You: freeLancer

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Oct 2019 15:36 - 11 Oct 2019 15:38 #65271 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble

Woodclaw wrote:

derekh48 wrote: m.fanfiction.net/s/8862384/1/Blast-From-the-Past

This story is actually in our library as well.

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...ttonchops&Itemid=231

A good reminder that there is a TON (or is it TONNE) of stuff in our libraries, much of quite old. Also, the heyday of superwoman fiction (IMHO) was ten or fifteen years ago. 

That's before female comics characters in general were appearing in more than the occasional (usually bad) movie. So we had to create our own stories. And a lot of that genre fiction was written in mature style, which was common in the 90's in particular. 

My theory is that once superheroines and female supervillains went mainstream, albeit mostly at a PG level, the desire to write stories was blunted,

And now, with changing cultural expectations among the prime viewing audience, the sexuality is being diminished further, as we see with recent costume redesigns, et. al. Sexism is out of style.  Everything ebbs and flows and changes with time. 

But my main point is that digging deep in our own library will often reveal some real gems that we've likely all forgotten. Like this series. 

Shadar
Last edit: 11 Oct 2019 15:38 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
12 Oct 2019 00:07 #65275 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble

shadar wrote:
A good reminder that there is a TON (or is it TONNE) of stuff in our libraries, much of quite old. Also, the heyday of superwoman fiction (IMHO) was ten or fifteen years ago.

Well, I'm really sorry that you feel that way, because while we lost some exceptional writers over the years others had stepped up to the plate. If you don't like many recent stories in the genre, that's fine, but saying that the best has already been done is absolutely disrespectful to these writers.

shadar wrote: That's before female comics characters in general were appearing in more than the occasional (usually bad) movie. So we had to create our own stories. And a lot of that genre fiction was written in mature style, which was common in the 90's in particular. 

My theory is that once superheroines and female supervillains went mainstream, albeit mostly at a PG level, the desire to write stories was blunted,

Once again, saying this sounds really disrespectful to the work of these writers. Based on your logic, any IP that produces enough material on its own shouldn't generate any fanfiction or other derivative product, which is absolutely wrong. This might be just my experience, but a great amount of easily avaible source material provides a much greater chance of creating derivatives. Just look at the Star Wars fanfictions.

shadar wrote: And now, with changing cultural expectations among the prime viewing audience, the sexuality is being diminished further, as we see with recent costume redesigns, et. al. Sexism is out of style.  Everything ebbs and flows and changes with time.

So what?
If anything this should really push people to write more about the sexual aspect of a character, not less.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Oct 2019 01:45 #65276 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Faora's world - fanfiction by a sir kibble

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote:

Well, I'm really sorry that you feel that way, because while we lost some exceptional writers over the years others had stepped up to the plate. If you don't like many recent stories in the genre, that's fine, but saying that the best has already been done is absolutely disrespectful to these writers.

shadar wrote: That's before female comics characters in general were appearing in more than the occasional (usually bad) movie. So we had to create our own stories. And a lot of that genre fiction was written in mature style, which was common in the 90's in particular. 

Once again, saying this sounds really disrespectful to the work of these writers. Based on your logic, any IP that produces enough material on its own shouldn't generate any fanfiction or other derivative product, which is absolutely wrong. This might be just my experience, but a great amount of easily avaible source material provides a much greater chance of creating derivatives. Just look at the Star Wars fanfictions.

shadar wrote: And now, with changing cultural expectations among the prime viewing audience, the sexuality is being diminished further, as we see with recent costume redesigns, et. al. Sexism is out of style.  Everything ebbs and flows and changes with time.

So what?
If anything this should really push people to write more about the sexual aspect of a character, not less.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on what I was saying, but I had two goals:

1) to encourage people to dig deep into SWM library because there are great old stories in there. 

2) Share my thought that the peak of our genre has passed, but not in quality but rather in quantity. 

There are excellent individual writers working now, but the sheer number of active writers and the volume of material being posted is far less than a decade or so ago. There used to be many sites with more weekly submissions combined than anyone could read. Thats what I meant by heyday. 

We are actually living, right now, in the absolute heyday of fan/enthusiast-written fiction right now, but we are mostly outside that community. Most of what appears on SWM is original stories based on a handful of shared themes, and not the far more prevalent "in universe" type of fan-fiction that is closely based on movies or TV or video games. The overall community of fan-fiction writers seems to be massive and strong with huge numbers of stories published on many forums, and characteristically high levels of feedback, mentorship and support between writers. I was surprised when reading this article, which is kind of a nerd's perspective on fan-fiction (where they also claim to own it). It describes fan-written fiction in ways I hadn't seen before. It also reinforces my belief that we are not part of that very large community.  www.wired.com/story/culture-fan-tastic-planet-fanfic/

We are something different, and that's far more interesting to me. 

Your last point is well taken, Woodclaw. By my thinking, I can see that the current volume TV shows and movies that we see today, combined with the cultural limitations on portrayals in popular media, might generate even more enthusiastic writers in the future who are dedicated to expanding those portrayals. That would be great and definitely possible.

As I write this I'm also wondering if shows like Supergirl or movies like Wonder Woman have fan-fiction communities built around them, as so many shows and movies do? If so, then some of that fiction might be interesting to use here. And if it is, then I might be wrong about the number of writers in the superheroine/villain genres.  

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds