Amount

Felt

28 May 2015 04:26 #42423 by castor
Felt was created by castor
In the....well i am not sure if this the apprioate forrum to post this category i wanted to bring out a new Indie Movie Called Felt.

This a kind of thriller about A young Woman who in todays modern Rape culture after a sexual assults creates a new more powerful persona for herself, which gets her and the people around in trouble.

From what i have seen of it and read this is A superheroine movie in the loosest sense-if your looking for "Hey she lifts up a train" type stuff i think your in the wrong fucking theater here. This is more Distributing imagery and ideas--but it does look like ith as some intresting ideas about the genre and why it exists and why a woman would want to be strong etc. The trailer vibe i am getting is something Like "May" if your know what i am talking about.

But This is a movie i think i am going to watch when it comes out and for people who like to think about this stuff maybe intresting-but yeah who knows It does look very much from a performance artist standpoint which as someone who has been in that world isn't necessarily the most subtle-but well intresting to explore if probabbly very fucked up.

thedissolve.com/news/5798-the-red-band-t...lies-in-the-face-of/

thedissolve.com/news/5798-the-red-band-t...lies-in-the-face-of/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 May 2015 00:32 #42483 by sonofjack
Replied by sonofjack on topic Felt
I'm in the wrong fucking theater . . . .

More
31 May 2015 01:43 #42484 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Felt
This does look like a movie that will mess with your head and come at things from directions that you are used to. That makes it interesting.

I like to try to get my mind around how/why people think the way they do, and even better, new ways to look at the world.

As a 40 something white male, it is hard for me to grok what it's like for those who aren't (empathy only gets you so far, especially if you don't stop and think about things).

This movie looks like an excellent way to knock some preconceptions around and get my brain asking different questions.

Not sure I'll like it, but if it's on Netflix, some night I'll try to work my way through it. It might be too uncomfortable for me, sometimes social situation things become too much for my brain to process. (I've paused movies to go take a break to come back). Sometimes I let a scene I can't take run and go into the kitchen and get some food. I mean, The Office (British) is funny/genius, but I can't watch it. I just can't take it too long and I have to change to something else or I'll have bad crap bouncing around in my head for days. (I don't know if the US office is similar, I never watched it to find out, I had no desire to.)

The most recent show to do that to me is The Last Man on Earth. It was hilarious, but I got to the point where the awkward social humor I couldn't take. I mean I enjoyed it, first two episodes and then, fought my way to the third and I've not gone back since. (I thought it was a pretty fresh/nice comedy too, I just can't take it.)

Does depend on my mood (sometimes I can take more than others).

And those are comedies that soften the blow... this looks high octane, and I'd might not be able to take it for long. (Note: that doesn't mean it's bad, actually it means that it might just be a bit too good.)

More
31 May 2015 06:42 #42487 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Felt

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: This does look like a movie that will mess with your head and come at things from directions that you are used to. That makes it interesting.

I like to try to get my mind around how/why people think the way they do, and even better, new ways to look at the world.

As a 40 something white male, it is hard for me to grok what it's like for those who aren't (empathy only gets you so far, especially if you don't stop and think about things).

This movie looks like an excellent way to knock some preconceptions around and get my brain asking different questions.

Not sure I'll like it, but if it's on Netflix, some night I'll try to work my way through it. It might be too uncomfortable for me, sometimes social situation things become too much for my brain to process. (I've paused movies to go take a break to come back). Sometimes I let a scene I can't take run and go into the kitchen and get some food. I mean, The Office (British) is funny/genius, but I can't watch it. I just can't take it too long and I have to change to something else or I'll have bad crap bouncing around in my head for days. (I don't know if the US office is similar, I never watched it to find out, I had no desire to.)

The most recent show to do that to me is The Last Man on Earth. It was hilarious, but I got to the point where the awkward social humor I couldn't take. I mean I enjoyed it, first two episodes and then, fought my way to the third and I've not gone back since. (I thought it was a pretty fresh/nice comedy too, I just can't take it.)

Does depend on my mood (sometimes I can take more than others).

And those are comedies that soften the blow... this looks high octane, and I'd might not be able to take it for long. (Note: that doesn't mean it's bad, actually it means that it might just be a bit too good.)

I like to think of myself as open-minded, and in the past, I loved pushing boundaries, but I'm finding as I get older it becomes harder to enjoy having my brain tweaked this way. I got into GOT until the Sansa rape scene, and same for Outlander until the season ender, which was also too much for me. This show looks similar. I suspect my brain at 66 isn't as elastic as it used to be when it comes to violence and rape.

At one time I was thrilled when something or someone pushed my mind past my comfort limit. I learned and then reset my limit a bit further out. That felt like growth. Now when I'm pushed that way, it gets very uncomfortable, and afterward, my limit snaps back close to where it was. My comfort bubble seems to be full expanded, and there is still a lot of things outside it.

So far, this is my most discouraging discovery about getting older.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 Jul 2015 02:21 - 24 Jul 2015 02:29 #43312 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Felt
About a month ago i read a very uptrox peice about Transman reasons for changing genders. He gave a very list of reason e. 5 in particuarl "As a man you are never told that rape or sexual assult is a bad thing or wrong"

As male i can say: i have heard some version of that many times in my life. I specifically had to attend a class on that when entering college, and a second one went back to it, as well several lectures in high school etc. In short that is not true.

of course all of the items on the list where nothing about men as people who like sports fix cars, or have external genetalia-all about how they are better and society treats them then women-cause women get the short fucking stick right? I am not entirely sure the article was 100 percent serious...but

And if any of that is true-and some of it is-paygap, etc....it still a pretty reason to do something so dramatic with ones life like change gender. in particuar changing genders so one can exist in a state where one can rape women and not have it be precived wrong. you dont want to pathologize transgenderism...but yeah.

Which is a way of saying this is Felt. Which is this article the movie.

And i kind of liked it.

This is a movie about Amy(Amy Eckerson) who after serious but unspecifed trauma is trying to cope with the rest of her life, and a world thats either well meaning but usless friends or men everyone of whom turns out to be completly repugnant. . Shes an Artist who makes elaborate Felt Body suits of male characters-strong male characters... an after a further incident with a man things happen...

this is a lot of dark stuff, that is more done as a horror movie. the climax...is very disturbing, and the movie has an almost uniformly bleak tone to it thats hopless bleak etc(though it has a couple of funny momments).

About six months ago i wrote a long post about Rape and assult as drama-and this is that. There really isn't peril elements as you see in stuff on bondage sites..but it is there. oh it is there. I can't say i felt better about it here-but it is more integrated into the story- especially for the tone--becuse this is all about consiquence. This is what it does to someone..and it is not pretty.

The film is based on emerson who is a performance artist when not acting and her work with masks-she cowrote the movie and that really infuses every ellemnt of the film. This is a thriller, but it is inline with a lot of ellements of What i would called Performance genre. In the first act, you introduce the character, at the beggining of the second you see what there basic peice is...and in the third act...a plot happens--which when you think of it isn't that diffrent then Superhero movies who often have a rigiousrly defined ploting like this.

This does feel like a superhero movie and if its not really an ubergirl example of it (god no it ain't)...it does explore some of the ideas why a woman would want to happen--not good reasons but reasons- if your intrested in some of the ideas of the genre it is intresting-this is the darkest movie i could imagine on the subject.

Though in certain measure s the last act goes and it turns more into what you could recognize as a superhero movie-you know what its not bad. Agian if your looking for it lift up a train not here...but the way its organized shot and done a...its better done then Antman . Which is a point. in a world where Superhero movies often seem to be lets find more obscure superheros...this one does to a certain extent has a lot going on in its head, helps make you feel more invested even though this is a no budget movies It helps that the movie is kind of short at 80 minutes and doesn't wear out its welcome.

And To tie it to article This is a movie all about POV, of one persons journey through life as she sees it-is this the real world? I don't think sthere are people here who may find this intresting-not anyones cup of tea-but intresting.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2015 02:29 by castor.

• castor
  • castor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds