Amount

Ghostbusters line up has been confirmed and they are all women

28 Jan 2015 11:07 #40062 by fats
hi all,

you read that right the cast has been confirmed and they are all women, not a great cast but we will see

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31016868

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Jan 2015 14:58 #40065 by jdrock24
This seems to have Bomb written all over it...

More
28 Jan 2015 15:06 - 28 Jan 2015 15:08 #40066 by TwiceOnThursdays
Not sure what to make of this.

I sure hope they are following what the original Ghostbusters DID and not their results. The movie seems very much like it was take a basic idea, throw in a bunch of actors who are really great at improv and let them go to see what they'd do.

If they try to redo the first movie in any way, I think it'll tank. If they do their own thing, I think they at least have a shot, and even more so if they let the strengths of their chosen actors shine through. I don't know enough about this group to know what that is. They did choose writer/comediennes though. I think that's a good sign. Hopefully that means that they'll be letting these four help shape the movie.

I don't think they're trying to duplicate the original actors with their choices, which is a good thing. They did pick 2 of Bill Murray's four choices. The two new ones I don't know enough about to choose. (Murray's choices I think would have worked pretty well.)

But they're trying to re-make a classic. That's an almost impossible task. Failure is more likely than success. I guess I'm willing to let them go out and tilt at the windmill and see what they come back with. I'll make up my mind when I see trailers and hear what people say about it. Really, I wonder why they aren't just making a new movie to begin with, but I think that all the time.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 15:08 by TwiceOnThursdays.

More
28 Jan 2015 23:05 #40071 by Skye
Wow. Jones is the only one of them I can't recall having seen at the moment. Coincidentially she also is the only one of them that doesn't make me turn the TV off, close the browser tab or whatever.
This might actually be the first piece of the Ghostbusters franchise I won't even watch. (And as far as I know, I have everything else right here on DVD. I even have the novelization of the first two movies.)

:(

More
18 Feb 2015 16:55 #40454 by fats
New Ghostbusters cast pictured together for the first time

The cast of the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot have been pictured together for the first time. Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon posed for a snap together at the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary after-party at the weekend. The cast of Ghostbusters together for the first time

© Twitter / Leslie Jones

It is the first time the four comic actresses have assembled together since being announced for the new version of the popular 1980s franchise, to be directed by Paul Feig.

www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a629597...?rss#~p4Fo3JJAzZo6Bv

fats

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 Feb 2015 20:05 #40456 by castor
Ghostbusters I think are tremendiously influentual in the devolopment of modern superhero movies- and modern action movies in general. Its a comedy obviously-and a fairly loose one that has a strong improv feel--at the same time however its an action sci efi epic, with incredibly elaborate special effects, and stunts that if they are a touch goofy are still kind of impressive. And all of this for also do a good job of seeming that there for kids . You can obviously see a lot of this in Stuff like Men in Black, but Stuff like Iron man or Spiderman owe a lot to it. In a way the Ghostbusters function a lot like modern superhero movies especially of the Marvel type.There normal guys but they kind of get werid superpowers-and A lot of the stuff between the action is just them palling around.

In that sence-ths is kinda intresting.A superheroine movie not in the sence of Swimsuits or throat lifts but those scenes in the Avengers where there all one uping each other. You can read my stories to see that i am not necessairly oposed to this-i have a lot of that kind of stuff between the fights-however i certainly apreciate a ggood fight scene or a well done action or plot(something that the original Ghostbuster didn't really have). This is doable. And with the talent attached maybe even likely to be good. These are all funny actresses, and i guess the complaint that there not really supermodels isn't unfair, but neither where the originals. Good material as a comedy can work.

But i can certainly tell you- this shit is hard. Its hard to be funny. Its hard to make people care about jokes and characters when CGI is flying around. More modern tecniques have if anything made action comedy harder to really to involve in as they just can do matted puppets for 30 second and expect a reaction(well they could-there is no law that says they can't make practical effects but probabbly won't). So what i am saying- i guess i could see this working. but not sure about it.

More
18 Feb 2015 20:56 #40459 by Woodclaw

castor wrote: But i can certainly tell you- this shit is hard. Its hard to be funny. Its hard to make people care about jokes and characters when CGI is flying around. More modern tecniques have if anything made action comedy harder to really to involve in as they just can do matted puppets for 30 second and expect a reaction(well they could-there is no law that says they can't make practical effects but probabbly won't). So what i am saying- i guess i could see this working. but not sure about it.

At the cost of looking like a vintage-lover, I really think that some stuff just looks better when there's a physical presence in front of the camera. The old xenomorphs queen from Aliens was massive piece of engineering and it was impressive to behold for the viewer as it probably was for the crew. A pure CGI effect is only as good as the actors make it be. Dragonheart was one of the first big budget movie that had a pure CGI creature, what made it believeable was mostly Dennis Quaid's performance; it was a bit over the top, but produced a very enjoyable result.
CGI unlocked a great potetial in storytelling, but it's very easy to go overboard with it. For me, the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith" showcase this very clearly: the duel between Douku and Anakin looked and played in many ways like the duel between Vader and Luke at the end of "Return of the Jedi", only with worst set-up. In RotJ the duel was the constant focus of the scene, there were hints of the battle in the background, but the duelists were at the center of the stage; in RotS there is a constant stream of thing buzzing across the background, making the scene confused.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds