Amount

KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine

09 Mar 2020 22:29 #67133 by elnovo1234
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, lojack, Sarge395, algae2k, ChaozCloud, Helstar, SCOTT R, rednecko, aguilauno, gotham_knight, TwiceOnThursdays, erikphandel, AuGoose, cristian01984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• elnovo1234
  • elnovo1234's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2020 23:28 #67139 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine
I'm going to rant for a second.   I really love that it was posted here, this isn't about that, finding things like this is one of the reasons I come here!

I liked this book, and I _was_ going to take a chance and see what it was like. 

Except I really like to get physical copies of things I kickstart and they are SOLD OUT OF PHYSICAL COPIES.

No explanation on how they could sell out BEFORE printing them.

And it's not that they don't want to invest in printing more as they're going swap the front/back cover and print a special run for a limited indigogo run.  They're willing to print more, just not to sell to me on kickstarter.    Why?  Why not just make them all the same and print enough to sell to kickstarter and some more for indigogo?  Hell if I know.   But I get the message: "we don't like you and we don't want your money". 

Also, to add salt into the wound, the PDF won't be released until ALL physical shipments have been made as  "we want to make sure that all physical rewards are fully accounted for before releasing a PDF into the wild."  So supporters won't get to see the thing they backed because you want to make them all wait for an artificial reason?   Yeah.  No.   Strike two.

I either try to remember to go to indigogo which annoys me as it's some other damn thing for me to track (and I have enough of those).  I have no easy way to remember "go to indigogo on this unspecified date in the future to find this and back it".  Nor do I really want to back it there.  Instead, I'll just honor their wishes.  They don't want to take my money, so ... the easiest thing is to just not give it to them and forget all about this.

I'm getting that message so strongly that I'll skip on chipping in to see the PDF. They don't even want to send me that when it's ready.  Who am I to disagree with their wishes to not take my money?

Honestly, this is the ONLY kickstarter I've seen that SOLD OUT of physical copies (not just special covers).  Maybe others do and I haven't noticed?  That's possible, I tend to back pretty early, esp on repeat things.  I won't be repeating this as I won't be aware of it (not a backer so I won't get update emails) and if I see it again, I'm pretty sure I'll just remember I said "Oh, yeah, I passed on that thing before" and therefore not worry about it and pass on it again.  Life is too short.  Next.

For me a kickstarter for a comic is pretty easy:

- give me a PDF only tier if I want it
- give me a tier with a physical copy and a PDF (and make that clear).  Please don't make me hunt around and try to figure out if I get the PDF when I get the physical copy.  Also, man, just send me the digital copy! (yes I want both.)  Also, don't charge me $10 extra for the PDF.  That's just rude.
- give me a tier to catch up w/ all pdfs and all physical copies (not needed for this one)  Or be clear in the text that you've sold out, so you can't offer physical back issues, but then make sure to include PDFs of all the previous stuff so I can at least read the digital copy.
- don't hold up the digital copy
- sprinkle in other rewards to make people happy (alternative covers, posters, etc).  I generally don't care about these but some do!  And I sometimes care when an artist I love gets a cover, and I like to support those.  Either way, I see it as a way to make some more $$ and I'm not against that.  Far from it.

I can't even easily tell them this because -- I can't comment unless I back the project.  I guess I could send a DM to the project backer but .... hell I ranted here instead.

I currently am backing 4 projects that haven't completed yet.   I looked and I have roughly 16 more in the pipeline (I might have digital copies but I'm waiting on the physical ones).  I like to back things to help creators bring their vision out.  I mention this as I actually DO look to support things like this so they get made.  And I have a LOT of books where I'm backing them as I backed the first one and thus, was an easy target to hit for the next one (etc).  I'm an easy target, so if you are doing something that upset me enough to make me rant, there might be something wrong w/ your business model.  At the very least maybe say "to print more would cost me $$$ and unless we sell a shit-ton I can't do it..." but I don't believe that since they are making the indigogo run w/ a new print run.  

Oh well, I usually don't focus on something that I dislike and makes me mad, I just skip to the next thing I like.  And that's what I'm going to do here, I just ranted first.  Anyway, if someone knows the people behind this, please let them know I heard their wishes to avoid having to deal with my dirty money, and I'll try to remember to do so in the future as well.  I really hate forcing people to do things they do not want to do.  Plenty of people want my money and are willing to take it from me.

I wish them luck and I hope things work out for them (they seem to be doing well on the kickstarter).  iI just won't be part of it. 

More
11 Mar 2020 10:51 #67145 by rabid_schnauzer
Replied by rabid_schnauzer on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine
Re: how to rant on Kickstarter.

Back the project  at the one dollar level, leave your comments and then cancel your pledge before the funding deadline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
11 Mar 2020 11:56 #67146 by TwiceOnThursdays

rabid_schnauzer wrote: Re: how to rant on Kickstarter.

Back the project  at the one dollar level, leave your comments and then cancel your pledge before the funding deadline.

This is a very practical answer.  I generally don't do footsie things like this -- give support and take away.  But it's a logical, practical hack so I could vent to the creator.  As I said, I can also send the person who created this a DM with the rant, which is probably more productive. I might still do that.

But most of the fire is gone, I got other things to focus on in my life than some creator who ran an ill-set up Kickstarter.  I won't miss reading this, I'll be too busy on the zillion other things I want to consume.

This is the lesson in the current world: attention is the main currency.  You have a shot to grab my attention and hold it, and then parlay that into some more attention, and ultimately make a bid for my $$.  Flub that for any reason and you fail to get the $$ -- but you might also succeed with others for the same reason(s).  Nothing is free and it's all a balance....but making unforced errors isn't a great start.  I really can't grok what they thought they were doing, but I'm sure it makes sense to them somehow.

My particular set of oddities and preferences lost them my support -- I could easily send them $5 and get a PDF a few weeks later than I should due to some weird thoughts of theirs -- but ultimately not affecting me any and actually shipping pretty quickly for a kickstarter.  Most people were trying to figure out how to get the hard copy who wanted one -- I went right past that to "why are you making me work to get what you are selling". I don't want to have to work to help them.  That's the point: they already got a shot at my attention and wasted it, and ultimately, my time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
12 Mar 2020 11:39 - 12 Mar 2020 11:40 #67150 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine
I did check and Twice is right.
They are SOLD OUT of physical copies.
How is that possible?
Was this supposed to be a limited edition?
Makes no sense.

Movin' on.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 11:40 by Markiehoe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
24 Mar 2020 21:41 - 13 Apr 2020 02:20 #67246 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine
First time I actually contributed to a Kickstarter project in my life ... and obviously it did not work -_- this comic book does not like us superwomamania forum people lol
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 02:20 by Helstar.

More
13 Apr 2020 02:23 #67651 by Helstar
www.indiegogo.com/projects/kamen-america-volume-1/x/23437069#/

Available again... hopefully my italian postepay card will work on indiegogo (in the end I discovered that it is NOT supported on kickstarter anymore !)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
13 Apr 2020 06:45 - 13 Apr 2020 06:46 #67656 by shevek
Replied by shevek on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine
Kamen America looks good - you can always expect pretty good stuff from Tim Lim!

And while you're on indiegogo, check the Indiecron listings for all the current campaigns...
beside the ever-popular Cyberfrog, there are plenty of superheroine books such as:

- Peregrine
- Perfect 10
- Pandemic  (well, she's more like just a heroine)
- Rocket Gal and the Mole Men of Mars
- Starblades (has a couple nice heroines)

Go to Indiecron here:   indiecron.com/
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 06:46 by shevek.

More
13 Apr 2020 08:56 #67658 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic KAMEN AMERICA Superheroine

Helstar wrote: www.indiegogo.com/projects/kamen-america-volume-1/x/23437069#/

Available again... hopefully my italian postepay card will work on indiegogo (in the end I discovered that it is NOT supported on kickstarter anymore !)

That's strange I use a Postepay evilution for all my stuff on Kickstarter without much of a problem.

More
13 Apr 2020 14:54 - 13 Apr 2020 14:56 #67662 by Helstar
You know the funny thing ? I tried the regular yellow postepay, bancoposta (mastercard) and evolution, I have all 3 !
None worked, always rejected ! And I have no restrictions of use in the their options, i doublechecked.

By looking on the web/forums, it seems some are able to use their postepay, but most people not (or not anymore) since a couple months.

On Indiegogo it worked fine, got myself the digital version, unfortunately we will have to wait in June to receive this...
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 14:56 by Helstar.

More
28 Apr 2020 21:18 #67833 by Helstar
Review... meanwhile Indiegogo is sold out too.

More
28 Apr 2020 23:45 #67834 by TwiceOnThursdays

Helstar wrote: Review... meanwhile Indiegogo is sold out too.

Man, I love the art.  It’s light and fun.

OTH... I don’t like the review.  Just not my cup of tea. Too much time spent talking about what he’s not reviewing, long quotes from movies that  drive home a point I already got from the reviewer directly (Kaman America is hot) and my own eyes (man that art is nice, and damn she is nice on the page and I like that).  Some of the places he focused the humor at, if this is the great humor in the book .. uh.. well.. .I wouldn’t be knocking the funny books from Marvel as this ain’t better than any of that. (* from the evidence given in this review.) 

The review didn’t really make me want to get the book, it actually made me a bit glad I’m missing out. OTH, the art was what spoke to me. I think the writing was probably good enough to ignore the clunky bits that the reviewer seems to think was great.

(Quite willing to believe that since I really wasn’t impressed by the reviewer he totally picked the wrong things to focus on in the book, in fact, I think it’s rather likely.)

But .. hey they’re out of physical copies AGAIN, so I couldn’t even get it if I wanted too, even if I already didn’t want to go to Indegogo.  I’ll remember the name Tim Lim, it means “He doesn’t want my money”.

But since he’s selling all the he copies he wanted to make, he’s probably doing quite well w/o my money.   Wish him well.

More
29 Apr 2020 02:15 - 29 Apr 2020 02:17 #67838 by Helstar
I haven't heard a single word of the review, i wanted to see other pages :p

You had a wide chance (lots of days, 15 to be precise) when i linked the Indiegogo campaign in this same thread, it seems to me it's almost like you wanted to miss out, now ...
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 02:17 by Helstar.

More
30 Apr 2020 22:15 #67867 by TwiceOnThursdays

Helstar wrote: I haven't heard a single word of the review, i wanted to see other pages :p

You had a wide chance (lots of days, 15 to be precise) when i linked the Indiegogo campaign in this same thread, it seems to me it's almost like you wanted to miss out, now ...

Yeah, I really messed all that up didn't I?  I don't know how I'll live with myself.

It doesn't matter. He sold all physical copies.  He made all the money he wanted to make. I'd just have taken someone else's copy. 

He's happy.  I don't have a project on indigogo to worry about so I'm happy I forgot about it.  It's all good.

More
21 May 2020 16:35 #68088 by Helstar
Yet another chance for the physical copy... www.iconiccomics.com/

More
21 May 2020 17:10 #68089 by TwiceOnThursdays

Helstar wrote: Yet another chance for the physical copy... www.iconiccomics.com/

Thanks, I ordered a copy to check it out.  Says I should have it next week.

Still a shittily run Kickstarter and Indigogo -- esp since it went up on a site to order right after.  I'm still boggled at the idiocy.  Why limit the physical copies on both of those if you're just gonna print more?  The entire point of KS is that people PRE-PAY.

OTH, holy fuck is it expensive.   I bought 2 comics from different vendors last night on ebay, and the total (w/ shipping) was less than this one..  (Admittedly it's slightly over 2 comics in # of pages .. but one of the comics I got was a mini-trade format so it's probably close).

I could have bought 4 DC/Marvel comics and a coke for what I paid for this. ;-) Or one copy of Lazarus Risen (same # pages), and 2 DC/Marvel Comics and a coke.

Honestly, I should have just walked away as the dude REALLY doesn't want money -- but Helstar is doing the guy a great solid by posting here as I'd never have known about it.  Thanks for the updates Helstar.

HOLY SHIT.  I'm not kidding. It's now "OUT OF STOCK". (My order did go through though it seems.)

I've really given this comic way too much attention ... I HATE HATE artificial scarcity to drive interest, and this is the ONLY explanation for what we're seeing.  There is no other reason to limit the Physical copies on KS and Indigogo (it ain't the guy's first rodeo so he's doing it on purpose).

NOTE: I do NOT mind a limited run of a special cover/format. That's ok. I DO mind creating something for KS and then limiting how many people can get it at all.  I just complained about it too much that I got caught in a "WTF since I can now order it". and I'm new comics starved right now.  We'll see what it's like when it gets here.

Nor do I mind the store selling out...

More
21 May 2020 17:12 #68090 by TwiceOnThursdays
ok,now the store is not showing "Out of stock" but it was for me just a moment ago.

More
21 May 2020 20:14 - 21 May 2020 20:41 #68092 by Helstar
I am not really sure what's going on with this comic book company about this title specifically, but there is another field of my interest where this ''limited edition'' thing is in place on purpose: heavy metal vinyl market (but sometimes also for cd market).

Once all copies are sold (quickly too, mostly on pre-order), the price is immediately (or later) pushed up on Discogs by resellers who scooped the majority of copies at publication. Is there something like that for this kind of comics too ?
Last edit: 21 May 2020 20:41 by Helstar.

More
22 May 2020 08:04 #68098 by TwiceOnThursdays

Helstar wrote: I am not really sure what's going on with this comic book company about this title specifically, but there is another field of my interest where this ''limited edition'' thing is in place on purpose: heavy metal vinyl market (but sometimes also for cd market).

Once all copies are sold (quickly too, mostly on pre-order), the price is immediately (or later) pushed up on Discogs by resellers who scooped the majority of copies at publication. Is there something like that for this kind of comics too ?

It's not quite like what is going on there .. the vinyl versions are almost specialized art objects -- I wonder how many are actually played regularly? The music is still available some other way (though it might be different in the heavy metal market?  It isn't in other music markets).

There are versions of this idea in comics.  Though there are people scooping things up and selling on ebay, it's not generally a large factor.

Most of the things like that are either market oddities ... not enough people pre-ordered Mr. Miracle #1, and it was a hit so it started to sell out and buyers snapped them all up.  Then it's price for a $4 comic jumped to $20.   DC quickly got out a second printing -- which meant people who wanted it could get it.   That's just a normal market ... and it's also fairly rare.

The other case is in variant covers some are limited.  They are "1:25 variants" (or 1:50), meaning the store has to order 25 of the main cover to get one of the variant cover (the insides are still the same)..  That makes it extremely limited and rare.  the cover price might be $4, but they're often sold immediately for much more.  I don't mind this, more art is created and some people really get off on collecting and tracking them so .. meh.  Enjoy.

But in the case the company sold out of the kickstarter. Immediately did a Indigogo and then sold out of it. Then made copies for immediate sale.  None of that makes any sense to me.  I don't know how you sell out of a kickstarter or Indigogo for the normal version of your comic.

As I said, they owe you a great big thanks for keeping people here in the loop.

More
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds