Amount

Suicide Squad

21 Aug 2016 02:01 #49749 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Suicide Squad
I've soft deleted the last three replies to this thread, the thread is getting a little uncivil if it continues to be that way I'll lock the thread to new posts.

Remember to be civil to one another.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2016 15:41 #49883 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Suicide Squad
Just passed 630M worldwide, as per BoxOfficeMojo:

www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=dc2016.htm

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays

More
29 Aug 2016 19:15 - 01 Sep 2016 22:22 #49886 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Suicide Squad

lfan wrote: Just passed 630M worldwide, as per BoxOfficeMojo:

www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=dc2016.htm

ElF

oh you beat me to it!! Darn you!!!

Said i would update my stats and i have

Suicide Squad has now made more money then Half of Marvel movies. its made more money then Thor, AntMan and yes the First Two Iron movies that started it. Its made more domestically then Winter Solder though foreign sales means its overall a bit less overall.

Its right now in its forth week about 10 million dollars from Thor 2: Dark World-and is almostly certainly going to pass it by next week(the big story in the second week was a drop off, but its actually keeping its money well in the last 3). There is a decent chance its going to make more then the First Man of Steel., maybe a small chance it does as well as Winter Soldier.

Profitiability wise-its made more then any of the DC movies-which is still just okay compared to the Marvel tends, but good. Its close here to Iron Man 2 (which had a lower budget)

But yes it is a more profitable movie overall then the First Iron Man Movie that started the series.

Going to see where this keeps going, especially as foreign markets lag in. Its probabbly not going to make top top numbers-there is a big ways before it makes avengers money-but as the first movie in a series its done pretty damm well-the only movie that really beats it is GOTG.

All this on a movie that was largely sold on A Female Protaginist.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 22:22 by castor.

More
29 Aug 2016 19:40 #49887 by lfan
Another interesting note to mention is that the foreign box office numbers are without the benefit of both Japan and China currently, two of the better overseas markets (which together accounted for over $100M for both SM2 and Guardians of the Galaxy)

I think Suicide Squad is getting a Japanese release in the next month, but I thought I read that China has passed on its release.

More
01 Sep 2016 03:05 #49984 by lfan
CinemaBlend forecasting 700M+ when all is said and done for Suicide Squad. Not bad for a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes....LOL

www.cinemablend.com/news/1551310/how-muc...eaves-movie-theaters

ElF

More
01 Sep 2016 11:29 #49991 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Suicide Squad
Certainly admirable, and most definatly more then I thought it would pull in. But not without precedent :p

Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen ---- (RT Score) 19% ---- (BO Gross) = $836,303,693 :S

Transformers: Age of Extinction ---- (RT Score) 18% ---- (BO Gross) = $1,104,054,072 :blink:

Castor called it pretty good, saying it would probably reach $100 million in profit. And depending on what source you believe, it is either in the black or slightly in the red (a source from WB has been quoted as SS needing $750 million to break even, but that depends on if you believe the source as legit).

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
01 Sep 2016 13:29 - 01 Sep 2016 13:31 #49994 by lfan

kikass2014 wrote: Certainly admirable, and most definatly more then I thought it would pull in. But not without precedent :p

Never said it was :)

kikass2014 wrote: Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen ---- (RT Score) 19% ---- (BO Gross) = $836,303,693 :S

Transformers: Age of Extinction ---- (RT Score) 18% ---- (BO Gross) = $1,104,054,072 :blink:

WOW! So that's why they keep churning them out! I'm probably in the minority, but I think Transformers is probably the crappiest and worst movie franchise of alltime.

kikass2014 wrote: Castor called it pretty good, saying it would probably reach $100 million in profit. And depending on what source you believe, it is either in the black or slightly in the red
(a source from WB has been quoted as SS needing $750 million to break even, but that depends on if you believe the source as legit).

While I'm certainly not in the boardroom, I find it very hard to believe that almost any movie would have to do 4X of BO-Budget to "break even". I understand the economies of scale (or lack thereof) from the foreign box offices, and I understand the studio doesn't rake 100% of the money, but that seems high to me. Like with most things in life and what I tell my kids, nothing is as good or as bad as you think it is --- it's somewhere in between. Except Gravity.....no one can convince me that Gravity wasn't as bad as I thought it was. ::P:

I have no clue where I read it, but I did read somewhere that an estimator that studios use on how much revenue a movie ultimately makes (over a 10 year span) for a studio is to multiply the worldwide BO by 1.25. This supposedly factors in negative things like worldwide BO revenue splits (i.e. studio only makes 25% of what the movie makes in Russia) as well as positive things like DVD sales, licensing to pay per view, overseas distribution deals, etc. Again, don't know the "science" of it or if its accurate, but I remember reading it somewhere on the Internet.....so it MUST be true! ::P:

ElF
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 13:31 by lfan.

More
01 Sep 2016 16:47 #50002 by kikass2014

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Transformers is probably the crappiest and worst movie franchise of all time.

I am right there with you buddy. Transformers is a stinking pile of horseshit and Micheal Bay is probably one of the worst directors ever :)

While I'm certainly not in the boardroom, I find it very hard to believe that almost any movie would have to do 4X of BO-Budget to "break even".

Determining the break-even point of a film from the outside is most certainly guess-timation territory for sure, as there are so many variables to account for. One thing is to assume that with big films like this, the production budget, as listed, is just to make the film. More than likely the advertising budget for a film like this (according to some sources) is in the region of $175 – 200 million.

With that in mind, you are looking at the film needing to recoup (let’s take the high end) $375 million to break-even. So at $700 million that’s only 2X its production cost, not 4X (I’ve met investors that required a 10x return on projects before they invest).

Like you say, the studio does not get the entire takings. Domestic is 50% (approx.) and foreign varies from 40% to 25% (approx.) depending on region. Let’s assume 50% both home and away, ignoring regional variation.

It also gets slightly more complicated with certain actors/directors/producers. Like Tom Cruise, for example, gets 1-2% of the total box office gross. I don’t know what Will Smith’s contract states, so this could be moot point. But it would mean they make less at the box office in terms of profit if he does have a similar clause. The rest of the cast and crew I would imagine don’t have the star power to demand such a clause.

So, assuming no actor/director/producer clauses, napkin math shows $700,000,000 / 2 = $375,000,000

Thus, SS, at this moment in time, is on the break-even point or slightly in the black. Which is good in that it did not lose money, but bad in that it did not return any money to the investors.

Factoring in DVD/BR sales, merchandise licensing, etc. (again studios do not get the entire share), let’s say they make $100,000,000 - $200,000,000. That’s the profit from the SS film. Which is why I said Castor was pretty close when he called it.

Again, this is not science, just guesses and logical deductions based on known facts.

Peace.

/K

P.S.

Except Gravity.....no one can convince me that Gravity wasn't as bad as I thought it was. ::P:

An interesting discussion I would like to have with you one day about how bad you thought it was and why :P

More
01 Sep 2016 16:51 #50003 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Suicide Squad
This is what I call "Hollywood Accounting"

How is it possible for a movie that makes over what you spent on it to be considered a flop?

Years ago there was a Eddie Murphy movie called "Coming to America"
It was a huge hit.
A famous journalist, whose name escapes me, sued the producers claiming they stole the idea he pitched to them.
The production company accountants "proved" the movie made no money and the case was dropped.

More
01 Sep 2016 17:20 #50006 by kikass2014

How is it possible for a movie that makes over what you spent on it to be considered a flop?

Investor thinking goes something like this:

As an investor I have $10 to invest. Product A says I will make $50 return if I invest $10. Product B says I will make $100 return if I invest $10.

1) I invest $10 in Product A and make $50. Success.
2) I invest $10 in Product B and make $30. Fail.

In both cases I made more then I put in. But if I had invested in Product A I would have made MORE, even though the top end return was lower.

A crude example for sure, but I hope it illustrates the point.

Peace.

/K

More
01 Sep 2016 18:53 #50011 by lfan
Again, it's all how Warner Brothers DECIDES to look at it. I have a feeling they'll look at 700-800M worldwide and count that as a "success" 9 times out of 10.

I won't argue the "science" of cost accounting, but will just end with the firm belief that WB continued to keep pumping out Harry Potter films, arguably one of the most succe$$ful franchises in history, and would give their left nut to make more of them. This despite the fact that Order of the Phoenix (2007) made almost a BILLION dollars worldwide and still "lost"$167 million according to some nimble studio accounting:

www.slashfilm.com/insane-studio-accounti...rder-of-the-phoenix/

#SmokeAndMirrors

ElF

More
01 Sep 2016 21:00 #50016 by kikass2014

Again, it's all how Warner Brothers DECIDES to look at it. I have a feeling they'll look at 700-800M worldwide and count that as a "success" 9 times out of 10.

Totally agree.

And yes, when it comes to taxes and stuff, yes, studios use "creative accounting" to show how much they should pay.

With regards to this thread, the underlying question and answer is:

"Will WB continue to make DCEU films?" Answer: "Yes" ($700,000,000 is still bank)

And really that's pretty much all that's left to say I guess. \O/

Peace.

/K

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds