Amount

Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers

09 May 2007 15:27 #9189 by lfan
Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers was created by lfan
Wow! Dead topic! Wow! Dead forum!!

Well, in any case, surprised that no one has commented on SM3 yet. I mean $358M in the first weekend worldwide so SOMEONE has seen it besides me. The reviewers have been rather harsh, but evveryone I've spoken to seems to like it, myself included.

Due to a snafu at the theater, I walked in about 20 mins into it (estimated) and did not see some of the background of Sandman, as well as the "lying in the web" scene between Peter and MJ when the symbiote 'falls' to Earth (so I was told)....

That said, overall, I thought it was very good. Almost as good as #2 which I thought was probably the next best superhero movie to date behind Batman Begins.

Going in, with news of the 3 villians, I was kinda concerned that either I was gonna sit through 4 hours of character/story development or they would jump from character to character so fast it would ruin it. Well, for the runtime (2:15?) I thought the pace was brilliant the way it basically played out the villians in four separate 'acts', giving them each their proper due and showcasing the SFX for the characters brilliantly. Intertwined in there was also the whole 'black suit' dillema which did not really seem forced at all. The only parts that seemed to drag on were the 'relationship' scenes between Peter and MJ, Peter and Harry, MJ and Harry....

SFX wise, parts were incredible! Like one reviewer locally said, you wtch the movie amazed that it cost ONLY 250M to make, as it looks like so many of the shots cost a billion dollars to make! The transformation scene of the Sandman was ultra cool! Same goes for Venom's character which was heavy CGI. Very neat indeed. I thought some parts "looked" fake (most noticably, parts of the crane scene), but that didn't detract from the SFX being one of the stars of the movie!

Speaking of stars, most of the 'regular' cast was stellar though the 'good Harry' kinda annoyed me with his expressions and demeanor. I mean even in the first movie, did he smile that much and seem so peppy? His villianous/dark side though was solid.

As for the newcomers, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace, in my opinion, stole the show. THC's tragic character portrayal contrasted well with TG's over-the-top brat character. I actually felt sorry for THC and felt like TG got what he deserved when Peter outted him.

Interested to see what others liked or did not like....I give it 8.5 / 10.

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 May 2007 19:42 #9194 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers
I must be one of the few people who has not seen it yet. However, after that review maybe I'll go ~ after I rent #2 that is ~ have not seen that one yet either!!!

More
11 May 2007 05:19 #9231 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers
It was pretty good, but not great. Too many storylines. Too much time devoted to the relationship stuff and not enough time on Venom. Sandman was VERY well done, though.

Personally, I thought they had too many villains. Venom deserved his own separate movie. Just compare the many fight scenes that Sandman got vs Venom having to share the final fight scene and not getting any good solo action. I was surprised that Topher Grace played the character so well, though. He wasn't like the comics version, but this version worked well. Of course, that's why I wanted to see even more of him.

Also, did you notice that they already introduced a new villain for the next one? ;)

YAGS

More
11 May 2007 14:25 #9236 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers

It was pretty good, but not great. Too many storylines. Too much time devoted to the relationship stuff and not enough time on Venom. Sandman was VERY well done, though.

Personally, I thought they had too many villains. Venom deserved his own separate movie. Just compare the many fight scenes that Sandman got vs Venom having to share the final fight scene and not getting any good solo action. I was surprised that Topher Grace played the character so well, though. He wasn't like the comics version, but this version worked well. Of course, that's why I wanted to see even more of him.

Also, did you notice that they already introduced a new villain for the next one? ;)

YAGS

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read alot of reviews that say bascially the same thing that you said. Too many villians that don't get enough storytime. Venom is a big enough villian that he should have had his own movie. People are comparing it to the Joel Schumacher "Batman" movies. Yikes! :shock: :shock:

I'll try to see it in the theatre but my expectations have gone way down.

More
11 May 2007 14:49 #9238 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers

jdrock24 wrote: Venom is a big enough villian that he should have had his own movie.

I thought 3 was a bit too much, but like I said, it paced well for having three and didn't seem rushed. As for Venom not being showcased more, I think I might know the rea$0n!!! :P

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 May 2007 16:48 #9247 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers
Was that the rea$on they didn't show him more?

More
12 May 2007 23:01 #9255 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers
The action was GREAT, the movie was entertaining, the storytelling was awful...

Sandman's storyline was completely unbelievable to me, and I felt what happened with Goblin was a great copout.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
15 May 2007 21:13 #9287 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: Spiderman 3 --- Possible Spoilers

YAGS

I just saw the movie and I have to say I agree with YAGS for the most part.

I thought Thomas Haden Church was spot on as the Sandman. I loved the fact that thay had him in the green striped tee shirt.

I never got in to Venom, I was geting out of spidy comics around the time before Venom. and yes the Venom seens did seem rushed to me too.

I am a simple man and easy to entertain and I enjoyed the movie a great deal

More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds