Amount
× Polite reminder: some great stuff being posted here; use the THANK YOU button to reward others for their efforts, and encourage further contributions. It's free, but worth a lot..!

Supergirls in videogames

03 Mar 2017 13:39 #52948 by erikphandel
Supergirls in videogames was created by erikphandel
Since we're doing this right now, I guess we should compilate a list of videogames with ubergirl central characters

I'll start with this new MOBA/fighting game called Hyper Universe that's in closed beta in the West at the moment. It features a superheroine called Jennifer, or Hypergirl, with all your classic powers and super tight costume. Sadly most information is only available in Korean at the moment. Frankly I fucking love her costume hu.nexon.com/Info/HyperInfo_Detail/2
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Artnico, slim36, DustyBottums, SCOTT R, Fred9101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• erikphandel
  • erikphandel's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2017 13:47 #52950 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirls in videogames
Hilariously, I was about to start a thread about this too. Well played :).

Video games give us quite a few heroines who are quietly superhuman, starting with the vast physicality and immeasurable slog-through-anything endurance of Lara Croft.

I'm just starting to play Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I have NO DOUBT that Aloy will prove to be similarly dominant in her environment. She's all of six-years-old in the tutorial and already kind of a badass (as six-year-olds go ;)).

More
03 Mar 2017 14:05 - 03 Mar 2017 14:07 #52951 by Akane
Replied by Akane on topic Supergirls in videogames
Bayonetta is a terrific example of a superpowered woman in videogames, I love how sexy she is and how much she loves to show off
Last edit: 03 Mar 2017 14:07 by Akane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, erikphandel

More
03 Mar 2017 16:13 #52955 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirls in videogames
While it is, probably one of the most obscure characters out there, for many years I had an insane crush on Jen from Primal (a PS2 exclusive).

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

For those who didn't play it she is a 21 years old girl with the ability to switch between four demon/elemental forms each one giving her one or more powers.

What sold me on the game though was the fact that Jen was a perfectly viable character even without her powers. She wasn't superhuman in any way, but she was quick-witted, smart and a good knife fighter of her own.

More
03 Mar 2017 17:08 #52957 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Supergirls in videogames

Akane wrote: Bayonetta is a terrific example of a superpowered woman in videogames, I love how sexy she is and how much she loves to show off

It flies over heads a lot but Bayonetta has some serious super strength, lots of display of sexy powers in both games. Thoroughly enjoyed both games
The following user(s) said Thank You: gotham_knight

• erikphandel
  • erikphandel's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2017 17:42 - 03 Mar 2017 17:42 #52958 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirls in videogames

Woodclaw wrote:

What sold me on the game though was the fact that Jen was a perfectly viable character even without her powers. She wasn't superhuman in any way, but she was quick-witted, smart and a good knife fighter of her own.

I think I dated the one in the top left at hight school.

Fats
Last edit: 03 Mar 2017 17:42 by fats.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Mar 2017 17:44 #52959 by Akane
A tangible example of it is in this cutscene

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Artnico, DustyBottums, Lulu, Slim0926, Biggirllover5463

More
03 Mar 2017 17:56 #52960 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirls in videogames
^ Yup, Bayonetta rocks! Love playing it still :dry:

Peace.

/K

More
04 Mar 2017 05:22 #52974 by Engineered-Sorcery
Replied by Engineered-Sorcery on topic Supergirls in videogames
Hmmm... There are some pretty good ones, though it kinda depends on your definition of ubergirl (powerset, power level, etc)

For example, one could argue that most player characters in RPGs (especially fantasy ones) could easily take a 'traditional' ubergirl in a fight when specced properly, but a more traditional 'flying brick' is a bit harder to find.

For more specific examples though, one of my favorites is Selvaria Bles from Valkyria Chronicles. In her normal form she's a capable soldier and a caring leader for her soldiers, but the moment she dons her lance she becomes a nigh-unstoppable force on the battlefield who can obliterate tanks in one shot and tear infantry to pieces, all while ignoring bullets as if they weren't even around. For that matter, any of the Valkyria from that game would count, Selvaria just gets the most obvious demonstrations.

In terms of other super-powered badasses, Lilith and Maya from Borderlands have to be pretty high on that list. While, again, they lack the traditional power-list they make up for it with firepower and super-powers of their own that make them quite the terrifying combatants.

On the other hand, there aren't many Supergirl-style characters I know of in games, and having more would be fantastic!

More
04 Mar 2017 12:28 #52975 by Akane
Definitely Tifa from Final Fantasy VII is another example, fighting giant monsters with just her naked hands.

More
04 Mar 2017 22:05 #52980 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic Supergirls in videogames
I love Bayonetta. My only problem with the game is her scale. Look at those super long legs... She should be well above six feet tall, taller than any runway model. Yet, every male character that isn't a boy, dwarfs her in size. Makes her head and body to look tiny. Insect tiny.

Her scale is off from the proportions of her body for more 'romantic' reasons. that almost breaks the character for me.

More
05 Mar 2017 03:12 - 05 Mar 2017 03:13 #52986 by Whatever
Replied by Whatever on topic Supergirls in videogames
Just giving a quick shout-out to Saints Row 4. Hilarious as ever and lets you potentially feature a fully customisable Ubergirl as the protagonist whose ground stomps cause nuclear explosions.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2017 03:13 by Whatever. Reason: Orthography
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Slim0926, erikphandel

More
05 Mar 2017 03:16 #52987 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirls in videogames
Captain Marvel in Ultimate Alliance II is both very playable and very satisfying.

She's also pretty fun in Marvel Heroes 2017.

More
05 Mar 2017 21:59 - 06 Mar 2017 09:23 #52996 by Woodclaw
Since nobody has tackled the elephant in the room I'm going to: Sarah Louise Kerrigan, sometimes known as "The Queen of Blades".

When she first appeared in Starcraft 1 she was "just" an extra-tough action-girl with the added bonus of mental powers (already so powerful that the Terran had to readjust their psionic scale to include her), but she was soon upgraded to the first version of the Queen of Blades, basically a one-woman army capable of taking down opponents in hundreds and the only cerebrate (i.e. top-level creature of the Zerg hive mind) with a body suited for combat. All the other cerebrates were pretty much massive brains with a rudimentary life-support and devoted just to controll swarms of lower creatures, Kerrigan's mental powers were already so great that she could do that and fight on her own at the same time. The biggest gamechanger was the end of Brood War when Kerrigna became the true engine and pivotal point of the whole Starcraft universe or -- as she eloquently said herself -- "the Queen Bitch of the universe".
I'm not going to spoil any of Starcraft 2 here (unless you want me to), but she remains the true engine behind most of the events and she even manage to get to higher levels of powers.

Granted, Kerrigan doesn't often live up to her full potential, but she is extremely powerful and, most of all, knows how to use her potential. Just for the records her known power include:
  • Telepathy
  • Telekinesys
  • Invisibility (thanks to her mental powers)
After she was rebuilt into the first Queen of Blades she added
  • Regeneration
  • Natural weapons
  • Super-strength (not a whole lot, but she was able to fight opponents many times larger than her)
  • Hive mind control (at her peak she was the mind of an entire SPECIES)
  • Also she was able to rewrite her DNA on the fly to gain one or more traits of any species she, or any other Zerg in the galaxy, had ever devoured

It can be argued that Kerrigan was often the pawn of other or had to be "rescued" in the thick of things but -- I have to point out -- she was in those positions because she was powerful, not because she was powerless. Everyone was after her power -- except for Jim Raynor, but that's another story -- either to destroy it or control it and they sent armies against her just to pin her down long enough.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 09:23 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost, SCOTT R, Revan, DP

More
18 May 2017 21:44 - 18 May 2017 21:44 #54162 by naked.superpower
Replied by naked.superpower on topic Supergirls in videogames
Guys, I'm not sure if some of you were even born when I played Saboteur 2. I think I was 11 or 12. And I think that I started drawing invulnerable girls in just about the same time. Probably this was the point where it all started for me.
There's a ninja girl fighting bad guys. And it would be no fun if there was no secret room with immortality potion.
I shot a small video about this. Basically, a story about a ninja girl becoming super. I hope you enjoy it. Or, guys, did you play it? Did you know about the room? ))

Last edit: 18 May 2017 21:44 by naked.superpower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, SCOTT R, Monty

• naked.superpower
More
18 May 2017 22:11 #54163 by Woodclaw

sidd1333 wrote: Guys, I'm not sure if some of you were even born when I played Saboteur 2. I think I was 11 or 12. And I think that I started drawing invulnerable girls in just about the same time. Probably this was the point where it all started for me.
There's a ninja girl fighting bad guys. And it would be no fun if there was no secret room with immortality potion.
I shot a small video about this. Basically, a story about a ninja girl becoming super. I hope you enjoy it. Or, guys, did you play it? Did you know about the room? ))

I didn't know about this game, but that's unsurprising, by the looks this is probably a Commodore 64 game and that was a little before I started gaming.

More
18 May 2017 22:57 #54165 by naked.superpower
Replied by naked.superpower on topic Supergirls in videogames
Sure, it is very old. I just keep admiring how kid's imagination is capable to think out a whole story and get fascinated with things that simple )

• naked.superpower
More
19 May 2017 05:29 - 19 May 2017 05:33 #54168 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Supergirls in videogames
chrome translation screenshots Hyper Universe

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 19 May 2017 05:33 by slim36.

More
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds