Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

Game Development for iOS and Android

21 Oct 2011 10:19 #25135 by bionicskillz
Game Development for iOS and Android was created by bionicskillz
I would love to get into this especially seeing something like this which looks like something a group of us can do:

cool looking upcoming game

I was just thinking the possibilities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bionicskillz
  • bionicskillz's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2011 14:38 #25140 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android
The game looks nice enough. And I've seen this topic brought up before but it never went anywhere. FYI my "day job" is as a composer and sound designer for mobile apps (though for obvious reasons am not publicizing my pro identity on this site). If anyone else here works in the field & is serious about putting something ubergirl-related together, please get in touch. There's $$$ to be made in this, and I have a few well-developed ideas already in the hopper, but (as you probably know from my inability to finish my Serena story from over a decade ago), having good ideas is not my problem... it's the follow through that kills me.

Anyway, what's needed is an artist and a programmer. The artists are here (though don't know if many of you have any experience with game sprites, etc), but the trick will be the programming.

I've put out a few low-quality offerings that I designed myself using Stencyl (stencyl.com), so it's possible to publish a game without knowing how to program if you're dedicated. I know they're coming out with (or maybe already have) got an iOS version, so all that would be needed would be someone with a developer's license to get it published.

More
21 Oct 2011 19:10 #25144 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android
Follow through is definitely a problem on my part. I mean I work for a comic company as my day job and I don't even draw a comic. I do have a passion for video games, big time. With the invention of mobile and tablets it seems more accessible to someone like me who most likely isn't going to get a job at Capcom, etc.

Yohashuan - I think that's great you already work in development. How does an artist create sprites for games? Any sites you know about I can visit for more info on this type of work?

Thanks.

• bionicskillz
More
21 Oct 2011 19:28 #25145 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android
I am a programmer; not games, but code is code. However, talk about somebody who has problems with following through, that's me.

- GeekSeven

More
22 Oct 2011 19:32 #25155 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android
I'm hardly an expert, but I believe it's no more complicated than just making an image for every possible game instance. Just like any animation you can add as many frames as you want depending on how smooth you want it to be. Look up "sprite sheets" for examples. And www.game-artist.net looks to have a lot of good info, but you'd be better off probably just doing 20 minutes of google searching. It doesn't seem that hard to me (assuming you've already got talent & time), but what do I know?

And it's like you said - with mobile and tablets, the barrier for entry is removed. You don't need to work at Capcom, anyone can put something decent together. I'm not working at some AAA studio either. But putting together enough indie projects to stay somewhat afloat.

So.... 3 people with interest, talent, and knowledge, but none with any motivation. Perfect lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, inactive, Ravens_ghost

More
22 Oct 2011 20:39 #25156 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android
Thanks Yohashuan.

• bionicskillz
More
23 Oct 2011 19:52 #25163 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Re: Game Development for iOS and Android

yohashuan wrote: I'm hardly an expert, but I believe it's no more complicated than just making an image for every possible game instance.

If you're doing sprite based graphics you'll need to produce different sets scaled to the resolutions you need to support. You might also want to focus on getting a workable game engine prototype before you do any graphics, as the engine will determine what graphics you'll need.

More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds