Amount

"I Wish I Was Kryptonian" Art Contest Updates/Ideas

29 Jul 2014 04:36 #37545 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas

argonaut wrote: I just commissioned an entry from an artist whose work caught my eye at DeviantArt. Any other sponsors out there?

Steelknight is right -- even with the deadline 2 1/2 months away, there are commission artists who still wouldn't get the job finished on time. TGK and the Fraim brothers are excellent artists who work closely with their clients (submitting roughs for approval or suggestions) and who finish commissions promptly (1-2 weeks). Any other recommended artists?

I think there are a number of artists out there who won't have an issue with a 2 month turnaround. I know some who will but there are plenty who,won't. Off top,of head, Adrianna Tavares, Stacy Raven, AberrantKitty, and Ken Hunt come to mind as artists that are great in rms of turnaround speed and communication.

I'm n the process of sponsoring a piece as well if I can flesh out my idea a little more.....

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Jul 2014 05:27 #37547 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas
I will likely commission something for an artist to add to the list. (Maybe two things). This is a topic that I like. ;-) Not everything is in my gallery, but aside from the "no nudity" clause I've a few images in my gallery that would fit if they weren't ineligible for being out already! (you might need to go to my commissions favorites folder to find some, as I didn't get permission to post them into my gallery). (A few of Super-Zatanna.)

I have this long list of artists, and links to their commission info (for some of them), and for DA, links to some images I like. Only some of them do I know how fast they are. But it'd take effort to clean it up to post it somewhere. I might try to do that, I have more than a few artists that I've not commissioned that I want to.

Of the artists I've commissioned, the ones that would finish in two months (esp if you start now), and told them when it was needed (this is probably not complete, nor is it in any real order). Samples in my DA Gallery and in the artists galleries (natch). Feel free to send me a note here or DA if you want to know more about working with them (or any artist I've commissioned).

my DA Gallery

msonia ( I think she is the artist who LISTENS the best, she's very open about input, corrections -- and she often does the right thing and figures out if I'm mentioning X, then what is REALLY wrong is Y and changing a bunch of things and making an image I already loved, just that much better.)
didi-esmeralda (she drew my avatar here. And I love working with her, she's just so open and sweet. She was the first person I commissioned on DA, and made the experience great and fun, and it's why I've continued to commission her. So I'd LOVE it if someone here showed her some love and commissioned something! Esp if you say that Cerebus873 on DeviantArt sent you.)
Lexi Kimble
roemesquita
mro16 (though I'm probably going to commission him)
ellinsworth (A bit pricer than the others here, but he does good work, and gives a different feel, I love his Supergirl/woman changing in the phone booth). Plus the images he did for me are great, I REALLY love the Zatanna he did for me.)
mangapym (he often has sales. And for me has been pretty quick.)
talitapersi (You might need to check her queue. I forget how long my commission really took from her -- I generally don't care about such things. But I seemed to recall < 1 month.)
clc1997 (but he's temporarily closed new submissions, probably not for long, if he's working on things he ends up being pretty fast.)

Sadly, not on this list:

Harpokrates -- he's currently "in exhile' (vacation) and i'm not sure when he comes back. Also, only pencils (and inks), so you might have to get it colored by someone if you want maximum effect, and then that leads to who gets the money (etc). Love his art though.

Elizabeth Torque - unless she becomes un-busy, she's been swamped with work. The first time I commissioned her she was between assignments and finished two pieces < 1 week. And they were astounding. (She is so super-aweome it's not even funny. She drew Lfan's avatar -- it's something I commissioned from her. ;-))

I probably missed a few.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
29 Jul 2014 05:38 #37548 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas
I'll second Stacy Raven and AberrantKitty. I love them both. They weren't on my list. I said it wasn't complete!

I use Stacy as a colorist, and she is just fantastic. But using a secondary colorist is good/bad for this content, it add complexity to the entry, and you'd REALLY need to make sure the penciler knows that she was going to color an that it was going to be entered into a contest. Not a big deal. But it's part of respecting both artists....

She also draws too (And I love to see her draw more!)

Both have also done really quick turnarounds for rme (Stacy drew, inked, and colored the Zatanna she did for me in a few days). She ripped through inking/coloring several Jay pieces (~4) < 2 weeks (while I know she was doing other things, as she posted them to DA).

Both are quite fast enough to get this done -- doubly so if you tell them the deadline when you commission them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
01 Aug 2014 14:37 #37591 by lfan
Response to the contest has been pretty good so far, but I still need everyone's help in spreading the word. Right now, I have about 4-5 definites from artists (a few that I'm REALLY excited about) and about 8-9 possibly/probably responses. In addition, I know of at least 3 "sponsored" commissions that are in the works from our members! Curious if anyone else out there is sponsoring an artist.....don't need to share your idea, but I'm just curious if people were doing that option.....

Stay tuned!
ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Aug 2014 21:49 #37650 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas
Idea:

How about a straight photo contest. No Manipulation, no Photoshop beyond adjusting contrast, just taking a photo and seeing what we can do with a supergirl theme.

If your clever about it.......

More
06 Aug 2014 20:52 #37654 by lfan
If anybody is online, one of the submitting artists just informed me she's livestreaming her drawing right now:

www.livestream.com/cyberaqua

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Aug 2014 13:44 #37660 by lfan
Proud to say we got our first entry sent in last night (only 2 months early, and it is nothing short of incredible! If this is a sign of thing to come, everyone is in for a treat come mid October!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, Random321

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Aug 2014 14:44 #37686 by lfan
Someone was asking before about possibly artists for contest commissions, and while I cannot vouch for all of these, here is a good resource:

sexy-commissions.deviantart.com/

Regarding the contest itself, it is still a ways away but I'm VERY encouraged by the responses I've gotten back from various artists (GOOD artists) who say they plan to participate. I realize nothing is definite until I receive the entries (I've received TWO so far already!), but if the trend holds it should blow the previous themed galleries out of the water!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Aug 2014 04:48 #37711 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas

lfan wrote: If anybody is online, one of the submitting artists just informed me she's livestreaming her drawing right now:

www.livestream.com/cyberaqua

ElF

Now that's cool! I can't watch the replay right now (time is short) - but what a great idea to encourage fan involvement and show the work that goes into a piece. I looks like we/I might be able to watch the "saved" videos - so I'll have to come back to this later to get a sneak peek.

More
14 Aug 2014 16:57 #37743 by lfan
UPDATE: Just got an email from an artist confirming their participation which pushes us over THIRTY verbal confirmations of entries by various artists. I expect some drop-offs or no-shows but thought I'd update the members here on what should be the highest participation we've had for any contest at SWM. #excited

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Sarge395, Susan Donym, Random321, Markiehoe

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Aug 2014 21:08 #37798 by lfan
Some FAQ:

What size should my entry be?
All entries should be at least A4/letter in size at a resolution no smaller than 300 dpi. There is a good chance we'll scale them down for presentation purposes but will link to the full-sized original.

Do I Need to include a writeup with my entry?
It is not required by the submitting artist, but short 1-3 sentence write-ups are welcome and encouraged. If you do NOT submit a writeup (again, not required), we will think up one for the picture. The following is a sample writeup for the Invincible Beauty example (larafan.deviantart.com/art/Rev…: "In this Elseworld Fairy Tale, the good fairy Merriweather manages cast a very special spell on the spindle of the spinning wheel. When the young princess pricks her finger as prophesized by Maleficent, she does not die or fall sleep, but instead finds herself imbued with the strength and power of 1000 men thus becoming Invincible Beauty!" '"

How strict to the entries have to be with Kryptonian?
The powers and scenes depicted should showcase the POWERS of a Kryptonian (e.g. superstrength, invulnerability, etc), but the image does not have to involve a 'big red S' or even acknowledge Superman or Supergirl. The word Kryptonian was used to just generalize the power set. Again, check the sample images that are included in the original contest post: larafan.deviantart.com/journal…

How many entries are we allowed?
Each submitting artist is allowed up to three (3) entries.

Can I win more than one prize if I submit multiple pics?
I like your confidence! Sure, if you think you're good enough to pull off the trifecta, go for it!

Will my name be listed?

Yes, your name and webpage/link/email will be affixed to your posted entry unless you specifically say you do not want it to be there.

How does voting work?

Voting will be open to registered members of our website, Superwomenmania.com, only. This will help prevent any "popularity contests" or "robot voters" which sometimes taint these contests. We also will NOT be posting the current votes until AFTER voting concludes. This is also being done intentionally to prevent 'tampering' of vote totals.

Voters will vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd from all the entries. Pts will be awarded as 3 points for first, 2 points for second, and 1 point for third. The TOTAL number of points received will determine the final standings which will be posted on or around Oct 31st, 2014.

Where do I send my art?
Submissions can be emailed to contest@superwomenmania.com. We recently have been having mail server issues with the account that we hope to resolve soon, but if you get bouncebacks or want to make sure we received it, you can also send a copy to larafan22@yahoo.com. I will try and send an "email receipt" saying I've received your pic, so if you do not get one, please let me know!

What if I don't have Paypal?
Right now, Paypal is the required method of payment for the prizes. I cannot guarantee I can fulfill other methods of payment, but if you contact me ahead of time, we MIGHT be able to come to another arrangement.

What is the "Sponsored" entry and how does that work?
The concept of the sponsored entry was conceived for the members of the website that might have a cool idea in mind but can't draw for shit! In this scenario -- at least in my head -- the 'sponsor' would commission a piece of artwork (and pay for it) with the clear notion and agreement of entering it into the contest "together". The commissioner and artist would agree to some kind of arrangement (50-50, 60-40, 90-10) on how they would split the profits should the piece win. That agreement, is solely between the artist and the commissioner! The part in the rules where I say pay outs will be made only to the artist merely was a 'safety clause' because I wanted to make sure the artist got paid and did not get screwed over. Also, it protects against random people stealing art and saying they commissioned it. I hope that clears things up a little bit if I was vague before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Aug 2014 15:08 #37822 by Susan Donym
Replied by Susan Donym on topic Art Contest Content/Ideas

lfan wrote: UPDATE: Just got an email from an artist confirming their participation which pushes us over THIRTY verbal confirmations of entries by various artists. I expect some drop-offs or no-shows but thought I'd update the members here on what should be the highest participation we've had for any contest at SWM. #excited

ElF

When will we see the entries? This sounds awesome!

More
22 Aug 2014 15:44 #37826 by lfan

Susan Donym wrote:

lfan wrote: UPDATE: Just got an email from an artist confirming their participation which pushes us over THIRTY verbal confirmations of entries by various artists. I expect some drop-offs or no-shows but thought I'd update the members here on what should be the highest participation we've had for any contest at SWM. #excited

ElF

When will we see the entries? This sounds awesome!

Entries will be posted shortly after the deadline, which is Oct 15th...after that, voting will open and run till Oct 31st.

ElF

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Oct 2014 15:29 #38353 by lfan
Just a thread bump and a reminder that ALL submissions will be required to be submitted to me (contest@superwomenmania.com) by 11:59pm EST on Oct 15th. There will be NO EXTENSION!

Contest submission posting and voting will follow shortly thereafter.

As an update, we have some AWESOME entries already with a few more that I know of on the way......I think people will be pleased with some of the works. Quite remarkably, only one artist has submitted the same character as another one so there will be some nice variety across alot of concepts/properties for everyone!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Oct 2014 17:14 - 14 Oct 2014 17:15 #38518 by lfan
Last Call for entries!!! Tomorrow evening, Wed, Oct 15th at 11:59pm EST is the deadline for submitting your entries and being eligible for the cash prizes! Right now, we have some fantastic entries and are hoping for a few more before the clock strikes midnight tomorrow!

All the entries will be posted on Thursday morning along with the voting poll, so be sure to check back and vote for your faves!

ElF
Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 17:15 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds