Amount

Lost in Space 2018 Robot

24 Apr 2018 02:47 #59249 by slim36
Lost in Space 2018 Robot was created by slim36
The mysterious robot in the new Lost in Space Netflix series. Is the only superpowered character.

Possible spoilers follow:
Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Apr 2018 10:55 #59251 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot
Saw this last week, and I have to say, its not worth it imo.

The major criticism is its length. The season is 10 episodes, but in truth, you could have told the same story in about 5. Each one is a long slog of very little.

By compressing the story and picking up the pace, it maybe would have been more interesting. As it is, you just feel bored watching it.

The acting is really good by all the cast, though I do take issue with some of the character decisions.

Firstly, the elephant in the room, Dr. Smith. I don't mind Dr. Smith being female. In fact, Parker Posey does a pretty good job (despite some critics reviews). My problem is turning the character into a murdering sociopath. Smith on the original show was a genius and a coward. Posey's Dr. Smith has no clear motivation, and actually does some downright stupid things. She's constantly screwing people over for no clear gain.

Secondly, Judy Robinson. Again, no problem with the race change. The problem is her age and character. Judy needed to be OLDER, as the flirting with Don West comes off a bit creepy. Also, she is a little to Mary Sue. Sure, she suffers an incident early on, but apart from that, she is perfect.

Same with Maureen Robinson. Soldier, scientist, superwoman lol :D She comes across as insufferable in the first few episodes.

The changes to Don West and John Robinson are minor, but work. Sure, John isn't the perfect father, and Don is now Han Solo more or less. But at least they have flaws and quirks which make them interesting.

Penny is Penny, reminiscent of Chabert's portrayal in the 1998 film.

Will Robinson on the other hand, is the dumbest kid in the universe. He's suppose to be the boy genius, but he keeps making dumb decisions (though to be fair, he's not the only one).

And its this that I found the most annoying about the show, the dumb decisions. A lot of the drama created is very forced. You could have avoided a lot of the dangers and situations if people just TALKED to one another. That simple.

I understand drama is needed, but forced drama is awful. It should come organically, not be seen to be manufactured. This is where editing the story down would have worked better for the show.

Visually, the show is great. Though the planet they land on is a bit bland, it does have some nice alien ideas.

When all is said and done, I didn't find the show interesting enough to want to watch the 2nd season.

Not unless they make major changes to Dr. Smith and the majority of the other characters.

Just my thoughts.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
24 Apr 2018 21:21 #59258 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot
I am not quite finished with the series so I will skip the spoiler and comment later.

However this is not my Robinson Family.

More
24 Apr 2018 22:54 #59261 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot
And as usual, I actually LIKE the things I spend my time watching.

The plot struggles in places but is workable for the most part. Yes, the viewers know more than most of the characters do and that can make you a little anxious to see somebody somewhere just do a full info dump and murder some drama before it even starts, but a lot of the individual sequences add up logically. There's an extraordinary scene of parenting in one case I'll be pointing to for some years to come I think ("am I being punished?!"). The kids do a good job of being both bright and occasionally childlike. The main villain is hideously villainous. The parents are people, troubled, but trying. The power dynamics between Mr. and Mrs. Robinson are rich and feel quite plausible to me as a child of a military family.

The real stand out of the show is the visualization of the alien planet. The grid like root systems early on were brilliant for showing similar biology, but still quite strange. The critters are well done and after most of the sci fi movies of this decade its a goddam pleasure to see people on a new world EQUIPPED FOR A NEW WORLD. "Huh, it got buried... Go grab the shovels." These extra-solar colonists actually have basic tool like, you know, shovels. And pre-packed go bags. And about 25 other little details that that go a long way towards offsetting some of the forced drama in other areas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36

More
25 Apr 2018 13:55 #59268 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot
Could use one of those robots around the house and yard, especially the one with the energy weapons from episode 10. A smaller version that could zap blood sucking insects, and scare dogs from pooping.

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 May 2018 11:53 #59336 by Markiehoe
Full disclosure here.
I an a HUGE fan of the original Lost in Space. I even own the Blu Ray collection.
I idolized the Robinson family.

While I enjoyed the new Lost in Space I did not like the dysfunctional Robinson family.
In the show it was established early on that "Robinson's stick together"
Which they don't.
I hate it when a show breaks it's own rule.
It was not until episode 8 that they came together and guess what?
Things started to get done.
I did not need to see them coming together.

So in my mind I changed their names by replacing the first character with a "B"
Bohn and Baureen.
Budy, Benny, and Bill
The Bobinsons and the show worked much better for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
01 May 2018 15:13 #59337 by kikass2014

Bohn and Baureen.
Budy, Benny, and Bill

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :D So true :D

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
01 May 2018 19:21 #59341 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot

Markiehoe wrote:
Bohn and Baureen.
Budy, Benny, and Bill

Boctor Bmith?

I think this is the first rule of remakes. You need to try to let it be it's own thing. If you give it that open chance and it still doesn't work -- then it's shit on it's own merits.

That doesn't mean that a bad adaptation won't make you sad that there won't be a better more true adaptation. That's usually my take on things, that a chance for something actually good was wasted.

I do think sometimes people (in general, and in Hollywood) worry about if a property is still remembered or recognizable. There are plenty of examples of lesser known properties being made well and finding an audience. If it's "old" and "mostly forgotten" the question is why was it popular and why isn't it remembered all that well?

Lost in Space is fairly universally accessible on the face of it (a story of a family against fantastic odds for survival). Though it does rely heavily engineering a show so a robot says "Danger, Will Robinson!".

I ended up enjoying Lost in Space, it's not fantastic, but it's ok. I've seen the original (a bit) but I can't say I'm a hard core fan so it was easy for me to just ignore all that. There were parts that were really good, or that they didn't take the easy patterened way out.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
02 May 2018 02:19 #59347 by Markiehoe
Don't forget Bon Best

More
04 May 2018 17:14 #59373 by Markiehoe
Apparently some chicks really dig the Robot
www.digitalspy.com/tv/lost-in-space/news...-hot-sexy-nude-pics/

More
04 May 2018 18:01 #59374 by kikass2014

W.....................T..............................F..................!!!!!!!!:blink:

Peace.

/K

More
06 May 2018 04:35 #59386 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot

kikass2014 wrote:

W.....................T..............................F..................!!!!!!!!:blink:

Peace.

/K

\

Just more proof (as if any was needed) that there are absolutely no limit to possible turn-ons.

But what really blows me away is that someone actually knew that putting a sexy butt on a robot would be really hot to some people.

A combination of interesting and wtf.

All the myriad ways.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
06 May 2018 09:38 #59390 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Lost in Space 2018 Robot

shadar wrote:

kikass2014 wrote:

Peace.

/K

\

Just more proof (as if any was needed) that there are absolutely no limit to possible turn-ons.

But what really blows me away is that someone actually knew that putting a sexy butt on a robot would be really hot to some people.

A combination of interesting and wtf.

All the myriad ways.

Shadar

I'd like to remind you all that TVTropes discontinued the "Fetish Fuel" page after they got so many entries that someone said that literally anything can become a fetish.

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds