Amount

Ant-Man teaser trailer

07 Jan 2015 03:25 #39734 by erikphandel
Ant-Man teaser trailer was created by erikphandel
So........
Did anybody else think this was extremely... Meh?
I'm not sold on this. At all. I really wish I was

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• erikphandel
  • erikphandel's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2015 03:36 #39735 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
Meh is the word i would use.

No real action, special effects looks "okay in the well this will probably get better but still not interesting". it all kind of boring. Ant-Man has never been a favorite of mine -but i do think it could produce an intresting looking world done small. Didn't get that at all. The costume looked bad-and i will say this i saw some of the designs in the Maiden Networks Athena looked significantly better.

I know Paul Rudd is an actor who is known for being Laconic is a word-which can be funny-but as an action hero he just looks there at best. Kind of bored, and going through the motions which is a hard thing to convey in 2 minutes.

As a trailer it felt very much of the "lets sell this guy as special, without really giving any specifics" which i don't really like in marvel trailers and most egriously it it just felt like it had no energy whatsoever. The best trailers have a sence of energy to them, of somehting happening-this one...just well felt completly flat. A couple of years ago they released a teaser video for AntMan that seemed a lot more intresting and exciting. So....

Meh.

More
07 Jan 2015 06:21 #39736 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
I think half the problem with this trailer is the music. And this might be in the running for the worst Marvel Trailer (I'd have to play them all again, but it certainly seems like this one wins by a landslide.) Of course we don't know yet. Maybe it's because it's the worst marvel movie -- we won't know until it comes out.

Just about all the sense of drama in this trailer comes from the music. Remove it, and there isn't any left. I guess a bit comes from the voice-over. And I totally get Castor's comment on "trying to make Scott seems special" without actually SHOWING us why that is. If the movie doesn't do that it'll fail. If the trailer can't convince us this is an interesting movie to watch, no on will go see it and the movie will flop. (I will go see it no matter what.)

Now the GotG trailers used music well -- but that was also music that fit into the movie and played a part. And, even so, the music was simply hitting some emotional notes, and I think the trailers worked without this. There were a MILLON trailers that were reworked with the GotG music, and frankly, for me, most of them didn't quite work as the music didn't fit the tone of the movie or of the trailer. I'm glad that Marvel isn't trying to GotG-ize every trailer, since by all accounts the GoG trailers did their job VERY WELL. I had non-comic book movie watching friends talking to me about GotG, all because of the trailers. That's about the nicest thing I can say for this trailer, at last Marvel tried to make trailer for THIS movie, and not use the technique that worked well for other movies.. ;-)

Scott Lang gets like two lines in the trailer too, it's hard to really showcase him, if you don't do anything. And really, the only person talking is Hank PYm/Michael Douglas (though I have to say, there is something different, softer, about his speech cadence here, and it's mildly interesting, and I wonder what he'll be like in the movie).

And They barely show the tiny world -- They movie will probably hinge on showing that correctly, it's where the cool Ant-Man action will happen.

This is a first trailer, and there will be more.

More
07 Jan 2015 09:21 #39737 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
I'm a bit partial to this because I really want to believe that this project has a chance, but I agree that -- as a first look -- this trailer don't give us anything solid to work with. Most of it comes around as generic, from the music to the voice-over, none of it struck any real string for someone who doesn't already know Scott Lang from the comic books.
I believe that they choose to play it safe for one of two reasons:
  1. Ant-Man is a big risk for a movie production, it's a secondary intellectual property that Marvel tried to push in the big league for years but, at the same time, it's not as unknown as Guardians of the Galaxy, which results in itgetting the worst of both worlds;
  2. there may be plans to introduce Scott (and/or Hank) through Age of Ultron or Agents of SHIELD, which requires them to keep most of their characterization under wraps for the time being.
Aside from that I really don't like Paul Rudd as a casting choice: Scott Lang is character defined mostly by his emotional connections -- especially to his daughter -- giving the role to a guy with his reputation could easily backfire.

More
07 Jan 2015 11:29 #39738 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
I liked the trailer.
Marvel has a solid record now.
People trust the brand.
All this did was wet your appetite and best of all it did not give away half the story.

More
07 Jan 2015 11:34 #39739 by Woodclaw

Markiehoe wrote: Marvel has a solid record now.
People trust the brand.
All this did was wet your appetite and best of all it did not give away half the story.

All very true, to a point. As I said I really want this project to work but, as first look, it was kind of underwhelming.

More
07 Jan 2015 15:56 #39742 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
I felt the trailer was compiled almost extemporaneously, most notably the serious tone and voiceover held in juxtaposition with Scott's quip at the end of the trailer. While the film seems to be a story of retribution and atonement from his apparent incarceration, I would have liked the trailer to showcase more of his alacrity as his embraces his role as the infinitesimal crusader. That and more gratuitous boobage from Hope Van Dyne....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Jan 2015 15:58 #39743 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
it was pants

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jan 2015 16:10 #39746 by castor
You bring up Gaurdians which is a good comparision for how to sell a Teritary Character(s) in it

1. You got an imediate sence of the world and the idea: Its a space comedy- despite in the first trailer we see very little of space. Here The idea of a small world hiest thriller(which is what i have heard this movie is good.)-don't get any sence of that here.

2. The world of GOTG never looked Generic. This looks hella generic-we get this is San Fransico which is fine..in a series of nothing looking buildings . We see several people i am assuming are villians-but thats an assumption. We see several shots of Evangiline Lilly with a gun...all of them-is she just like in one scene where she wanders around with a gun?

3. It tells us its Main character(Petter Quill) is important-but at the same time does its best to show us hes the only one who does. That does a lot to make us invested in him.

4. They have a kind of Untested comedian as its lead-but they sell him. This Comes up a lot here- Chris Pratt really did work out for the picture. Got to hand it to the guy for really building up *awesome* abs(which the trailers where quick to show). He did look like a space hero in those movies and also funny. Rudd is a little bit funny(his two lines are both jokes)-but not getting anything heroic from him. Or just any energy.

5. GOTG fist trailer you can see-the Special effects aren't really ready-not much space, very little groot or rocket. Probably as much Antman. But they did a lot of good stuff that simply didn't need Special effects. One of the beauties of GotG is how much of it is practical makeup effects. There maybe real life Minatures in Antman, but we did see-well didn't look good at all. Just a couple of CGI ants in generic looking world.

6 and yes.The Music for Gotg Was awesome, and also specific. This feels very generic.

So yeah..

I understand the brand loyality to Marvel Movies-but there just a subbrand of Disney studio. Every movie is a unique flower, and this one does to a degree sounds like a troupled one. Pixar used to be the same way before they made a couple of bad movies.

More
07 Jan 2015 16:57 #39749 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
We have seen the dull, generic world in this trailer.
We will see Ant Man's world in the next trailer.
I'm sure that will be something to see.

More
07 Jan 2015 16:58 #39750 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote: I felt the trailer was compiled almost extemporaneously, most notably the serious tone and voiceover held in juxtaposition with Scott's quip at the end of the trailer. While the film seems to be a story of retribution and atonement from his apparent incarceration, I would have liked the trailer to showcase more of his alacrity as his embraces his role as the infinitesimal crusader. That and more gratuitous boobage from Hope Van Dyne....

ElF

Considering the character of Scott Lang the retribution/atonement angle is pretty much a given.

More
08 Jan 2015 00:14 #39763 by castor
In comentary to our discussion earlier: someone already came did an edit with better music.

More
08 Jan 2015 07:18 #39766 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
That's a much better trailer. Even the comedy of "is it too late to change the name" plays better.

It seems like they tightened up the end sequence a bit? Might have to watch side by side.

Let's hope Marvel gets their act together. It's not like they don't know how to make a movie or a trailer.

More
08 Jan 2015 14:57 #39768 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Ant-Man teaser trailer
As a trailer, this really doesn't get me excited to see this movie. As a husband and father of two, I have to be pretty choosy about what movies I go see in the theater and it seems like this movie will be the first Marvel movie to not make my list. I'm sure that I will see it eventually on DVD or the internet but unless future trailers totally blow me away, I'm not paying theater prices for this.

More
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds