Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape

19 Apr 2011 15:18 #22733 by mikeyfreedom
Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape was created by mikeyfreedom
This probably won't be everyone's cup of tea but hey ho. Grey Dog Software via Adam Ryland(who is known for his wrestling simulator games Total Extreme Warfare) are bringing out a superhero/ine text simulation RPG. As a fan of his wrestling games, Adam's attention to detail is second to none, and from the original premise sounds ike it could be a lot of fun.

Copied from the GDS forums:

Q. So, what's the story here?
A. "Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape", CBH for short, is going to be my next game for Grey Dog Software, and is tentatively scheduled for a release somewhere near the end of 2011. It's my first professional game set outside the worlds of wrestling and MMA.

Q. "The Greatest Cape"? Really?
A. I like puns.

Q. Sounds interesting, but what's the game actually about?
A. In a nutshell, the game could be described as a "super hero career simulator RPG"; you will take on the role of a super hero and guide them as their story unfolds. Along the way you'll build friendships and rivalries, improve your skills, fight crime, etc, etc.

Q. What style of game can we expect?
A. As with my previous games, CBH is a text-based simulation with a heavy emphasis on strategy, planning, and heavy attention to detail; it's not an arcade "button basher".

Q. What sets this apart from other comic book games?
A. As far as I know, this is the first game of its type that looks at the entire scope of being a super hero and isn't just about beating up villains (although a large combat element obviously does come into play!). You'll also have options when it comes to building relationships within the super hero community, running down leads to solve plots, dealing with your role within the community, your love life, maintaining a civilian identity, making moral choices, "working the street" to get information, etc, etc. There is also an emphasis on being able to play in the style you want, so if you want to be a dark brooding loner, you can, but you could also choose to be a happy-go-lucky crime fighter with a network of close allies with equal ease.

Q. There'll be other heroes to deal with then?
A. Yes. Hugely detailed and constantly dynamic game worlds are an enormous part of the appeal of my previous games and have become something I'm know for - I aim to continue that in CBH. The aim is to match the vibrant and deep environments that you read about in comic books, right down to the supporting cast of non-powered characters.

Q. Can I play as a villain? Can I turn villainous during the game?
A. No. As this is a first-generation product, I've decided to concentrate on getting the heroic side of things working to a high level; obviously if the game does well and there's a sequel, a "dark side" option would be almost certain to be added.

Q. Am I limited to creating my own character to play as?
A. Nope; although the game is primarily designed to be played as a "rookie" hero working his way up the ranks, there is also the option to role play as an existing hero.

Q. Will the game feature characters like Iron Man, Batman, etc?
A. No. Those characters are owned by Marvel, DC, et al. CBH will have a completely original cast of characters. However, as with all my games, a powerful editor is included that allows user-made databases ("mods") to be created.

Q. Funny you should say that, I'm actually thinking of making a mod; is there anything I can do in advance?
A. The best thing you could do is to start to collect character graphics, as this is a heavy part of the game. Each character has two pictures attached to them; a 200x200 picture of their face (used on screens where multiple characters are present, such as during combat) and a 400x600 main picture that is used on profiles, etc; this could be a "full body" picture, an action shot, a picture from the waist up....anything works. The graphics all need to be in JPG format and do not need borders (as the interface already puts a border around them).

Q. When will we find out about what stats are involved, how combat works, etc?
A. The plan is that I will launch a Developer's Journal sometime over the summer, and this will include reports on how the game is coming along, the occasional screen shot, and details on the features that are confirmed to be in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikeyfreedom
  • mikeyfreedom's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Apr 2011 23:50 #22736 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic Re: Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape
Sounds interesting. I think I'll keep an eye on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds