Amount

New Batman vs Superman trailer

03 Dec 2015 11:25 #45479 by fats
New Batman vs Superman trailer was created by fats
Hi all,

here is the new trailer for the film that's been on development for years.

spoiler alert!!!!

Don't watch as it gives away ALOT of the the story line.



Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: alternate_histories

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Online
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
03 Dec 2015 12:15 #45481 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Ye not really sure why the trailer felt the need to give SO many plot details away. I thought the first trailer was much better, giving a feel for the film without outlining the plot totally.

Now I feel I don't have to watch the film at all.

Strange move by Warner Oo. Perhaps they felt they needed to get something fresh out now that Capt. America: Civil War trailer dropped.

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 13:20 #45482 by garthrim
Replied by garthrim on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
ANNNNNND....... I just saved my money. nice screen shot of the trinity though. I am oddly whelmed (not over or under) about Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman. and I can only hope that the writers did her justice.

Thank you for sharing
~G~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 15:31 #45484 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Well this a second trailer and second trailers as i have said before are tricky things-as they have the responsibility of you know telling the plot...

This looks good. I think this does a good job of crafting three good characters and intresting ways. Like what they did with Clark Kent, Lex Luthor got some good lines...

That said from a perspective...one of the big lines i heard was...ooh Domesday what is he doing here?

Well movies have 3 acts, and i don't you think you make Batman Vs Superman your climax-thats your second act. So you need something for your climax.

however well if this is to belived-we don't see Wonder Woman till the third act(at least in costume fighting) so that means shes probabbly not going to be in the movie until the last 20 minutes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
03 Dec 2015 18:03 #45488 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Still looks awesome and I am looking forward to it.

However, I will agree that this trailer had several problems. First, the stark contrast in tone to the first trailer was jarring. I mean, this was almost like watching a Marvel movie with all the camp/jokes in it. Not that there is anything wrong with Marvel movies but the joke-a-minute shtick is their bag, not WB/DC.

Second, the music was terrible. It didn't make me feel any tension in the movie at all, unlike the first trailer.

Third, I will agree with those that say it gave away too much of the plot. Yes, those of us that have followed this movie's development already knew most of it but I would have liked to have gone into the theater not knowing exactly who the Big Bad was.

It looks like they tried to do a 180 from the last trailer and went too far. Maybe they did it to contrast Batman (Dark, 1st trailer) and Superman (Light, 2nd trailer), I don't know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 19:38 - 03 Dec 2015 19:47 #45489 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

jdrock24 wrote: Still looks awesome and I am looking forward to it.

However, I will agree that this trailer had several problems. First, the stark contrast in tone to the first trailer was jarring. I mean, this was almost like watching a Marvel movie with all the camp/jokes in it. Not that there is anything wrong with Marvel movies but the joke-a-minute shtick is their bag, not WB/DC.


Well in fairness i think the wrap-marvel movies comedy, DC movies serious wrap is a bit overblown. Taking out Green Lantern which i think was very much trying to be a Marvel Movie, and iIncredible Hulk which isn't try really for Comedy the DC films have all had a fair amount of humor.

The Batman Movies had Micheal Cane and Morgan Freeman who where both kinda being the comic relief, and largely treated 'Bruce Wayne' as a comic character.

theres this:


and while some of the jokes in it are out of context, i would 75% is that was funny in the movie.

In someways to your point Man of Steel was a more dour movie, though it to had a fair amount of comedy in places, though it was less hey this is the comedy guy-If anything Lois Lane was the comedy character or the character who could make a joke now and then. It was dark and brooding-but not like totally.

This is in contrast to marvel which has done stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 2 both of which i would classify Comedys first action movies second(and not entirely sucseful versions of them), but yeah. I would argue something like Winter Solder is about as Serious as Batman Begins or in the ballpark.

So this does feel of the tone of the DC movies to date-and most of the jokes have been in there weelhouse of "Yeah we know what a comicbook movie is where just not doing that quite" which ehh works.

Castor
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 19:47 by castor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Dec 2015 00:07 #45494 by alternate_histories
Replied by alternate_histories on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Hmm, awesome to see Wonder Woman save Batman like that... and that pose is pretty much 'you guys came here to squabble; I'm here to FIGHT', which is great.
However the film seems to be making the exact same mistake Spiderman 3 made; too many characters crammed together.
...But then, the Avengers films seem to be able to pull it off, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 01:49 #45499 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Saw it today. It was pretty confusing, but then I guess the story itself must be confusing. Was likely a stupid idea to begin with.

--Brantley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • brantley
  • brantley's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
04 Dec 2015 09:05 #45502 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

alternate_histories wrote: Hmm, awesome to see Wonder Woman save Batman like that... and that pose is pretty much 'you guys came here to squabble; I'm here to FIGHT', which is great.
However the film seems to be making the exact same mistake Spiderman 3 made; too many characters crammed together.
...But then, the Avengers films seem to be able to pull it off, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.


The big trick Avengers pulled was that five main characters out of seven (including I count Fury and Black Widow for half each) and the main villain were already established in previous installments, which provided plenty more space to create good team building and action sequences. In my mind the issue with most team movies is that you have to pull out three tasks at the same time: establishing characters, creating the team and advancing the main plot. Spiderman 3 was a crash because it tried to establish too many new characters at once (if I remember right Raimi didn't want to include Venom, but the production forced him to).

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 11:33 #45504 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Yup. Marvel built up each of the main characters in Avengers using their solo films. This gave them space to develop backstory, character and establish key narrative points in each of those films and bring them to a conclusion in the team-ups. I tend to think of each of Marvels films as a chapter in a book.

DC and Warner seem to have either misunderstood this or, probably more accurately, thought "The Avengers made a over a BILLION dollars! What do we have? Justice League. How do we get there as QUICK as possible??" So to make up a LOT of time, they have jammed Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman et all, into one film that was probably going to be Man of Steel 2. And then they have will explore those characters in their solo films at a later date. Arse-backwards to me, because in the DCCU I only know Superman. Therefore that is a lot to cram into a movie.

We'll see how this pans out.

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 20:06 #45510 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

kikass2014 wrote: Yup. Marvel built up each of the main characters in Avengers using their solo films. This gave them space to develop backstory, character and establish key narrative points in each of those films and bring them to a conclusion in the team-ups. I tend to think of each of Marvels films as a chapter in a book.

DC and Warner seem to have either misunderstood this or, probably more accurately, thought "The Avengers made a over a BILLION dollars! What do we have? Justice League. How do we get there as QUICK as possible??" So to make up a LOT of time, they have jammed Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman et all, into one film that was probably going to be Man of Steel 2. And then they have will explore those characters in their solo films at a later date. Arse-backwards to me, because in the DCCU I only know Superman. Therefore that is a lot to cram into a movie.

We'll see how this pans out.

Peace.

/K


Are you really saying that you don't know who Batman and Wonder Woman are?

They can establish Batman in this universe in one 3 minute scene. Parents shot when he was a boy: BOOM! Done!

Wonder Woman they can do the same. Just drop hints about where she comes from and what she is doing and then follow up in the solo.

The general audience knows who these heroes are and their backstory so I wouldn't be worried about them being "confused".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 21:45 #45514 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
Um, my point wasn't about the audience being confused.

And in THIS cinematic universe, no, we don't know who Batman or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman, Lex Luthor etc are.

YOU and I may KNOW who they are, and yes in pop. culture we know who they are, but in this universe we don't. If that were the case, then why did Nolan bother doing Batman's origin AGAIN in his trilogy. Or Snyder doing Superman's in Man of Steel? You see my point?

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 00:56 #45516 by alternate_histories
Replied by alternate_histories on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
I have to agree with Kikass; everyone knows who Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are, but not within this continuity; in fact, this trailer establishes that even they don't know who Wonder Woman is.
The fact that they're setting up a fight between Batman and Superman, then shoving in Wonder Woman AND Doomsday - the force of nature that actually KILLED Superman - does not bode well for me, especially if the rumours are true and Wonder Woman is only on screen for a small part of the film.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 04:14 #45520 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

kikass2014 wrote: Um, my point wasn't about the audience being confused.

And in THIS cinematic universe, no, we don't know who Batman or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman, Lex Luthor etc are.

YOU and I may KNOW who they are, and yes in pop. culture we know who they are, but in this universe we don't. If that were the case, then why did Nolan bother doing Batman's origin AGAIN in his trilogy. Or Snyder doing Superman's in Man of Steel? You see my point?

/K


That's one of the downsides of DC changing their universe to many times. Yes, everyone "knows" who the characters are, but given the radical changes between appearances of those characters in the past, what you know and what I know can be different. A significant difference in age alone between two people will ensure that, given that every decade has presented its own interpretation in the comics. That's reason #1 for redoing the origins in the current DC cinema universe. They've got to redo it their way.

Reason #2 is to maintain internal consistency in the narrative. We need to see the cinematic public (in the movie) reacting to the major characters -- who they don't know. A lot of emphasis and impact and character growth comes from that reaction. So it makes for good drama.

Marvel has fewer such problems, but they are not exempt. First thing comes to mind is HULK. The 2003 version or the 2008 version? Or the Avengers version. When someone does the next movie HULK, they will have to redo his origin so we know what to expect.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 13:42 #45522 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
I think you guys are downplaying the popularity of these heroes among the general audience. At least in the case of Batman and Wonder Woman. The other heroes will only make brief, if any at all, cameos in this movie so your concerns about them are negated.

I've heard this argument before from many fan boys: "WHY IS DC RUSHING?!! THEY SHOULD DO IT EXACTLY LIKE MARVEL!!!"

Well, they don't have to do everything like Marvel. There are different ways to set up universes. In fact, Marvel introduced a team (Guardians of the Galaxy) without each team member getting their own movie and I didn't hear anybody squawking then. Where was the Gamora solo? (I only ask that because I would like to see one). I think the way they are doing it has great potential. Wonder Woman is introduced here as a mysterious character and the audience is left wondering "I wonder what her story is?" Boom! Solo movie released the very next year. Same with the other characters.

Besides, if they did do it exactly like Marvel, then we would be subjected to the opposite fanboy screams: "THEY'RE COPYING MARVEL!!!"

When it gets down to it, why are some of us fanboys picking sides in this ancient Marvel/DC war? Can't we just enjoy the movies as they come and see how they play out before ripping them to shreds? We are living in a golden age of comic book movies and there seems to be a segment of the comic book fan base determined to bring down one company or the other. It is silly to the extreme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 16:12 - 05 Dec 2015 16:13 #45523 by JessP
Replied by JessP on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
The best part of the whole trailer? We get to see a brief glimpse of Diana Salinas (Wicked City Girls' Sasha Wylde)
How cool is THAT?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 05 Dec 2015 16:13 by JessP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats, gomaller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 16:39 #45524 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
^ Haha thnx for the spot Jess :)

On the subject of building universes, I personally am not saying that DC should copy Marvel. However, they should at least do things right. Marvel is doing it, in the main, the right way. They have had a couple of movies now, solo and team up, to establish Caps and Iron Man's characters and their relationship. Both to each other, and their cinematic universe. So, when Civil War comes out next year, there is history between them and so their actions have MUCH more gravitas as we know what they have been through. And now, they are on opposites side.

Contrast that to Batman Vs. Superman. We have no idea who Wonder Woman is or her relationship to Batman or Superman (and judging by the trailer neither of them knows her either). We don't know Batman, his story (he seems pretty old, so has obviously been through adventures) or history. The only person we do know is Superman, thanks to Man of Steel. So when these two fight, its like "meh so what". Contrast that to this sequence - Man of Steel -> Batman solo, where he has his own story, but makes connection to Superman -> Wonder Woman has her solo film to establish her, build connections to Batman -> Batman Vs. Superman, where all the 3 threads are tied up. Would that not make more sense?

Of course, they could do the way you describe and have this film and then explore each charactor in their solo film. But truly which way makes more sense, and actually adds more weight to the overall narrative?

With regards to Guardians of the Galaxy, yes there was no solo film for each of them. But not every character needs or can hold a solo film. Hulk for example, imo, cannot have a solo film. The ones he has had suck. As a character he is not interesting enough, unless the film focuses on Bruce Banner the whole time. Perhaps this is why there is no Mark Ruffolo Hulk solo film planned. Same with Black Widow (though she is more interesting then Hulk as a character), or Hawkeye. Gamora, Drax, Rocket all fall into this catagory for me. They do not NEED a solo film. They work fine as a team.

However, Batman and Wonder Woman are ICONIC. They should and need to have solo films to establish them in their respective cinematic universes. They are interesting enough, and well know enough to carry one.

Finally, and I'm sure I've said this before, this is not Marvel vs DC. I love both just as much. My comic collection probably has an equal amount of each, though my DC side is more skewed to their Vertigo titles more then anything else. I just hate seeing Warner Brothers screw up their characters with bad decisions so I point it out. And give kudos to Marvel for going about things the right way (90% of the time :P).

Peace.

/K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 18:58 #45528 by castor
Replied by castor on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

kikass2014 wrote: ^ Haha thnx for the spot Jess :)

On the subject of building universes, I personally am not saying that DC should copy Marvel. However, they should at least do things right. Marvel is doing it, in the main, the right way. They have had a couple of movies now, solo and team up, to establish Caps and Iron Man's characters and their relationship. Both to each other, and their cinematic universe. So, when Civil War comes out next year, there is history between them and so their actions have MUCH more gravitas as we know what they have been through. And now, they are on opposites side.

/K


One of the thing about this trailer that struck me is it does assume that you know who everyone on screen is.

The introduction to Bruce Wayne is carveful to revel that its Ben Afflick, but does seem right away aware that we know hes batman(oh should i have put a spoiler here sorry) not as a suprise but to start reveling more details of the plot. It does stuff like Refer to Joker, Robin and other well bat stuff that living in pop culture means you probabbly know.

(and Robins in this movie somehow-it seems really obvious there setting that up)

They make a not very bad joke about Lex Luthor that is only funny if you know hes evil-which they do tell you but not until after the joke, which i am guessing they make people luagh at(and its not a bad one)

Even Domesday-whose name is never given, and doesn't look that much 90s exteem and this is the first time they show him...depends a lot on the audience knowing who he is. I think some soccor mom might not but well...

But heres the thing. if you told me who is a more Recognizable character before 2013 or so Ant Man or Domesday-i would go probabbly with Domesday.

This is the advantage of DC movies-they don't have to explain who Wonder Woman is. the audience more or less knows. the first teaser trailer is not going to be.

And that was the strong side of the trailer-they where able to spend a minute and a half on a conversation that explained the plot who in terms these characters where but what there position was in reasons there not kinda cockimaning like Civil War..and while we do establish that say Alfred is now Jeffery Irons we don't linger on who that is to Batman.

And that does work for them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
06 Dec 2015 10:58 #45534 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar
  • Online
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
06 Dec 2015 19:59 #45536 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New Batman vs Superman trailer
That really brought me a chuckle, Markiehoe. Same shield. Stars and stripes. I never thought of paring Captain America with Wonder Woman (different universes, for one thing), but man, would that be a matchup.

They both are pure souls inside, incorruptible. They have to get into some questionable shit once in a while -- that's our world -- but they do what they have to do while never losing the good inside.

A great team-up for action and adventure, and I even see romantic connections. After all, they are both coming from a simpler but even scarier time (original appearances from around 1940's fighting Nazi's who really wanted to take over the world, and were well on their way to do so.)

If not for the fact that they are premier properties of two competing corporations... damned Capitalism. Where's Socialism when we need it? (Just kidding on the last...<grin>)

Shadar

Markiehoe wrote:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds