Amount

Transformatrix 4000 -- Comments and Suggestions

11 Mar 2007 08:56 #8580 by yaracyrrah
I think I need to ask this explicitly, because I'm confused: what exactly is problematic about over-powered characters? The obvious problem is that they tend to steal *the story* from the protagonists, but I had that under control and just didn't do a good job of making that clear. My plan for Klyburn's succession of guinea pigs was that they would be a series of problems which couldn't be solved by brawn but could be solved by brain; and, when solved, those characters would be ushered more or less off stage (to Tales, perhaps) while the protagonists got on with the main thread of tracking Klyburn (and the other personal side-plots they have going). If that creates a problem I'm not seeing, we'll abandon it, but please show me the problem so I don't keep tripping over it.

Assuming we do want to go a different direction, the following new laws of physics will cover it:

1. Any application of a Transformatrix to an existing transformee has only a temporary effect. Sorry, Regina. (This also makes things more difficult for Klyburn herself, but she'll find a way around it eventually.)

2. There's only so much transforming a normal human can take. Tiff is the limit; anything more than that will kill the subject before the transformation can take hold. (Perhaps Klyburn accidentally vaporized several earlier test subjects before she scaled the T5000 down to where it still worked safely.)

I will admit to having a personal preference for leaving the universe open to characters of higher power levels; perhaps I'm just misreading how powerful the T4000s are, but to me it looks like they're not unlimited, even physically. But obviously that's a decision that should be made by the group, and I think at this point it would probably be a good idea to make it explicitly. Comments?

--Y

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 14:53 #8581 by argonaut
Well, since I'm the only one who's expressed a reservation about the new story-line, I guess I should answer that.

I don't have a problem with extra-powerful super-women per se. I love an uber-catfight as much as the next SWManiac, and this story-line has great potential in that respect!

My only concern was that the story might become stuck in a rut by introducing an endless succession of uber-transformees and uber-uber-transformees and uiber-uber-uber-transformees ad infinitum. But maybe you're right -- perhaps I'm not giving my fellow-writers enough credit.

Your two "ground rules" take care of my reservation, neatly and effectively. Let's make those "official" and move ahead with the story-so-far (which I've enjoyed very much).

Y: It looks as if you got my message. I assume my idea for a new chapter doesn't interfere with your long-range plans?

• argonaut
  • argonaut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Mar 2007 16:49 #8584 by ultragirl

Well, since I'm the only one who's expressed a reservation about the new story-line, I guess I should answer that.

I don't have a problem with extra-powerful super-women per se. I love an uber-catfight as much as the next SWManiac, and this story-line has great potential in that respect!

My only concern was that the story might become stuck in a rut by introducing an endless succession of uber-transformees and uber-uber-transformees and uiber-uber-uber-transformees ad infinitum. But maybe you're right -- perhaps I'm not giving my fellow-writers enough credit.

Your two "ground rules" take care of my reservation, neatly and effectively. Let's make those "official" and move ahead with the story-so-far (which I've enjoyed very much).

Y: It looks as if you got my message. I assume my idea for a new chapter doesn't interfere with your long-range plans?

I had mentioned before that Denise would have to pay a price for her extra power. I really didn't want to reveal it just yet. She's headed to a "hospital" despite her healing, and we'll find out then. It may help with the rules for the crazy-powered girls.

More
11 Mar 2007 19:23 #8588 by argonaut
Here are some thumbnail personality profiles for the quintet of super-women who are on Dr. Klyburn's trail (for the benefit of writers who want to tell them apart):

1. Lois Lane -- The consummate super-heroine (even more so than Kara) and the natural leader of the group. Picked up the ropes of super-heroing in the course of her long relationship with Superman (whose powers have vanished). Can juggle tanks and crush solid steel with the best of them, but also a level-headed strategist who looks at all sides of a situation. A tough, independent-minded investigative journalist. As "Ultrawoman," has taken Superman's place as the super-hero(ine) of Metropolis.

2. DeeAnn Donovan -- Feisty and fun-loving. Gets a charge out of being super and enjoys any opportunity to put her powers to the test. A bit of a show-off at times. A fitness model before her transformation, she is possibly the strongest of the transformess (at least until Denise's "power boost") -- although she's only 5'2" tall. Took the name "Superwoman" (and wore a costume to match) in the first story-arc, but now spends most of her time running her agency "Super Models Incorporated." Still, always ready to help her friends in an emergency -- especially if it promises a good scrap.

3. Kara Zor-El -- The original Supergirl. Less powerful than the transformees, but her experience as a super-heroine makes her a valuable member of the team. Has passed on the sobriquet "Supergirl" to Amber Slater. Still wears one of her old costumes and goes on patrol regularly, but now spends most of her time as a teacher/administrator at a newly founded academy for would-be super-heroines. Romantically involved with transformee Jill Henderson, though Jill's reluctance to bcome a costumed super-heroine has introduced some tension into their relationship.

4. Amber Slater -- At 17, the youngest of the group. Has taken the name "Supergirl," and is determined to live up to its legacy. A student at the super-heroine academy, but often goes into action as Supergirl (usually under Kara's watchful eye). Has performed some notable rescues and has been called "America's Super Sweetheart." Dedicated and altruistic, but still something of an innocent. Kara and Lois will be watching her back. Amber may prove to be hesitant when it comes to engaging in direct combat (unless her boy-friend Bobby Franklin is threatened ... )

5. Lana Lang -- A reporter for a Metropolis television station. Unlike Lois, somewhat impetuous -- inclined to tackle problems directly, without considering the larger picture. She's been fighting organized crime in Metropolis and generating some controvery by her methods. Civil libertarians accuse her of invasion of privacy (she uses her super-vision to follow suspected mobsters). She's inadvertently derailed a couple of undercover police operations. And since footage of her "citizen's arrests" wind up on her television station, her motives and her journalistic ethics have been questioned. But the citizens of Metropolis have taken the red-headed super-reporter to their hearts, follow her exploits avidly, and credit her with the drop in their city's crime rate. [This is all in a story I plan to post on the "Tales" thread.]

Anyway, that's how I see them.

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Mar 2007 19:05 #8641 by lfan
Consider it started:
www.superwomenmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1269

ElF

Perhaps starting another Interactive storyline thread?

If other people are like me, there's no telling what will strike their fancy and inspire them to put fingers to keyboard, so it would not be a bad plan to throw lots of Interactive starts at the wall and see which ones people take up.

--Y[/quote]

More
12 Mar 2007 20:59 #8647 by Spulo
I have an idea too that I'm hoping to post before the weekend...

More
17 Mar 2007 12:21 #8713 by Sarge395
Argonaut,

That is some great stuff with Regina!

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Mar 2007 02:25 #8722 by argonaut
Thanks, Sarge! :D Glad you liked it.

Regina's about as far as I'm ever likely to go in the "super bad girl" direction, but she was fun to write. And I guess every "genre" writer has to get off at least one "bullets and breasts" scene, so this was mine.

Not much ubergirl action in the chapter I just posted (unless you count reading a list at super-speed), but I'll try to make up for that in my next installment.

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Mar 2007 02:48 #8740 by argonaut
Okay, I lied. I didn't have much time for writing today, and my new chapter doesn't feature any ubergirl action either. But I hope to include a cheerleader-versus-football-team scene in the next installment!

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Mar 2007 17:17 #8751 by ultragirl
Quick update to check in on Denise, Collin, and Lois. 8)

More
21 Mar 2007 04:02 #8762 by argonaut
And then back to Regina.

CASTING:

Gretchen Wieners ... Lacey Chabert

lacey-chabert.us/gallery/displayimage.ph...=7456&fullsize=1

Regina George ... Rachel McAdams

www.rachelmcadams.org/gallery/displayima...12768&fullsize=1

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Mar 2007 12:31 #8767 by Berkhart
Argonaut, definitely enjoying the Regina storyline. Great stuff, and I can't wait to read the upcoming installments.

Also, this line was money:

"So we're dealing with a self-centered, manipulative, super-powered queen bee with the ability to alter her appearance ... and she can control people's minds?"

Sounds like my kind of super girl!

More
21 Mar 2007 13:52 #8771 by argonaut
Thanks, Berkhart! :D

Where have you been? We haven't heard from you in a while.

When will we see more of Ayami ... and Super Gail Kim? ( May I suggest "Gail Force" as a nom de guerre for Ms. Kim -- or has that been done?)

I'm planning one, maybe two, more installments of the Regina story. Then I'll let someone else pick it up. Maybe someone could find a way to tie it in to the main plot-line ...

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Mar 2007 13:57 #8772 by argonaut

Also, this line was money:

"So we're dealing with a self-centered, manipulative, super-powered queen bee with the ability to alter her appearance ... and she can control people's minds?"

Sounds like my kind of super girl!

This just occurred to me:

Ms. Norbury's description of Regina is quite appropriate, since "regina" is the Latin word for "queen."

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Mar 2007 13:46 #8779 by Berkhart
I still stop in, but don't usually stay too long. Haven't really had much of a chance to sit down and write much lately either. Hopefully things will slow down in the next couple of months.

I like the "Gail Force" title...might have to steal it...

Anyway, keep the good stuff coming!

More
05 Apr 2007 04:57 #8922 by argonaut
I'm going to take a sabbatical from the interactive story, so anyone who cares to pick up where my last chapter left off is welcome to do so.

I had a couple of weeks of "slack time" last month, but things are getting busy again, and my workshop partners have first claim on whatever time I can find for writing.

I'm afraid I was becoming a "story hog" anyway. In hindsight, maybe I should have posted the Regina chapters on the "Tales" thread.

But Regina was fun to write, and I appreciate the nice feedback I got from a few of you. Now it's someone else's turn!

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Oct 2007 21:56 #10509 by sgfan05
Can anyone continue the story or no? I saw Argonaut had updated Transformatirx V.2 and was wondering if it was okay to contribute or are set people directing the story. Thanks.

More
09 Oct 2007 22:24 #10510 by ultragirl

Can anyone continue the story or no? I saw Argonaut had updated Transformatirx V.2 and was wondering if it was okay to contribute or are set people directing the story. Thanks.

Anyone can go for it!

It just gets confusing when characters start becoming "bi-polar", if you know what I mean. :wink:

I look forward to seeing what you got.

More
09 Oct 2007 22:32 #10511 by argonaut
It's an interactive story. Anyone can add to it at any time. I posted the new chapter in the hope that it might get the story moving again.

I do have a pretty specific idea of where the story can go from this point. sgfan, send me a private message if you'd like details. But feel free to take the story in whatever direction you'd like. I've been hogging it long enough!

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Oct 2007 00:00 #10623 by argonaut
In the past few weeks, I've gotten messages from a couple of writers asking about my plans for the interactive story.

Once again -- I don't own the story. Anyone can jump in at any time.

However ... I do have ideas for wrapping up the Regina sub-plot and steering the story back toward Tiff. Another couple of chapters should accomplish that. Then the story will be wide open for other writers.

I haven't been very active on this forum lately: The Red Sox have been absorbing most of my "discretionary time." But I'll try to get a new chapter started before the World Series gets under way on Wednesday.

GO SOX!

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Oct 2007 18:13 #10637 by Spulo
Have to admit, I got completely lost on TFK mk 2. There suddenly seemed to be about one hundred characters, each with varying levels of powers... :oops:

Have been trying to write a new T4K story, centering around Kara and Jill, but all I've got so far is a quick housewarming party scene...

More
24 Oct 2007 08:21 #10642 by Woodclaw

Have to admit, I got completely lost on TFK mk 2. There suddenly seemed to be about one hundred characters, each with varying levels of powers... :oops:

Have been trying to write a new T4K story, centering around Kara and Jill, but all I've got so far is a quick housewarming party scene...

More or less I have the same problem with my entry. I tried to continue the story about Jackie and Kelly, I was able to figure the main events, but not to write them down in a good form. :oops: :oops:

Maybe creating a list of the characters, detailing the most important elements (base of operations, feelings about being a TF, general personality traits, special powers or skills) of each one and also if any of us would like to put any restriction over his or hers characters, could be a good idea. Let me know.

More
24 Oct 2007 16:35 #10649 by argonaut
Since "Three Months Later," only two transformees have joined the cast -- Tiff and Gracie.

As for the "varying levels of power" -- Tiff and Regina have had their powers boosted by a modified version of the Transformatrix developed by Janet Klyburn. Denise's strength has been enhanced as a by-product of some testing she's undergone. I think that's it. I hope that if / when the current story-line gets wrapped up, we'll go back to the status quo ante -- no more uber-transformees and uber-uber-transformees. As Spulo points out, that makes it hard to keep the players straight.

A while ago, someone suggested that each transformee might have a unique ability (e.g., telekinesis, morphing) in addition to the standard super-powers. I still think that's a bad idea. Readers and would-be writers would need scorecards to keep the characters and their powers straight.

But a "Who's Who of the T4000 Universe" might be a useful thread. A while ago, I posted profiles of Lois, DeeAnn, Amber, Kara, and Jill. Maybe anyone who adds a transformee to the cast could post a description along the lines that Anon suggested.

• argonaut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Oct 2007 18:17 #10650 by Spulo

A while ago, someone suggested that each transformee might have a unique ability (e.g., telekinesis, morphing) in addition to the standard super-powers. I still think that's a bad idea.

Yeah, what idiot came up with that one?

*checks*

Hmm. It's not a bad idea, in principle...

More
24 Oct 2007 21:51 #10652 by yaracyrrah
Speaking of "what idiot came up with that one?": my point in creating uber-uber adversaries wasn't the uber-uber, it was the adversaries: a "normal" transformatrix can't get away with anything really naughty with an entire group of heroines on duty (witness Paris Hilton, one-and-done). I also hoped that starting more story threads--which were intended to be concurrent and perhaps overlapping but still fundamentally separate--would make more room for new contributors to jump in. (As would having more villains, since the board includes a lot of villain fans who weren't getting much satisfaction from the heroine-focused story.) It wasn't a bad idea in principle ;) ... but it didn't work. Oh well. Sorry about that.

(I also hadn't expected Tiff to be as dangerous as Ultragirl read her; I'd expected her to give the heroines a good pummeling, but not to seriously injure them (Laura's broken jaw was intended as the upper limit).)

If I ran the zoo, I would resolve the Tiff thread as follows. The posse Kara and Jill called in will get smacked around a bit but will eventually force Tiff to flee: stalemate. Then Laura will come up with idea of rejiggering the Lotos machine to get Tiff to calm down. She'll use some sort of lure to get Tiff to come near the machine, and the machine will calm Tiff down enough to get her to listen to reason, and she can move offstage to where I can use her if I want her but the rest of you don't have to deal with her :) . Would that work for everyone?

More
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds