Amount

Superman: Man of Steel

05 Aug 2011 22:34 - 05 Aug 2011 22:41 #24225 by Random321
Superman: Man of Steel was created by Random321
CBM Webpage With Image

The new look of the costume is out for "Superman - Man of Steel."

It looks okay I guess. It's clear to me that the "shorts" are gone – but other people are saying you can’t tell from the picture.

I'm in the camp that Superman is not a gritty character – so I don’t know about it all - but I'm getting old I guess. <Shrug>

Plus - A bank vault?! Damn it! That has been my penultimate goal for a short at some point – and now it’s going to seem even more “copycat.”
Last edit: 05 Aug 2011 22:41 by Random321. Reason: Had to switch to Firefox to type...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Aug 2011 23:25 #24231 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel
:dry:
It would be so much better to see PowerGirl or SuperGirl smash the reinforced door!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, dr lazarus

More
31 Aug 2011 09:06 #24637 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel
The Reboot Suit: Why It's A Deal Buster for Millions of Fans - CBM
Internationally published writer and commentator Ricky David Tripp explains why the reboot Superman costume is a bad idea for DC and the film, and why he thinks millions of fans will walk away.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
31 Aug 2011 11:48 #24638 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel

Random321 wrote: Plus - A bank vault?! Damn it! That has been my penultimate goal for a short at some point – and now it’s going to seem even more “copycat.”

You have some time before the movie comes out. You could claim they copied you!

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
31 Aug 2011 21:47 #24640 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel
Goobers - Good point. :^)

Lazarus - Is this how you feel about it too?

I think the article is an interesting read. The changes to the costume are less of a concern to me - it's the assumed changes to the character and his attitude that make me sad.

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 Sep 2011 02:38 #24642 by Random321
Some new pictures from the set.

The uniform looks okay. I still greatly prefer the classic. Some of the piping on this one is distracting to me. I also think the saturation of the red in the "S" is too weak – and the yellow is nonexistent. I could deal with the color of the blue if this was just a bit bolder.

In these pictures the actor also looks better than in the safe rip promo picture.

I don't think it translates well to a female version.

Oh bleak world we live in!

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 Sep 2011 03:14 #24643 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel
I don't like the new costume, but I've always been more of a Batman fan than a Superman fan (Strange that it's the opposite when it comes to superheroines. Maybe some psychologist can figure that one out..).

I can tell you one thing, I'm not going to be suckered into seeing this movie like I saw Superman Returns. I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth from that awful movie.

More
01 Sep 2011 04:09 #24645 by Random321
Must be something to that - because I agree on both counts.

• Random321
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 Sep 2011 13:18 #24648 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel

Random321 wrote: Lazarus - Is this how you feel about it too?

Nah, I don't have a problem with the suit. I just posted it because I thought it might be of interest. While I agree with what you said about Superman not being a "gritty" character, I don't mind seeing a new take on the character. As much I loved the "original" Superman movies (well the first two, anyway), I feel a new approach might be in order. I mean, I don't think we really need another clone of Donner's Superman, which is what Superman Returns basically was, right down to John Williams' epic score and the opening credits. I agree with Jdrock24 about preferring Batman to Superman. Like some critics of Superman, I think he is well, too damn super, while Batman is at least human and vulnerable. Anyway, I'm mostly interested in Man of Steel because of Faora. I just hope that doesn't turn out to be a letdown.

Random321's comment about Supes not being a gritty character reminded me of this:

Green Lantern 2 to be wait for it...darker and edgier
Of course, darker and edgier. Pretty soon superhero movies are going to be so dark and edgy it will just be a black screen for the duration of the film with some low growling as dialogue. :laugh:

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
02 Sep 2011 00:44 #24657 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Superman: Man of Steel
Given that few of us see Superman as a "gritty" character, more likely we see him as the ultimate Boy Scout, could we ever see Supergirl as being gritty? Of her being a bit screwed up (like most teenagers are) and making lots of mistakes as she tries to sort herself out.

Of perhaps not even subscribing to Superman's vow of never taking a life. A Supergirl who decides that some people are better removed from the planet because their crimes as so abhorrent, etc. A Supergirl who isn't afraid to use overwhelming force sometimes instead of restraint like Superman. A Supergirl who is more aligned with Batman's dark side than with Superman's idealism?

Does that also ruin her character or otherwise detract from her appeal like it would with Supes?

For instance, can she have an interesting sex life (not even necessarily a straight one)? Superman's sex life has always been closer to a Priest than anything else. A good Priest.

Or are them ideas of "alternate" Supergirls merely a private pleasure and not fit for the mainstream? Should Supergirl remain as closely aligned as possible to the Superman ethos?

I'm kicking this around because the great weakness of Superman is that its hard to give him any edges. But I personally think a Supergirl movie could be edgy. She doesn't live in the same cultural straight-jacket that Kal El does.

Or am I way off base here and merely reflecting my own interest in sexy characters who break the rules? Would an edgy Supergirl be accepted in the mainstream movies when Superman might not be?

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds