Amount

"Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020

17 Feb 2020 02:46 - 17 Feb 2020 03:31 #66824 by Random321
Some of you may have seen the Supergirl comic is ending at #42 in May.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I'm hoping this is not the start of the end of superhero/heroines in general. The sales didnt seem that disappointing even if I found the stories around my favorite character were.  Maybe they are getting ready to pivot her for the movie.

www.cbr.com/dcs-supergirl-end-may/
Last edit: 17 Feb 2020 03:31 by Random321.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Feb 2020 07:44 #66827 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
It's not the first time her solo book's been axed, and it won't be the last. Give it a couple years and she'll get her own book again.

More
17 Feb 2020 11:52 #66829 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
This happens all the time in comics.  Characters get cancelled then rebooted.

With Captain Marvel, this happens on a yearly basis.

Supergirl will be back.

Peace.

/K

More
17 Feb 2020 14:22 #66831 by shadar

Random321 wrote: Some of you may have seen the Supergirl comic is ending at #42 in May.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I'm hoping this is not the start of the end of superhero/heroines in general. The sales didnt seem that disappointing even if I found the stories around my favorite character were.  Maybe they are getting ready to pivot her for the movie.

www.cbr.com/dcs-supergirl-end-may/

That can happen when the writers/producers turn an unwaveringly heroic character into a villain. 

But I would echo other comments and suggest that someone down the road will decide to recast Kara Zor El as a superheroine again and relaunch her comic book. 

I mean, Supergirl in the comic books was once the underaged girlfriend of Lex Luthor, and a contributing part of his evil schemes. If we got past that, we can get past anything. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Feb 2020 04:05 #66839 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
I haven't kept up with the comic itself, but I've read about the constant revisionism in both the DC and Marvel universes. In my own amateur work, I've tried to keep the "reality" consistent, but I doubt that would appeal to anyone beyond the AU, and doesn't even appeal to some within it. Beyond tre comics and comic book movies, we're into the 20th Dr Who, but I gather its universe is fairly consistent.. And in crime fiction series, do the cops suddenly become criminals and then go back to being cops?

--Brantley

More
18 Feb 2020 20:32 #66845 by Albais
Not surprised as well with that since is not first time that it happens, but the main reason for me (and not only one to see it that way) can be perfectly resumed in this article from another interesting SG fan place:

comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2020/02/...y-i-should-just.html

I couldn't be more clear than him for sure...

More
18 Feb 2020 21:05 #66846 by shadar

Albais wrote: Not surprised as well with that since is not first time that it happens, but the main reason for me (and not only one to see it that way) can be perfectly resumed in this article from another interesting SG fan place:

A lot that makes sense in this article, but between the article and the comments, it is also said several times that CW really knows how to do Supergirl right, and that DC should pay attention.  

Sigh...  

The Kara Zor El  portrayals I liked all ended with her death in the Crisis in 1985. Reincarnation rarely works out well. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
18 Feb 2020 21:46 #66847 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
I wouldn't worry much about this either. She is a relatively known and well liked character, I predict she will have a new series before the year is over.

More
19 Feb 2020 01:33 #66849 by Idylls

ChaozCloud wrote: I wouldn't worry much about this either. She is a relatively known and well liked character, I predict she will have a new series before the year is over.

That is a given. The thing is DC just keeps making the same mistake with Supergirl. From her character and what her story is about. To attaching themes like her agenda driven show, which I fear her next book will do. To simple plotting, like she doesn't have her storyline. All her book does is follow this event or that character. No initiative, no identity. The character is doomed to fail if they keep doing the same thing.

Shame. I liked the covers though. 

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2020 02:30 #66851 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020

shadar wrote:

Albais wrote: Not surprised as well with that since is not first time that it happens, but the main reason for me (and not only one to see it that way) can be perfectly resumed in this article from another interesting SG fan place:

A lot that makes sense in this article, but between the article and the comments, it is also said several times that CW really knows how to do Supergirl right, and that DC should pay attention.  

Sigh...  

The Kara Zor El  portrayals I liked all ended with her death in the Crisis in 1985. Reincarnation rarely works out well. 

Shadar

Missing in this is that her becoming evil is part of a larger DC story arc, one that I really don't like. It started with Metal (filled with there are dark failed universes filled with horrible versions of our heroes), and dragged on and on, and partially morphed into the never ending DOOM storyline in JLA (with FINALLY finished up after like two years of the SAME DAMN BORING SHIT).  And it birthed the horrible "Batman who laughs" ... who wouldn't be that bad if it was a "let's explore this topic and then move on".  Oh, no, let's take this topic and (literally) infect the DCU with it.  There are some characters (I think Sentry is one too) that need to come in, be examined, and then GOTTEN RID OF.

And Batman Who Laughs infects Shazam, Supergirl, Blue Beetle, Hawkman, and Commissioner Gordon.  The heroes have Gordon in quarantine, and then every hero walks into the room to feed him and gets infected.  So damn dumb.

I know the heroes picked were partially to "kill hope"-- you pervert the blind optimism of Shazam (etc), and take out hopeful/bright Supergirl (though Batman Who Laughs wanted to take out Superman, she stepped in and took the hit) ... etc etc.

But, I'm tired of the whole thing and it's rotting just about every comic at DC. I can't just ignore it, as it's sliming everything.

Ug.

The only Metal-touched storyline that I think isn't a dumpster fire is _maybe_ Flash Forward but it's dealing with the dumpster fire that "Heroes in Crisis" was. (Really WALLY WEST MURDERED people?  ROY?!?  W-T-F.)  Though I loved the backstory to Heroes in Crisis, and dealing with the fact that Wally is really screwed up (his wife and kids now never existed and some other woman who looks EXACTLY like his wife, but isn't, is around.)

But, the solution is simple:

I don't mind some "world spanning" stories, but exempt SOME comics from it. And when some comics should be tonally different from it .. you LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Also, giant world changing/shattering stores need to be in/out in a month or two. They ruined 3 months of the Supergirl comic   due to Infected. (Though I hear it would have been canceled earlier if not for that.)

It doesn't help that they were stacking Metal, Doomsday Clock, the JLA related story, etc.  

But i agree with one point of the article: I have problems with Bendis, but his Wonder Imprint is working well and he's written Supergirl well.  (Leviathan is getting to be a "this is just too much crap though.)

I _hope_ that Supergirl is being canceled to take it down for 1-3 months (so more harm isn't done) and then reboot it with Bendis being the guiding force (he's writing too many books so he  needs someone to write it, but slot it in better with the rest of the stuff.)

More
23 Feb 2020 18:29 #66914 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
Actually this weekend there were some interesting things.

Dan Didio got canned from DC Comics.  So ... some of the plans might be changed/altered now.  That might be good news.

www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/21/why-dan-didio-leave-dc-comics/

The "5G" plan is pretty much what Marvel had been doing which led to a lot of people being upset and marvel returning all the main characters again. (The cycle is normal, but they did it to a lot at the same time  Captain America/Thor/Hulk..)  After that mini-reboot of returning the old characters, Marvel is selling 10% more than DC ...    5G seems like a non-starter even though it could be some really great stories too.  (I"d love to see it as a Ultimate Universe/Elsewords re-occurring story thing.  It's what Earth-2 was all along, just spin that idea back up right...)

Charitably, Didio always seemed to like riling up the fans thinking it's how you drove sales.  It's not always wrong.. but it's also not a way to make them all that happy with you.

OTH, the man loved comics.

Also, while I was reading about that, Bleeding Cool had this article:

www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/20/28-dc-co...pies-than-supergirl/

(Some of those are limited series that are ending naturally though.)

More
27 Feb 2020 18:05 #66976 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic "Standalone" Supergirl Comic Ending May 2020
...there was also a rumor that perhaps DC Publishing would just shut down or sell out. However, those rumors also pointed a finger at selling out to Marvel which seems absolutely absurd even with crazy collusion among the few media companies.

It all seems very click bait-ish - so I'm taking it with a grain of salt and not even posting links.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Feb 2020 18:26 #66977 by TwiceOnThursdays

Random321 wrote: ...there was also a rumor that perhaps DC Publishing would just shut down or sell out. However, those rumors also pointed a finger at selling out to Marvel which seems absolutely absurd even with crazy collusion among the few media companies.

It all seems very click bait-ish - so I'm taking it with a grain of salt and not even posting links.

I agree it's all click bait.

DC isn't losing money so there isn't any reason to shut it down or sell the publishing rights. (Though that was discussed before back in the past ... 80's I think .. before John Byrne left marvel to do Superman.)

And WB/ATT wouldn't dream of selling off the complete rights to the DC characters in this day an age. And why cede control of the comic books if you want to keep making movies (and $$).  It's chump change to run DC Comics.

I could see them farming out to Marvel/IDW/etc to write some characters.  but... seems like it's easier to just keep running DC Comics.

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds