Amount

New Supergirl Comic: Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow

02 Mar 2021 23:57 #70618 by TwiceOnThursdays
New Supergirl Comic: Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow was created by TwiceOnThursdays
Tim King is writing an 8 issue mini series starting Supergirl.  King is most recently known for writing The Vision (the mini-series is a strong inspiration for WandaVision), Mister Miracle (a really strange and wonderful take on Mr. Miracle) and he's currently doing Adam Strange where it's very much a similar take, revisiting the concept of Adam Strange through a modern lens.  What's  intersting is that in all these he doesn't ignore existing canon, but uses it to inform a new/deeper take/view of the character.

OTH, I haven't really found Batman/Catwoman all that great yet ... but Vision, Mr. Miracle and Adam Strange are all excellent and are far from normal comic book fare.  They're great examples to disprove that Marvel/DC can't release good comics. 

Consiering how many here (and I am one) think that Supergirl writing has always missed out digging into how she's different from Superman -- she's actually raised on Krypton and came to Earth as a teenager -- Superman is biologically from Krypton but psychologically from Kansas.  Considering King's track record it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.  It's been a long time since I was excited about a Supergirl comic.  He's not infalliable, but he does tend to swing for things, which means I'll likely either love this or hate it.

Quoting from his tweet (which is more than most of the news stories have):  

Just out!
@BilquisEvely
and I are doing a new Supergirl series! We’re already pretty far along and it’s so damn beautiful. This is a book about courage and loss, vengeance and mercy. It’s very much in the tradition of Superman Up in the Sky, a good person traveling a hard road.

source:  

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, MisterK, rednecko, Agent00Soul, Brad2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • TwiceOnThursdays's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Mar 2021 05:44 #70621 by shadar
This looks encouraging, but is definitely going to be a different kind of story about Kara.

But as long as they don't muck around with her history and they portray her as making honorable decisions in the gray morality of helping someone seek revenge for the death of their entire planet, I'm probably good for the ride. 

Gotta be a lot of emotions involved when helping another teenage girl to deal with the death of her planet, when its unclear how much Kara has gotten over having Krypton explode as she left. 

It also appears they are using the TV backstory (Smallville and Supergirl TV where she is sent from Krypton to care for young Kal El), as opposed to silver and bronze age comics (and the 1984 movie) where she came from the Argo City space colony.

Despite being a fan of early Supergirl in the comics, 60's through early 80's until she was killed, I prefer the setup of "older cousin sent to care for baby Kal El but got stuck in a time warp" story.

What's important is that those are mind-bending traumas, far beyond anything any human has experienced. It's at the very edge of our imagination to consider what we'd feel like if we were the last survivor of Earth after some alien bad guy blew it and everyone on it to smithereans. 

Interesting new series,  for sure... I'll be reading. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 Mar 2021 11:49 #70622 by Zenta
Oh, that is a neat costume design. Very cool boots as well.

More
04 Mar 2021 07:23 #70629 by marcoasalazarm2
Replied by marcoasalazarm2 on topic New Supergirl Comic: Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow
I and a absolutely no trust for Tom King. The guy is the one who gave us “Heroes In Crisis”, the grand story of Wally West: accidental mass murderer.

Heck, the advertisements say that Kara or her companions are gonna commit a *war crime* early in the story. I absolutely am not looking forward to that.

And overall there’s nothing in the advertised tale that has not been told before, and with King at the helm, I am not looking forward to be told again, especially because it swears this is the story that will define Kara from now on.

So that is how DC keeps pitching Kara, again and again and again, in stories that take place now or a hundred years from now: scarred almost beyond functionality by the destruction of Krypton, and always ticked off about a hundred things, one of the top being always being on Clark’s shadow (to the point that if the plot has her coming to blows with other members of her family, she is most definitely eager to do so).

For Pete’s sake, get another melody to sing with this girl already!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2

More
04 Mar 2021 17:31 #70635 by shadar

marcoasalazarm2 wrote: I and a absolutely no trust for Tom King. The guy is the one who gave us “Heroes In Crisis”, the grand story of Wally West: accidental mass murderer.

Heck, the advertisements say that Kara or her companions are gonna commit a *war crime* early in the story. I absolutely am not looking forward to that.

And overall there’s nothing in the advertised tale that has not been told before, and with King at the helm, I am not looking forward to be told again, especially because it swears this is the story that will define Kara from now on.

So that is how DC keeps pitching Kara, again and again and again, in stories that take place now or a hundred years from now: scarred almost beyond functionality by the destruction of Krypton, and always ticked off about a hundred things, one of the top being always being on Clark’s shadow (to the point that if the plot has her coming to blows with other members of her family, she is most definitely eager to do so).

For Pete’s sake, get another melody to sing with this girl already!

I hope this isn't how it turns out, but its too early to know. None of us know. But admitedly, there are a lot of ways for this to fail and ony a few for it to work for me. 

I'm just glad we have another chance to see another significant attempt at a Kara storyline. And I'll remain optimistic no matter what, at least until I see the published result for myself.  There are good Kara stories to be told. Hopefully someone will. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
05 Mar 2021 01:47 #70639 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Supergirl Comic: Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow

marcoasalazarm2 wrote: I and a absolutely no trust for Tom King. The guy is the one who gave us “Heroes In Crisis”, the grand story of Wally West: accidental mass murderer.

And this is fair -- though every writer swing and misses.   I love Robinson's Starman, and think it's on the list of best runs in comics.  His JSA is pretty great too.  HIs run on JLA?  Yeah, don't read that.

Heroes in Crisis had a great background premise .. but that ending with Wally West a murderer?  It's puts the story in "some of the worst comics" camp, and that stink is hard to shake.

But Vision was excellent.  MIster Miracle was pretty amazing too, a giant blend of WTF in the right way.  He seems to be turning Adam Strange into a war criminal, but the story so far is interesting.... we'll see how he sticks that landing.  He's dealing with how stressful it would be to be Adam Strange.

But what he did to Wally is a crime.

He can do a lot better than Heroes In Crisis, and I hope he will here.  I certainly hope he doesn't forget that in modern telling Krypton was destroyed on purpose by Rogol Zaar, and Supergirl went after him, but she wasn't going to kill him.

I guess I'd rather have a hopeful outlook, just seems an easier way to live.

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • TwiceOnThursdays's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds