Amount

The Lake

10 Jan 2020 15:11 - 10 Jan 2020 15:55 #66330 by HikerAngel
The Lake was created by HikerAngel
My first Amazon Kindle story just went live. It's very dark, very sexy, and features two superwomen--a heroine and a villainess. It won an award on writing.com prior to editing and the addition of an improved ending. It's a novella of about 20,000 words. It's free if you have Kindle Unlimited or a Kindle device, but it costs $0.99 if you don't. (That was the lowest amount they let me charge and still include it in KU.)

amzn.to/2NeTmW1

Please, please, please check it out!

:)
Last edit: 10 Jan 2020 15:55 by HikerAngel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SHTL, Sarge395, slim36, ChaozCloud, AuGoose, RD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
10 Jan 2020 20:32 #66336 by Bolt527
Replied by Bolt527 on topic The Lake
Read it. It's quite good. I hope you keep publishing more along these lines: dark and gritty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2020 21:40 - 10 Jan 2020 21:44 #66338 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

Bolt527 wrote: Read it. It's quite good. I hope you keep publishing more along these lines: dark and gritty.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to actually have a Kindle story out there. Now to get my novel edited and uploaded... :)

Wow, it has moved from #9,000-something to #308 in its category for Kindle stories on Amazon today. Thank you so much, guys!!! :)
Last edit: 10 Jan 2020 21:44 by HikerAngel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
11 Jan 2020 03:13 #66346 by barber
Replied by barber on topic The Lake
Probably just Amplifier doing his thing, HikerAngel...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 03:46 #66347 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

barber wrote: Probably just Amplifier doing his thing, HikerAngel...

I’m starting to like this Amplifier guy! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
11 Jan 2020 18:12 #66354 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic The Lake
50 percent of the way through.  i am liking this story!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 18:20 #66355 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic The Lake
It's a very entertaining story that people here would probably like with several ubergirl elements to it.  In only a short time on the scene, HA excels at beautification and "improvement" tales, and I would put her beautification and transformation scenes right up there with anyone in the genre.

my $.02
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 18:44 #66357 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic The Lake

HikerAngel wrote:

Bolt527 wrote: Read it. It's quite good. I hope you keep publishing more along these lines: dark and gritty.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to actually have a Kindle story out there. Now to get my novel edited and uploaded... :)

Wow, it has moved from #9,000-something to #308 in its category for Kindle stories on Amazon today. Thank you so much, guys!!! :)


I checked it out on Unlimited and it'll be one of the next things that I read.  I hope you make something reasonable off that. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2020 16:38 - 12 Jan 2020 16:39 #66370 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake
I make $0.35 per copy sold at the $0.99 price point. In some countries, I make a little more; some, a little less. So far, I’ve made enough thus far to buy a latte at Starbucks every day for a week... which is to say, not much! :)

What I’m really curious to see is how much I receive from KU and KOLL at the end of the month. This is more of an experiment than anything. I’m trying to see whether it is better to do the exclusive Amazon thing to get KU sales, or to publish across sites like Gumroad, Wattpad, and Apple Books. I’m hoping to publish a full superwoman novel, the first in a series, in the coming weeks as well, and I’m debating how to do it. This novella will help me tell, since I know zero about publishing at this point.

I've also submitted a couple of short stories and poems to magazines. We’ll see how that goes as well...

Also, thank you so much to the multi-talented Lfan who made a much more professional-looking cover for it! It’s so much better now!

If you want to keep up on my journey to become a proper author, feel free to check in on my blog. It’s at:
https://www.writing.com/main/profile/blog/hikerangel
Last edit: 12 Jan 2020 16:39 by HikerAngel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Revan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
12 Jan 2020 21:07 #66373 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic The Lake

HikerAngel wrote: What I’m really curious to see is how much I receive from KU and KOLL at the end of the month. This is more of an experiment than anything. I’m trying to see whether it is better to do the exclusive Amazon thing to get KU sales, or to publish across sites like Gumroad, Wattpad, and Apple Books. I’m hoping to publish a full superwoman novel, the first in a series, in the coming weeks as well, and I’m debating how to do it. This novella will help me tell, since I know zero about publishing at this point.


I know this is an anecdote rather than data but here's my experience with cross-platform publishing. For my last project, sales on Amazon Kindle accounted for 99% of total sales. Every other platform combined accounted for the other 1%. It wasn't worth my sticking around on the other stores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2020 23:08 #66381 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

Gincognifo wrote: I know this is an anecdote rather than data but here's my experience with cross-platform publishing. For my last project, sales on Amazon Kindle accounted for 99% of total sales. Every other platform combined accounted for the other 1%. It wasn't worth my sticking around on the other stores.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that insight! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
13 Jan 2020 16:07 #66399 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic The Lake

HikerAngel wrote:

Gincognifo wrote: I know this is an anecdote rather than data but here's my experience with cross-platform publishing. For my last project, sales on Amazon Kindle accounted for 99% of total sales. Every other platform combined accounted for the other 1%. It wasn't worth my sticking around on the other stores.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that insight! :)


Your mileage may vary, especially if you have a better marketing plan than me, which was to do nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 20:10 #66405 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

Gincognifo wrote: Your mileage may vary, especially if you have a better marketing plan than me, which was to do nothing.

I think this thread and my blog constitute the extent of my marketing prowess. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gincognifo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
13 Jan 2020 21:50 #66409 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The Lake
I think it's encouraging that you guys are putting some things up on Amazon and other places for wider exposure. I've considered doing so for years, but never made the push to pull it off. 

I'd never considered making money from publishing my stuff (Ok, maybe an occasional latte or two), but always wondered if there was an audience out there who could appreciate our "genre" stories who hadn't already joined the ranks of SWM and/or the other genre sites. 

Have you had any decent feedback or evidence of exposure on Amazon, et.al. to readers outside our rather inclusive community?

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 22:16 #66410 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic The Lake
I would have bought this...but when I try it says it is unavailable on the Aussie Amazon market. A shame...sounds really good.

"Stupid Reality!" - Homer J. Simpson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 23:19 #66412 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

shadar wrote: I think it's encouraging that you guys are putting some things up on Amazon and other places for wider exposure. I've considered doing so for years, but never made the push to pull it off. 

I'd never considered making money from publishing my stuff (Ok, maybe an occasional latte or two), but always wondered if there was an audience out there who could appreciate our "genre" stories who hadn't already joined the ranks of SWM and/or the other genre sites. 

Have you had any decent feedback or evidence of exposure on Amazon, et.al. to readers outside our rather inclusive community?

Shadar

Thank you. I wasn't sure what reaction to expect. I'm not angling to make a living from writing, but paying my student loans down ever so slightly would be nice perk from my writing. The Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Online Lending Library aspect is really appealing. People who already have that service pay nothing but can read my stories for free, and I see royalties from it (though I have no idea how much yet--I'll let you know when I receive my first report on that at the beginning of February). I can't see who buys it, but I can tell total quantities sold by country. Sales by country tend to follow my DeviantArt and writing.com view stats to a "T". The country views are literally always in the same order, other than that Austrailia/Netherlands/Sweden are sometimes shuffled a bit.

1. United States
2. Germany
3. Italy
4. UK
5. Canada
6. Australia
7. Netherlands
8. Sweden
9. Philippines
10. Various other European countries

Amazon doesn't give any demographic info beyond sales by country, but writing.com and Google Analytics on my DeviantArt do. 91% of my readers on DeviantArt are men, 79% are male on writing.com. 70% of my readers are between the age of 18 and 34. Most of them make either less than $20,000 per year (probably students) or over $80,000 per year.

Whether these people are different than those on SWM... I have absolutely no idea. As I said, none of those sites give information on individual people (I'm actually happy about that--there's at least some level of privacy there, at least in what they share to authors). What I do know from writing.com is that the vast majority of my readers are young men. Most of my views from women come from my poetry (90%+ women) or horror stories (20-30% women). Only about 10% of my views on beautification stories and superheroine stories come from women. My market niche in this genre definitely seems to be writing for guys with only a small percentage of women.

I'll let you know if I somehow gain any additional insight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Lucent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
13 Jan 2020 23:19 #66413 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

Dru1076 wrote: I would have bought this...but when I try it says it is unavailable on the Aussie Amazon market. A shame...sounds really good.

Really? That's strange! It's supposed to be on the market in Australia! I'll check it out...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
13 Jan 2020 23:26 #66414 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic The Lake

HikerAngel wrote:

Dru1076 wrote: I would have bought this...but when I try it says it is unavailable on the Aussie Amazon market. A shame...sounds really good.

Really? That's strange! It's supposed to be on the market in Australia! I'll check it out...


I worked it out. It's the link taking me to the wrong page. To buy it from Australia use this link:

www.amazon.com.au/Lake-Hiker-Angel-ebook...id=1578957875&sr=8-1

"Stupid Reality!" - Homer J. Simpson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 23:27 #66416 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake

Dru1076 wrote: I worked it out. It's the link taking me to the wrong page. To buy it from Australia use this link:

www.amazon.com.au/Lake-Hiker-Angel-ebook...id=1578957875&sr=8-1

Oh good! I was wondering how I had Australian sales...! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
14 Jan 2020 00:09 #66417 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic The Lake
Just to clarify for everyone else. If my link isn't working in your region, just type:

"The Lake Hiker Angel"

in the search box, and the story will come up. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds