Amount

SG Concept Art and Interview

30 May 2007 23:58 #9434 by Random321

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
31 May 2007 10:12 #9437 by mercblue22
Replied by mercblue22 on topic Nice!
Wooooow,
Thats some pretty sexy Supergirl arts there. She doesn't look as anorexic as she did in the new series in these. Either way, these are great, thanks Random for sharing these. :)

Fonzie

More
05 Jun 2007 03:10 #9452 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
Thanks for sharing Random, but I disagree with Merc... this has to be the least 'sexy' version of Supergirl I've ever seen. Color me nonplussed.

More
05 Jun 2007 13:26 #9455 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
Maybe inking and color would make a difference, but these sketches don't turn me on, either.

More
05 Jun 2007 14:31 #9456 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I think I saw an Adam's apple in one of the sketches!! The only thing I can say is its better than the art of late!! People were all over Churchill at the beginning for his waif-ish Turneresque style, and while it did have its uncomfortable moments, at least it was dynamic.

This new guy's concept art looks very static to me (not to mention frumpy at times). The one saving grace is that concept art usually looks "plain" and spices up a lot when its incorporated into panels. Hopefully, this is true, cause not that psyched right now.....

We need Nicola Scott or Will Conrad....

Peace
ELF

Maybe inking and color would make a difference, but these sketches don't turn me on, either.

More
05 Jun 2007 16:48 #9460 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I agree with the others. I'm not too excited by that concept art. She looks too "plain jane"ish.

I mean, she's Supergirl, from another planet. Otherworldly. She shouldn't look all frumpy like that.

More
05 Jun 2007 20:31 #9465 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I suspect that DC has gotten a lot of criticism for the way Supergirl has been drawn ever since her re-appearance -- the exaggeratedly large eyes, pouty lips, elongated torso and legs, etc.

I can see where some people might think that these sketches go too far in the opposite direction. Personally, I like what I'm seeing here. It's refreshing to see the character drawn like an actual girl, rather than an idealized fantasy image.

As for Lfan's gripe that the drawings are too "static" -- I think their purpose is to show Supergirl in a variety of poses and from a variety of angles for reference purposes. When the new artist's first issues come out, we can see how Kara looks in action -- at least I hope so.

I do have one complaint. It's nice to see the artist get rid of that little ribbon that Supergirl wore instead of a skirt ... but what he's given her instead is shapeless and frumpy. It definitely needs streamlining. No reason it can't be chic and sexy without being sluttish.

And as Brantley says, inks and colors are bound to make a difference.

Color me "cautiously optimistic" about the new team. (They can't be worse than the current one ... can they?)

More
06 Jun 2007 04:20 #9468 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I'm on the fence. On the one hand I'm tired of the current "would you please eat a steak" supergirl. I happen to like Al Rio and Benes Supergirl the best from what little attention I manage to pay to the artist names. I am however worried about this art. I think it will look better with her in action ~ but she does look a little too beefy. It's the legs that are WAY off to me. That and the rank boots sketch is a little disturbing.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Jun 2007 07:03 #9470 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
My guess is that nothing is set in stone just yet. My bet is on a more realistic looking girl, but I would almost put down $1000 that she will not be a "dog". They have to fix those boots! Now that Paris is in jail, perhaps DC no longer wants to use her as a role model!

More
06 Jun 2007 13:52 #9471 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I hope you are right Ace, but one thing that could be said for the concept artist -- he was consistent. Each pic looked equally dowdy! I still hold hope that they'll get Nicola Scott soon as nobody can draw a sexy woman like a sexy woman herself (trivia: Ms. Scott is/was an actress who was one of the finalists for the role of WW on the ill-fated TV concept remake back in 1998 or so. Alexandra Paul :P was chosen but alas it was never made...)

Anyways, for Ms Scott's resume all you have to do is pick up Birds of Prey as she is the current artist on that....

As for Kara's book....I'll hope like the rest of ya'll....

ElF

My guess is that nothing is set in stone just yet. My bet is on a more realistic looking girl, but I would almost put down $1000 that she will not be a "dog". They have to fix those boots! Now that Paris is in jail, perhaps DC no longer wants to use her as a role model!

More
07 Jun 2007 06:17 #9478 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SG Concept Art and Interview
I have changed my mind. I knew I had seen those ulgy boots somewhere, and then I remembered where. A quick look through my teen aged daughter's closest turned them up. They are the new trendy Ugg boots.

shop.nordstrom.com/S/2836785/0~2376778~2...;pbo=2375178&P=1

If I have learned anything in my 40+ years of reading comics, they always tend to represent the culture at the time, be it mini skirts, or these ulgy boots! I think we are going to be stuck here. Do you think she will still be blonde?

More
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds