Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

City of Heroes/Villains

04 Sep 2009 19:26 #16627 by superheroinebabes
Replied by superheroinebabes on topic Miss Liberty at comicon City of Heroes

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I saw Miss Liberty at the comicon but was not sure who the woman in black was from City of Heroes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• superheroinebabes
More
04 Sep 2009 19:50 #16628 by superheroinebabes
Replied by superheroinebabes on topic more

• superheroinebabes
More
05 Sep 2009 02:29 #16630 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: City of Heroes/Villains
They were both very nice. The tall brunette was maybe 5' 8" to 5' 9"
and she was in 5 inch spike heels. She was sitting on a stool for two reasons. One, because she would die if she had to stand all day in those heels and Two, so that people who were less than 6'2' could get their pictures taken with her.

I asked her who she was, but she said she did not know her name, but that she was the new character in City of Heroes. Needless to say, both these gals were professional models and real sweethearts to boot!

More
  • superheroinebabes
More
01 Sep 2012 13:30 #28378 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic City of Heroes/Villains
Well that's something that wouldn't not to wrote for reopen this thread but sadly had to. Yest this mess appaerd on COH main page:

na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php

Obviously people didn't liked the idea (when came in players we're on fire after read it). Some told to made a sabotage to NCsoft not buying anything else from here if finally do that, and others have started a signatures campaign asking for save place:

www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncs...-down-city-of-heroes

Looks like there's a good response and of course if anybody wanna add to it go for. Is a very nice game and don't think deserves this end.

And in case sadly our voices aren't heard and somebody that got still some char on, not sure if new accounts would be made, time for the final curtain is November 30th...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
01 Sep 2012 13:50 #28379 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic City of Heroes/Villains
What baffles me is that everything I had heard suggested that the game was profitable. There is only one sensible reason to cancel a profitable product - because it is using resources you can use make more money on a more profitable product. The only resource CoH was using that I can see reasonably being used for anything else is its employees, and they're all being fired.

Either this is corporate politics screwing over paying customers and stockholders alike, or the game is not as profitable as had been commonly believed, possibly due to accounting shenanigans used to hide some of the costs or something. Either way, I'm not particularly happy with NCSoft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albais

More
01 Sep 2012 15:15 #28380 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic City of Heroes/Villains
I think that the big problem about MMPORPG was that so many companies invested heavily on them, thinking that it was the next logical step in videogaming, only to see that they weren't such a big deal after all.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Sep 2012 16:51 #28381 by fats
Replied by fats on topic City of Heroes/Villains

Anon wrote: I think that the big problem about MMPORPG was that so many companies invested heavily on them, thinking that it was the next logical step in videogaming, only to see that they weren't such a big deal after all.

like the next big thing in gaming, augmented reality.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Sep 2012 17:45 #28382 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic City of Heroes/Villains

Anon wrote: I think that the big problem about MMPORPG was that so many companies invested heavily on them, thinking that it was the next logical step in videogaming, only to see that they weren't such a big deal after all.

History repeats itself. Now everyone is jumping on the 'free to play' bandwagon, because they think it's the next big thing.

- GeekSeven

More
01 Sep 2012 19:12 #28383 by willow
Replied by willow on topic City of Heroes/Villains
It may have been profitable at one time, but that time has likely passed. The fact that they moved to a Free to Play model a few years ago shows that the old pricing model was not working. I played CoV back in 2005 to 2006. I logged back into the system about six month ago, and pretty much found nearly the same product that existed 6 years ago. When you compare COH/COV to other superhero (and non-superhero) MMO games, you can see how they have fallen behind in graphics, voice acting, and easily adding new content.

More
01 Sep 2012 19:27 #28384 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic City of Heroes/Villains

geekseven wrote:

History repeats itself. Now everyone is jumping on the 'free to play' bandwagon, because they think it's the next big thing.

Well, I think that it's very indicative that the last MMO to hit the market (Old Republic) features heavy elements of dialogue, opposite to the purely mission based play of the past.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Sep 2012 23:29 #28387 by Revan
Replied by Revan on topic City of Heroes/Villains
Most recent player estimates for CoH put it well below 100.000 active players, which sounds like a fair bit but for a MMO is barely worth continuing. Last week's launch of NC Soft's flagship Guild Wars 2 was the final nail in the coffin.

CoH managed to stay around for 8 years, which is better than most games in the genre.

More
02 Sep 2012 03:32 #28397 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic City of Heroes/Villains

Revan wrote: Most recent player estimates for CoH put it well below 100.000 active players, which sounds like a fair bit but for a MMO is barely worth continuing. Last week's launch of NC Soft's flagship Guild Wars 2 was the final nail in the coffin.

CoH managed to stay around for 8 years, which is better than most games in the genre.

I have never understood this logic. Yes, 100k active players isn't a ton by MMO standards, but for a MMO of CoH's vintage, it's actually plenty to stay profitable.

More to the point, you don't cancel a profitable project unless it is consuming resources you need for something else, and cannot get without cancelling said profitable project. That's throwing away free money.

The only sound business reason - as opposed to stupid corporate politics or accounting shenanigans - that occurs to me for this is that they were in a position where they had to either cancel CoH now, or sign leases that would last past the point where they saw CoH no longer being profitable, or pay extra for short term leases that would make CoH not profitable anyway. I think the fans probably ought to know the actual reason, even if that reason is "Our new marketing director hates CoH and put together a cabal to axe Paragon Studios out of petty vindictive malice."

More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds