Amount

New superheroine series in the Shonen JUMP lineup!

18 May 2015 11:33 - 18 May 2015 11:39 #42135 by Gliblord
Hi all, I've posted infrequently on this forum and have some stories in the library. Currently I'm doing the fan translation for another weekly superhero-centric series running in JUMP, the phenomenal must-read My Hero Academia ( Read right to left! ). It's about a boy who finds himself one of the precious few in a world of superpowers born without one, but who struggles to achieve his dream of becoming a superhero who saves people with a smile! No female feats of strength yet, but I'd stay tuned!

If you're unfamiliar with how the magazine works, it constantly replaces series that aren't garnering enough fan votes with new ones, aiming for nothing but the cream of the crop of the manga world. It is beyond cutthroat, and serializations that don't gather enough steam are mercilessly axed in short order. That being said, I wouldn't get my hopes too radically high, but all the same...

Imagine my surprise to find out that one of the latest batch of serializations touches upon none other than our favorite topic! Feast your eyes on LADY JUSTICE!!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Apart from the standard strength and flight package, she's also got weirdly heterochromatic eye powers--her left eye sees far and through objects, and her right eye can detect whether people have evil intent. A fair chunk of the first chapter is dedicated to how she grew up having to modulate her insane car-lifting power and flight even as a baby, so she's pretty damn up there in terms of strength level. Also, she totally decimates a car and laments that she let slip AS MUCH AS 0.2% of her strength B)

Here are some more images:

Now, from having read the big first chapter, I honestly don't see the series lasting very long at all. For one thing, it's very generic fanservice--not exactly uncommon in the manga world. For another thing, there's not really any very strong hook. It's no My Hero Academia. Plus, there are some elements that might turn you off, like how she's only 16, and how her typical clothes damage scene and subsequent embarrassment are played for titillation.

Last edit: 18 May 2015 11:39 by Gliblord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Sarge395, superfunk, steelknight3000, slim36, bionicskillz, ChaozCloud, SCOTT R, Lulu, rednecko, Agent00Soul, KarkClent, cristian01984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gliblord
  • Gliblord's Avatar Topic Author
More
18 May 2015 12:21 #42136 by Woodclaw

Gliblord wrote: Hi all, I've posted infrequently on this forum and have some stories in the library. Currently I'm doing the fan translation for another weekly superhero-centric series running in JUMP, the phenomenal must-read My Hero Academia ( Read right to left! ). It's about a boy who finds himself one of the precious few in a world of superpowers born without one, but who struggles to achieve his dream of becoming a superhero who saves people with a smile! No female feats of strength yet, but I'd stay tuned!

If you're unfamiliar with how the magazine works, it constantly replaces series that aren't garnering enough fan votes with new ones, aiming for nothing but the cream of the crop of the manga world. It is beyond cutthroat, and serializations that don't gather enough steam are mercilessly axed in short order. That being said, I wouldn't get my hopes too radically high, but all the same...

Imagine my surprise to find out that one of the latest batch of serializations touches upon none other than our favorite topic! Feast your eyes on LADY JUSTICE!!

Knowing how editors think, I guess that they greenlighted this series to capitalize on the current hype Supergirl and the genre in general. I feel that this might go down in a really short while, given that Shonen Jump target audience tend to have issues with female protagonists in the long run.

More
18 May 2015 12:29 #42137 by SHTL
please where I can download Lady Justice !!!

More
18 May 2015 13:16 #42138 by Gliblord
It's not been officially translated yet (nor will it probably ever be) but naturally I'm trying to get my scanlation group to do it. I'm translating the first chapter as we speak. The only version available now is the original Japanese (now out on store shelves and online through the official digital version of Japanside JUMP)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SHTL

• Gliblord
More
18 May 2015 13:23 #42139 by Gliblord
I doubt that's what it's capitalizing on; really it's just another in a long, long line of fanservice series catering to the fantasy of loser guys becoming love interests to insanely superior girls, whether it's insanely strong martial artist girls (see Ikki Tousen, Dragons Rioting) or, as in this case, a straight up born superheroine

• Gliblord
More
18 May 2015 14:01 #42140 by SHTL
thank you for your quick reply, but what's the site where i can download the digital version please, I can't find.

More
18 May 2015 14:32 #42141 by SHTL
probably i found how to do, we must register and then download the digital version with charge.

More
18 May 2015 15:27 #42142 by Gliblord
I supplied all the non-baby super feats already, and a free fan translation is underway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SHTL

• Gliblord
More
18 May 2015 20:47 #42152 by ChaozCloud
God damn!

imgur.com/a/f6SJP Full chapter 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Sarge395, Wotan45, rieputra, bach2990

More
18 May 2015 20:53 #42153 by bach2990
nice

More
18 May 2015 21:14 #42155 by Caylane
Funny enough, there is even a Stan Lee cameo

More
18 May 2015 21:15 #42156 by ChaozCloud

Gliblord wrote: I doubt that's what it's capitalizing on; really it's just another in a long, long line of fanservice series catering to the fantasy of loser guys becoming love interests to insanely superior girls, whether it's insanely strong martial artist girls (see Ikki Tousen, Dragons Rioting) or, as in this case, a straight up born superheroine

Seeing as this is a shounen that's very probable. But the scariest part about it being a shounen is that the girl will most likely become inferior to the boy sooner or later, usually in some retarded way. Hopefully it goes the Medaka route and keeps the girl on the top.

More
18 May 2015 22:44 #42159 by Gliblord

ChaozCloud wrote:

Gliblord wrote: I doubt that's what it's capitalizing on; really it's just another in a long, long line of fanservice series catering to the fantasy of loser guys becoming love interests to insanely superior girls, whether it's insanely strong martial artist girls (see Ikki Tousen, Dragons Rioting) or, as in this case, a straight up born superheroine

Seeing as this is a shounen that's very probable. But the scariest part about it being a shounen is that the girl will most likely become inferior to the boy sooner or later, usually in some retarded way. Hopefully it goes the Medaka route and keeps the girl on the top.

Given that the whole premise of the series is a budding romance between a wimpy admirer of superheroes and an absurdly powerful superheroine, it's not like he's going to become like Naruto and outstrip everyone else; he's just going to be the person who sees the panty shots

• Gliblord
More
18 May 2015 22:51 #42160 by Gliblord
Question for all you fine folks: If a punch at merely 0.2% of her full strength is able to punch a clear hole through a car and cause the ground beneath to fissure, what would a full strength punch (500 times as powerful) do!?

• Gliblord
More
18 May 2015 23:23 #42161 by AuGoose
Give off fatal flashes of x-rays as she causes non-critical-event "sparkles" of atomic fusion?

Read up on the "Tunguska Event" for what happens when something hits the Earth really hard but doesn't actually poke a hole in it. ;)

More
18 May 2015 23:31 #42162 by fats
reading the last post reminded me of this

what-if.xkcd.com/1/

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 May 2015 06:35 #42166 by ChaozCloud

Gliblord wrote: Question for all you fine folks: If a punch at merely 0.2% of her full strength is able to punch a clear hole through a car and cause the ground beneath to fissure, what would a full strength punch (500 times as powerful) do!?

0.2%? This just keeps getting better :P

More
19 May 2015 07:39 - 19 May 2015 07:40 #42168 by Gliblord
This is actually something I've been thinking about for a while now, but is there some kind of reference scale of super-strength force that would be useful in measuring the strength of a supergirl? Like, 10X human strength would be capable of such and such, 100X human strength would be capable of punching through steel, etc. etc.?
Last edit: 19 May 2015 07:40 by Gliblord.

• Gliblord
More
19 May 2015 08:14 #42169 by Woodclaw

Gliblord wrote: This is actually something I've been thinking about for a while now, but is there some kind of reference scale of super-strength force that would be useful in measuring the strength of a supergirl? Like, 10X human strength would be capable of such and such, 100X human strength would be capable of punching through steel, etc. etc.?

The problem would be to determine what a 1x human strength equates to. Given that the scale of strength -- or any element of human physiology for what matter -- varies wildly between people that would be the logical first step.

More
19 May 2015 15:35 #42177 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New superheroine series in the Shonen JUMP lineup!

Woodclaw wrote:

Gliblord wrote: This is actually something I've been thinking about for a while now, but is there some kind of reference scale of super-strength force that would be useful in measuring the strength of a supergirl? Like, 10X human strength would be capable of such and such, 100X human strength would be capable of punching through steel, etc. etc.?

The problem would be to determine what a 1x human strength equates to. Given that the scale of strength -- or any element of human physiology for what matter -- varies wildly between people that would be the logical first step.

I would think that this would normally be the person is 10x stronger.

As Woodclaw said, Humans have a wide variance in strength levels. The best bench press is 1100 lbs. An average woman can't bench 110lbs so if she were made 10x stronger, she'd not be stronger than the strongest man, though there would be few people as strong as she was. She still would not hit with that much force or be able to lift that much off the ground without getting leverage/position unless she had increased body weight. It'd be weird to fight someone with that much strength, some blows would be feeble (no body weight behind them, so no force) others she'd have leverage/bracing and could use her full strength and she'd hit like a mule.

But even someone "weak" (bench 50 lbs) would suddenly be VERY strong (high percentiles in strength for either sex). (replace with other measures of strength). That is a weak woman would be stronger than almost all men. Put one way: if she could work out with 5lb dumbells, she could replace them with 50 lbs ones. Most men can't do that if they are working out correctly and aren't throwing weight around just to do so. (now after some weight training, more men could do this, but most men don't, just like most women don't.)

Though if "super strength" came with some better response to exercise (esp something like 10x better response), then it's pretty easy for a woman to be able to bench 110 lbs (and not look too out of place in normal clothing), and is something most women can achieve with weight training. So if this is true with some focus and effort she's stronger than anyone else. If it's coupled with 10x endurance, then she'd be able to perform at max longer, and could likely take out the strongest men by holding their strength and letting them tire themselves out. And most athletes can give 80% max for a long time...so she'd probably never tire. It's possible after minor training that doing things like ultra marathons are trivial.

So 10x is "stronger than almost anyone" but for most women it's not "outside human capability" (though it'd seem pretty fantastic, as the Strongest men can easily lift/move things that I can't even budge).

100x is where it starts to get problematic with figuring out what someone can actually do. That "fit woman" benching 110 lbs can suddenly bench 11,000 lbs, or 5.5 tons. That's lift a car/probably bend steel/etc. Again, some things are realistically not possible with strength -- some things would break if lifted by human hands, some things a human can't get leverage to lift (their strength would pull them down, not life the object up).

OTH this is the level of realism that is hand waved away in almost every story with super strength. I don't care HOW strong you are, you can't hold down a helicopter with super strength standing on flat ground (different if you hook a foot against a brace). Only your weight matters in holding down the helicopter. Same thing for stopping a car. The friction from your feet on the ground, it's not enough to stop a car/train.

Of course flying changing this, as suddenly the person has a force vector to resist movement. In other words they "fly" to remain in place, and then the car can't move them.... (Well, depending on how their flight works, in comics it's almost always physics defying).

Feh. I think about these things too much. ;-)

More
19 May 2015 19:40 - 19 May 2015 19:45 #42186 by AuGoose
I play with this a lot in the Lioness - she's very, very strong, probably in the x100-x500 range. But she's not super massive, so the amount of force she can apply is almost entirely limited by her ability to "fly in place" which at this point in the story mostly lets her simulate a mass of about 800 pounds and is very limited by her concentration. It's why she makes fun of boxing - without the extra mass she's terrible at it when fighting other supers. She can easily hit things hard enough to launch herself flying because in an impact like that the lighter object moves and she's usually the lighter object. But in a bear hug or her preferred "pinching" attacks she doesn't try to transfer momentum - she can apply direct pressure and there her strength is able to play out fully. She can cut a solid steel cylinder in half with a single quick gesture if she can get her arms around it - a beam she could punch all afternoon with hardly any effect. Same thing takes place in her fights with other supers on the receiving end. She's a tall, heavily built girl... probably weighs about 210. When means when someone with super strength and enhanced mass hits her, she goes flying.

Extreme strength starts to generate really strange effects. First off you have to have a certain amount of invulnerability or you'll just pulverize yourself. The exact form of that invulnerability can be written a number of ways and it greatly affects the exercise of your strength. Some characters are super hard or extremely dense - a way of explaining why their bones -- the pivot points for all the force being exerted -- don't shatter. Taylor (again the example most on my mind lately) has a sort of "smart" durability - she seems as flexible and pliable as a normal person right up to the point where she would suffer damage - and then she doesn't bend or compress any further for ANYTHING. The explanation for that will be a big deal in the setting because its about the most convenient/humanizing version of invulnerability imaginable. She's only invulnerable when it matters.

Then its the question of leverage. Not just "you can't lift that, it would crumple around your hands" but also "so you have grabbed it at a place where its meant to be jacked into the air.... and your feet start sinking into the ground..." You're easily strong enough to concentrate weight until to exceed the loadbearing properties of a footprint-sized piece of even the strongest bedrock. In comes the power of flight to try and cover up the madness. As with the famous superman animated series clip "World of Carboard" you're not just being careful of cardboard walls... you're standing on cardboard too.

In a recent chat I got to thinking about infinite strength characters. These people could accidentally be tearing holes in physics as we know them. While speed it a huge factor in breaking the world (that baseball link was GREAT btw :)) strength/invulnerability lets you exert pressure. For the infinite strength character you could very well end up with neutronium dust dripping from your fingers when you rub them together hard enough - atomic nuclei being smashed into degenerate lumps. Gamma rays abound!

But most ubergirls hang out well below that point. I think it's more a matter of determining what you want them capable of narratively and then working through the consequences.
Last edit: 19 May 2015 19:45 by AuGoose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
21 May 2015 10:28 #42223 by gotham_knight
Replied by gotham_knight on topic New superheroine series in the Shonen JUMP lineup!
Here is a RAW link for some other pages from the manga.

tieba.baidu.com/p/3075430449
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, ChaozCloud, Lulu, bach2990

More
21 May 2015 12:22 #42224 by bach2990
Is it One shot? For me It looks like a one shot. wow for a one shot, I think.

More
21 May 2015 13:14 #42225 by shadar

Woodclaw wrote:

When I was putting the AU together way back in the day, I assumed that 1x (what I called NHI - Normal Human Index) was the strength of the strongest recorded human of natural genetics. Think of your massive male lifter who can bench a 1100 pounds or so. Once you have 1x nailed, the rest is easy to calculate.

Then there is the essential paired concept of invulnerability. I didn't want Velorians to feel like they were carved out of steel, so the idea was a nano force field generated by every cell in their body which operated as a 5th order exponential. Small and slow deflections (such as one could exert with their hands) would appear to be human normal, but increase the deformation and/or speed of deformation of their flesh, and that 5th order exponential would ensure that resistance to further deformation would quickly soar off the charts. So even a low-power subsonic bullet would dimple skin a fair bit, but the rapidly increasing resistance driven by rate and deformation distance would stop even a canon shell or rail gun.

Getting shot with an automatic weapon would cover their body with dimples and ripples, depending on the inherent firmness of the flesh struck, hair flying wildly as the force of the bullets was absorbed and then deflected. Punching a Vel with your fist wouldn't hurt you very much, because fists are weak and slow, and it might knock her off her feet if she wasn't prepared. It would be like punching a very large man. But if she tensed up first and made herself hard, then it might break your wrist, depending on where you struck her. Cheekbone would be very different than a boob, for instance.

Same goes for flight, which is a conscious thing. Catching a surprise high-caliber round in the chest would send a Velorian flying backward and head over heels. It happens too fast for them to see and adjust to, and involves absorbing hundreds of foot-pounds of force. Given that flight is a conscious function that involves tensing of muscles to develop force (tensing muscles forces Orgone conversion in the cells of the body which generates free energy that can be directed). So getting shot with a canon would likely send them flying backward a hundred meters or more, or even through a wall or vehicle. That's many thousands or tens of thousands of foot-pounds. Unless they tensed their body and concentrated on making themselves rigid first, at which point she might not move more than few inches.

Human reaction time and perceptions can't be speeded up too much without suffering immense perceptual changes, which would be very disorienting. Think super slow-motion. Nobody wants to live that way. So reaction times are not much different than human. That limits their ability to move quickly.

The reason for all this was to allow Vels to pass as humans, even in very intimate settings. I tossed in the idea that a gold choker suppressed their thyroid gland which in turn controls Orgone metabolism. That reduces/prevents the metabolism of Orgone, which says that the powers of flight, super strength, heat vision, etc. are dampened to zero. But the fifth-order binding of the forcefield in their tissues remains unchanged, so other than a very slowly applied force of great power (think of getting hugged by Superman's full strength, very slowly), they are still invulnerable. Also that their muscles were made of two kinds of contractile strands -- normal ones that are at the upper end of human, powered by glucose as per normal, and a small number of other strands that respond only to Orgone energy and are vastly stronger. Without Orgone metabolism working, then you get normal strength.

The reason? Dealing with emotional and orgasmic physical reactions. Vels range from 200NHI to 4000NHI in strength (remember, 1 NHI is the strongest possible human male), so if you scale up everything you know about intimate female responses to orgasm and combine that with superstrength, then no human is going to survive such an encounter without some help from science. And given I wanted my Vels to be notoriously promiscuous (both culturally and given they are freed from any negative physical consequences for their behavior). How many healthy human females would change their behavior if there was zero risk of injury, disease, pregnancy, etc? Sexual mores (from a female perception) are often grounded in self-preservation.

Anyway, as anyone who tries to make sense out of comic book powers finds quickly, you have to invent a lot of pseudo-science to explain things. But it can be done in various ways that take powers out of the "magical" category and into the range of science.

The original comic writers didn't think this through very well, which then becomes our job when we try to bring "rational reality" into the picture.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
26 May 2015 08:41 #42362 by ChaozCloud
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Lulu, bach2990, AuGoose

More
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds